GDT: Game #3 King @ Flam 7pm MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bennett shows good stretches in the top 6 when he gets promoted: "I sleep"

Bennett has a bad game in the top 6: "REAL ****?"

I like Bennett but when he gets a chance he needs to run with it. How many chances do you think he should get?
I am tired of people complaining he didnt get the chance.

At some point, it's obvious he doesnt have what it takes. Mangiepane looked much better than him tonight and that shouldnt be the case.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
After being bumped up at the start of the 2nd, these were the numbers for Mang on the 2nd line.

That's because he's a buzzsaw and actually good. One of the best forecheckers on the team and combines it with some skill, that zone entry where he cut through the slot, spun and hit Tkachuk tape to tape for a scoring chance was beautiful.

I'd also like to add that had Mangiapane been given the ice time his play warranted in his draft year he likely would have been a top 60 pick (instead of undrafted) and I think that he'd be a lot more highly respected amongst our fanbase.

IMG_20171214_130934.png

Last edited:
Reactions: crackdown44

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

Also IMO lines should be

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Dube
Tkachuk-Monahan-Mangiapane
Bennett-Backlund-Czar/Frolik
Lucic-Ryan-Reider/Frolik

I think spreading the wealth is the way to go at this point because Tbh even though they've been scoring the top line hasn't been very good overall.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Welcome to overreaction Wednesday

NHL teams are not stupid and they have video replay. The recipe to beat the Flames was provided by the Aves.
If they Flames are not ready to play like they did tonight, expect a lot more "overreaction"

Reactions: super6646

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think if we are splitting up the top line and moving Lindholm to center it makes more sense to drop him down to the 2nd line. We know Gaudreau-Monahan works together and has with a few different linemates (Hudler, Ferland, Lindholm). We have know idea if Lindholm at center works, let alone with Gaudreau or if Monahan-Tkachuk works so rather than taking two risks try out a Lindholm-Tkachuk pair then assess after that.

I think Lindholm has spent his career on the wing for a reason so doubt that it will be a huge success moving him to the middle but that 2nd line needs to be more than Tkachuk doing it all himself so I have no issue trying different things to get a more balanced line-up.

A think a Bennett-Backlund-Frolik is a great 3rd line but am not that keen on either Ryan or Mangiapane as top 6 RW's. I guess they would get the two spots by default but a Ryan-Mangiapane-Frolik-X RW group has to be by far the worst in the league.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Nice tip by Hamonic for the OT winner

Jankowski is at fault from allowing the pass straight through him, but hammer needs to be better overall. Hanifin is driving the play on that pair and it is isn’t close rn.

Honestly I didn’t stay up past the 2nd period but Jankowski and Hamonic on the ice in 3v3 overtime seems like the problem to me

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Monahan has been our best center by far, arguably the most consistently good forward through three games, yet two people want Lindholm (who was terrible last night) to be our 1st line center over him and split Monahan and Gaudreau up, the only two players who have showed up and played well together.

Classic HF.

Lines should be what they were to end the game last night with Mangiapane on the 2nd and Bennett back on the 3rd, top line untouched.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Jankowski is at fault from allowing the pass straight through him, but hammer needs to be better overall. Hanifin is driving the play on that pair and it is isn’t close rn.

Watching the replay several times, I feel like if it didn't deflect off Hamonic's skate and top shelf, that it may have bounced off Rittich.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I was so mad at Bennett last night after Tkachuk tied it up; I was dropping F bombs like crazy...…..plus again with that damn toe drag; had a guy on my beer league team that tried it all the time at about 5% success rate; Bennett is below that, he needs to get back to basics and use that head of his.

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
I think Bennett puts too much pressure on himself to produce when given top 6 time and in return makes too many mistakes. He never seems to get an extended opportunity to settle in. Also I dont think Backs has looked great so far this year.
I've thought Mony and Chucky would make a good pair for a while as they are both so good around the net and Chucky is good at finding the open man, while Monahan is good at getting open.
The boys just need to play a full 60. It's been a problem for a few years now.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Monahan has been our best center by far, arguably the most consistently good forward through three games, yet two people want Lindholm (who was terrible last night) to be our 1st line center over him and split Monahan and Gaudreau up, the only two players who have showed up and played well together.

Classic HF.

Lines should be what they were to end the game last night with Mangiapane on the 2nd and Bennett back on the 3rd, top line untouched.
Depth.

If it's phrased like this does that make it better?

Tkachuk-Monahan
Gaudreau-Lindholm

Now Tkachuk is being rewarded for his great game vs LA and Lindholm is down a line due to his lackluster start. Could even swap the wingers if that's such a huge deal but the point is we aren't going to win many games if our 1st line which hasn't been as good as last year despite the points is our only non Tkachuk threat. We need a more balanced attack so when the 1st line gets shut down (last night kind of but more notably in the playoffs) we don't automatically lose. Also why not experiment? It's a long season if this doesn't work change the lines back its not a big deal.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Our top line has been one of our best assets to start when they care so I'm not sure splitting them up is the best idea if it's for the fact they don't look good enough. If it is to spread the wealth, then perhaps it makes sense, but I also don't think that it's necessary 3 games into the season. What is being proposed in here is mostly massive shake ups of making Monahan a 2C (obviously he should be 3RW, but I digress), and putting Mangiapane up on the top line.

Instead of all that, we should be making small adjustments. Frolik doesn't play good, but Mangiapane plays good in his spot? Roll with that for a game. Top line looks good enough for the time being, and putting Mangiapane up there doesn't let us see what he can do on the second line which is more of a hole to fill than our 1RW at the moment. Then, we can give Bennett more of a chance in the bottom 6 and try mixing things around in there. These big, sweeping changes just aren't smart and would make sense if we were going on our 6th straight loss, not facing a 1-1-1 record.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Our top line has been one of our best assets to start when they care so I'm not sure splitting them up is the best idea if it's for the fact they don't look good enough. If it is to spread the wealth, then perhaps it makes sense, but I also don't think that it's necessary 3 games into the season. What is being proposed in here is mostly massive shake ups of making Monahan a 2C (obviously he should be 3RW, but I digress), and putting Mangiapane up on the top line.

Instead of all that, we should be making small adjustments. Frolik doesn't play good, but Mangiapane plays good in his spot? Roll with that for a game. Top line looks good enough for the time being, and putting Mangiapane up there doesn't let us see what he can do on the second line which is more of a hole to fill than our 1RW at the moment. Then, we can give Bennett more of a chance in the bottom 6 and try mixing things around in there. These big, sweeping changes just aren't smart and would make sense if we were going on our 6th straight loss, not facing a 1-1-1 record.
What you are suggesting is exactly what the coaching staff is doing and did last year and I agree with you completely.

It's been 3 games and we're .500 and "struggling", it doesn't always click from day 1.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Christ guys it's a line change they aren't set in stone. My new proposition has Lindholm as 2C and Monahan as 1C the order doesn't actually matter. It's about not being so damn top heavy, also why do we have to wait for things to hit rock bottom before discussing anything? It's not like I'm suggesting radical things here, it's legit just an attempt to make the team deeper and more balanced. "We will make changes if we go on a losing streak" is one way to look at it another is the team has looked sluggish in 2/3 games and maybe a change up of the general lines we've had for the past year, could spark something. I'm not saying the seasons over or we're doomed if we don't make changes I'm saying there might be a better way but we don't know because we've never actually tried it.

If it doesn't work then you come out with the original lines after the 1st intermission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->