Post-Game Talk: Game 3 - Matt Murray takes over as Pens defeat the Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Aston-Reese is tolerable at times there, but Kuhnhackl just may as well not even be on the ice for all the good he does Riley Sheahan.

Shame. I was texting my brother during the game that if Sheahan keeps playing like he has been, we won't miss Brassard in 15 months. JR's something else with this "buying low" stuff.

Yeah, I'm hoping we keep him here for the longer term, and he's willing to play next year behind Brass for a shot at a cup (assuming we don't win this year). If we win this year, he'll probably ask out, and rightly so. His strong possession numbers and productivity from poor zone starts will make him a target for a lot of analytics driven teams. Old-school owners and coaches will love his heavy play. Hell of a pick up by JR.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
That Crosby play off the face off seems like his response to that hit Giroux laid on him in Game 6 of 2012 on the opening shift. Just schooled him and then the puck is in the back of the net.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It looks insane, but I'd play Kessel with Sheahan right now. Absolutely. Something to get that bottom 6 rolling.

FWIW, I was thinking about that yesterday. Sheahan might be better suited to covering for some of this Kessel’s problems and it would separate Sheary from Kessel.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I keep saying, if our 4th line is going to suck and waste Sheahan, then move him up to line 3 and put Brassard on the wing with either Crosby or Malkin. Jooris can do just as good of a job in that limited 4th line role. The best Kessel has played in the recent past 5v5 IMO is when he played with Sheahan.

At least dress Jooris so that is an option during the game. The other 2 4th liners suck right now anyway.

Reactions: ncm7772

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I keep saying, if our 4th line is going to suck and waste Sheahan, then move him up to line 3 and put Brassard on the wing with either Crosby or Malkin. Jooris can do just as good of a job in that limited 4th line role. The best Kessel has played in the recent past 5v5 IMO is when he played with Sheahan.

At least dress Jooris so that is an option during the game. The other 2 4th liners suck right now anyway.
I completely disagree, because I think the bold is completely false. Sheahan IS our 4th line. Move him to L3 and we just shouldn't even let our 4th line on the ice.

Last edited:

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I completely disagree, because I think the bold is completely false. Sheahan IS our 4th line. Move him to L3 and we just shouldn't even let our 4th line on the ice.

Jooris was fine when he was playing on the 4th line recently.

Our 4th line shouldn't be on the ice as it stands anyway. All they are doing is giving the top 3 a break as it is.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Yeah, I'm hoping we keep him here for the longer term, and he's willing to play next year behind Brass for a shot at a cup (assuming we don't win this year). If we win this year, he'll probably ask out, and rightly so. His strong possession numbers and productivity from poor zone starts will make him a target for a lot of analytics driven teams. Old-school owners and coaches will love his heavy play. Hell of a pick up by JR.

Agree 100%. I'd love to have him back. But as you said, he'll be sought after. I definitely picture several teams throwing big $ at him to be a 3C, and possible even as a 2C for teams struggling down the middle.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Jooris was fine when he was playing on the 4th line recently.

Our 4th line shouldn't be on the ice as it stands anyway. All they are doing is giving the top 3 a break as it is.
he was fine at wing. So was Carter Rowney. I would be cool with playing Jooris over Kuhn or ZAR. But I still wouldn't line Brassard or Sheahan up anywhere but center more than a handful of extra shifts a game.

And having a 4th line that can survive giving the top 3 a break is important, and I don't think we have that without Sheahan there.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
he was fine at wing. So was Carter Rowney. I would be cool with playing Jooris over Kuhn or ZAR. But I still wouldn't line Brassard or Sheahan up anywhere but center more than a handful of extra shifts a game.

And having a 4th line that can survive giving the top 3 a break is important, and I don't think we have that without Sheahan there.

I dunno man, I just feel it's a waste to have Sheahan on the 4th line. Especially when he played well on the 3rd not that long ago. With Kessel no less.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I dunno man, I just feel it's a waste to have Sheahan on the 4th line. Especially when he played well on the 3rd not that long ago. With Kessel no less.
he's not getting any glory, that's for sure. But he's actually 7th for forwards in ice time through three games, above both Brassard and Rust. He's doing a good job in a tough position.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

That said, I would be cool with playing Jooris over Kuhn or ZAR. But I still wouldn't line Brassard or Sheahan up anywhere but center more than a handful of extra shifts a game.

