GDT: Game 3: Islanders VS Team needing to flip the switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
If I'm GMBM, I probably try to get Lavi. He's normally really good for 3 or 4 years, and then he fades off. That's about the time our core will be finished so it'd be good timing to do a full reboot.

But let's be honest, just like Brooks good ole Todd'll be here next year. He's got at least 2 more years in him.
I’d go after Gallant before Laviolette, but either would be better than Reirden.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Do we know what Reirden's contract was? If he's only got a year, he may be gone. If he's got more (as I saw reported he had a 5 year deal) then there's no way he's gone after this year, no matter what.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
I’d go after Gallant before Laviolette, but either would be better than Reirden.

there is something fishy about gallant. Pure speculation on my part, but both his firings came at odd times. If it was just Florida, I would chalk it up to Florida being Florida... but Vegas firing him that quickly too raises a red flag.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
You are blaming Holtby? He was the only player that showed up.
Yes i do. For this year and for many other times he was not able to make that timely save that the team desperately needed.
Also, correct me if i'm wrong but last night was only the 5th or 6th game this whole season that Holtby did not let in more than 2 goals.

I could turn a blind eye to Holtbys record the last 2 seasons which is by the way one of the worst of all starters in the league. But the goals he lets in in the playoffs often happen at the worst possible time and deflate our whole team. We need a goalie who makes timely saves in the playoffs. I don't even care if he lets in 3 or more goals every game. We can still win those games. But if you do not agree that timely saves are very important in the playoffs than we just have to agree to disagree.

1 recent example of a timely save is breakaway goal in game 2 by the Islanders. Right after Ovi tied it 2-2. We needed a save. Game could have went a lot differently.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
I'm half joking and half serious. Fire TR today. Put him out of his misery. He's probably a very decent person and may become a good coach with experience, like Cassidy.

Name Ovi Player/Coach for the rest of the year. If Reggie Dunlop could do it, so can Ovi. You'll see who steps up. If that is enough to go on a tear and win a few games/series/the Cup that's better than watching poor TR have to go through a game four loss. The bonding that will happen will carry over to next year.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
If we gave TR 5 years and laughed Barry out of town for wanting 5 I will be pissed.

The problem with Trotz was a mixture of him wanting the big time coaching money and not sticking to the contract he signed. I can the latter bit miffing the front office, but 5 for 5 isn't that bad a deal. I still think letting Trotz walk was the right choice, Reirden sucking doesn't make that a bad decision. And it was the general consensus at the time that it was the right decision.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don't know how I feel about Gallant, exactly. What he did in Vegas and Florida was great, but then he got weirdly canned both times.

However, I don't think Lavi is the right guy. I used to for sure, when they were younger and had never won anything. But what Trotz did well was create the right culture by being a great person and motivator, and Lavi's a hardass. I'm not sure this group will respond well to that. I recall Orpik's 2018 Player's Tribune piece where he talked about coming to the Caps in part because all of Barry's former players loved him so much and played so hard for him.

And lest I be accused of changing my tune, I still think that Trotz isn't a great tactician and that TR was the idea/systems guy behind the Cup run. But I will admit to underestimating the motivational skills Barry brought. In retrospect, I guess the coaching sum was greater than its parts. I still think BT quit on his team, and I doubt he ever gets to the top again. And maybe Rierden figures it out or finds assistants that work better with his style, but clearly new leadership is needed in DC.

Last edited:

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Do we know what Reirden's contract was? If he's only got a year, he may be gone. If he's got more (as I saw reported he had a 5 year deal) then there's no way he's gone after this year, no matter what.
Where’s that report? I don’t think there ever was a report of that

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Between Galant and Lavi - I like Lavi more - but what it should come down to is who has the better assistants they want to bring in. Caps assistants succckkkk.

we need a complete overhaul with the coaching staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad