GDT: Game 3: Wings vs ducks 7:30 pm et (FSD)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I find it hilarious, but that's probably because we haven't seen him in any meaningful games. I'd probably feel differently if he did the same in a high pressure playoff game :laugh:
He has. That's why the Caps moved on.

If Greenie was a legit first pair, the Caps wouldn't have signed Nisky. Then Carlson moved ahead, and Green wound up on the third pair before he became UFA.

Reactions: aar000n

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
MLB line was shut down hard tonight. Unfortunately it’s basically just AA you have to worry about after that. Gibson barely tested at all.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Without any secondary scoring this will be common. If you can shut down the first line against Detroit, you're probably going to win. And the Defense definitely looks inexperienced.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2019-10-8_22-11-20.png

Not gonna bother looking up HDCF/A%

Our cycle game in the Ozone & boardwork in our Dzone need a lot of work. We don't seem to have the D that can handle heavy forecheck + Big bodied F's.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Tough 3rd for Bert
It was...My initial comment was a tad too harsh...Personally I see Bert along the lines of a Marty Lapointe...Solid in his skates, enjoys the physical play, and has that knack for those 'greasy goals' around the net, but isn't overly graceful with his stickhandling, nor passing as others.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Without any secondary scoring this will be common. If you can shut down the first line against Detroit, you're probably going to win. And the Defense definitely looks inexperienced.
Most of the turnovers in the D zone were committed by forwards, Bert with the worst one.

They all look inexperienced, because well they are.

If only Helm could actually score, I think he had the most looks.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
At least AA, Larkin & Hronek got a point. Looking at our lineup, we may only have 4F's that break 30pts this year, w/Hirose, maybe 5.

3rd game in 4 nights might've had a bit to do with the loss.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I hate to say it but I think Hirose needs to sit a game, put Svech in. Keep LGD on the second line, he's still playing hard.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
How’s Hirose been playing? I haven’t been able to catch a single game since I’m out of network :ha: Last I saw, he was a speedy Helm-esque winger with more playmaking. What are his weak spots right now?

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Loved the coaching. Structure has been great, and showed adaptability and guts tonight.

Cholowski and Hronek shouldered a heavy load in the 2nd half of the game, and held up pretty well.

Losing Nielsons positioning, combined with Hirose and Erne, etc really struggling to win or keep pucks, combined with early season conditioning and the top line being worn down, we just couldnt get to the finish line.

Mtl is a winnable game if we get our legs back, and maybe a spark/addition somewhere on the wing.

Really impressed with the coaching so far. Loved our attack against Gibson tonight, slap passes and ankle biters etc.

Confident we can bring back that winger trap and bludgeon Mtl.

Reactions: avssuc

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
It was...My initial comment was a tad too harsh...Personally I see Bert along the lines of a Marty Lapointe...Solid in his skates, enjoys the physical play, and has that knack for those 'greasy goals' around the net, but isn't overly graceful with his stickhandling, nor passing as others.

I think it's more of a Holmstrom/Vanek situation. Not athletic enough to maneuver at high speed, but in tight he has underrated mitts and high level awareness of how to protect or advance a puck. That stuff is beyond what Lapointe was imo.

Reactions: opivy

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

I think that's a little unfair...Martin Lapointe was a 4th liner who got lucky playing on a stacked team that could get him points.

Bertuzzi is at least a second liner on his own merits, and he is still developing.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think it's more of a Holmstrom/Vanek situation. Not athletic enough to maneuver at high speed, but in tight he has underrated mitts and high level awareness of how to protect or advance a puck. That stuff is beyond what Lapointe was imo.

Lapointe was a classic 1990s early 2000s power forward. Good shot. Decent skills. Heavy/hard hitter who could fight and fight his way though the clutch and grab hockey of the day.
Bert is nowhere near as tough as Lapointe, but I can kind of see the comparison. Bert has better hockey vision. Skates a little better too, relative to his era.
Lapointe was rougher, tougher and nastier.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Marty Lapointe was better than a fourth liner.

The fact that he was out of the NHL at age 33 and averaged less than .38 points per game indicates otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I liked Lapointe, but he wasn't a scoring line forward. He was a dependable third/fourth line tweener and the fact that his stats plummeted off a cliff when he left Detroit speaks to that fact.

I think calling him a power forward is a bit of a stretch. He was an energy line guy, who could play every night in the NHL, land some decent checks, and chip in a few goals. Wings fans have a tendency to romanticize the late 90s teams. Even looking at ATOI, Lapointe's best season was 17 min/game and his career average is 14. Those 17 minutes, and his best season stat-wise, was in 00-01, a contract year where he also benefitted from Yzerman, Verbeek, and Larionov missing significant time. That's fourth line ice time.

Last edited:
Reactions: vladdy16

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Pretty fun game. That goal called back was a killer. Hitting all those posts also hurt. Wouldn’t say our first line was shut down.

Reactions: Ulysses31

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The fact that he was out of the NHL at age 33 and averaged less than .38 points per game indicates otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I liked Lapointe, but he wasn't a scoring line forward. He was a dependable third/fourth line tweener and the fact that his stats plummeted off a cliff when he left Detroit speaks to that fact.

His last year in the NHL, he was 34 on opening night.
After leaving Detroit, he was consistently a 13-15 goal, 25-40 point guy.
He played 14-15 minutes a night until he was 33.

I think you're not distinguishing between 3rd and 4th liners.
A decent third liner plays 14-15 minutes and scores 10-15 goals and 25-40 points.

A fourth liner, like say Sean Brown or Rob Zamuner PJ Stock (his teammates in Boston), playes 6-12 minutes and scores 6 to 16 points.

Or in Chicago (where he was named captain), that fourth liner might be Jim Dowd, or Karl Stewart or any number of guys.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
View attachment 262275

Not gonna bother looking up HDCF/A%

Our cycle game in the Ozone & boardwork in our Dzone need a lot of work. We don't seem to have the D that can handle heavy forecheck + Big bodied F's.

Despite what TSN claims, giveaways are NOT turnovers.

Giveaway is someone taking the puck off your stick and maintaining possesion.

For example, sending a pass directly to the opposition, IS NOT a giveaway. If it was, Ericsson would lead the league in turnovers for the past 4-5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->