Sheahan should be at center, and yeah he's the only reason you can put the 4th line out there right now. It's not going to get better when Rowney is healthy and is put out there on his RW either. I guess we should try Jooris, or Simon.

One of the issues we have is that Rust and Kuhn appear to be our preferred 2nd PK pairing, and that's no good. Brass needs to be out there. There is no way Kuhnackl should have 10:52 in TOI when Brass has 11:15. Sunday was a ton of special teams, but there will be games like that.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

And people should remember what bad 4th lines do. The Pens spent years having them and we saw it for a lot of this season. It’s f***ing bad and not something you wave off. Try to play sullivan’s system with 3 lines in the playoffs, it’ll end in gassed players.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
And people should remember what bad 4th lines do. The Pens spent years having them and we saw it for a lot of this season. It’s ****ing bad and not something you wave off. Try to play sullivan’s system with 3 lines in the playoffs, it’ll end in gassed players.

Well, we saw what happens on the goal against. That shift started in the O zone, Sheahan got control of the puck behind their net, held good possession, but he's got nowhere to go with the puck. When you're playing with two guys with more than a little bit bad hands, who can't take or make a pass, the puck is going the other way. Once it's in our zone, it's stuck, because those wingers are incapable of getting open for and receiving a breakout.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
And people should remember what bad 4th lines do. The Pens spent years having them and we saw it for a lot of this season. It’s ****ing bad and not something you wave off. Try to play sullivan’s system with 3 lines in the playoffs, it’ll end in gassed players.
To be fair, those 4th lines and their impact were exaggerated by a pretty poorly constructed top-9 as well. But I agree to a point, I just don't think we have the wingers to put with Sheahan to put together a fully competent, dangerous 4th line. It's always going to have one of Kuhn, Rowney, or Jooris--unless Sully decides someone like Sprong, Simon, or another WBS guy can fit.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I know we all appreciate Crosby’s talent, but that goal yesterday was way more impressive than any of his baseball goals IMHO.

Kicking a bouncing puck up to your stick at that speed and having to open your hips and “surf” to the far post, and tucking a puck into the corner with a flat blade... all without losing speed, is insane.

For those of you who have never played, it’s really not as easy as he makes it look. Pulling off a successful wrap around with speed is incredibly difficult, and that’s when you have full possession of the puck before you hit the goalline.

I suspect only McDavid could even attempt something like that and pull it off.

Reactions: PensandCaps

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Do you think Sheahan is better than Brassard?

Why would you put Sheahan ahead of Brassard?
I don't think he's a better player. I think he fits better with Kessel. We should all be aware of how hard it is to find complementary players to guys like him, Crosby, and Geno. Sometimes being a better player, doesn't make them a better fit.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
To be fair, those 4th lines and their impact were exaggerated by a pretty poorly constructed top-9 as well. But I agree to a point, I just don't think we have the wingers to put with Sheahan to put together a fully competent, dangerous 4th line. It's always going to have one of Kuhn, Rowney, or Jooris--unless Sully decides someone like Sprong, Simon, or another WBS guy can fit.
Which is exactly why I think we should just make it a straight up energy/grinding line. Use their speed, dump the puck in, and cycle it for as long as they can before changing for one of the other 3 lines. Sheahan is overkill right now, and it's a diminishing returns kind of thing.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Brassard fits better with Kessel than Sheahan. The problem is Sheary on the line. When Sheahan was with Kessel he had Guentzel...no shit they looked better.

Brassard with Guentzel and Kessel would be alot better than with Sheahan.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't think he's a better player. I think he fits better with Kessel. We should all be aware of how hard it is to find complementary players to guys like him, Crosby, and Geno. Sometimes being a better player, doesn't make them a better fit.

I’ve never seen a goal like what Kessel and Brassard did on the PP last game between Sheahan and Kessel.

The goals that Sheahan scored with Kessel mostly came with Jake on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad