GDT: Game 3: Finland Vs Sweden | 1PM EST 7PM CET | SWE 3 - 2 FIN OT

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
If so, I wish Sweden the best of luck with Lukas Dostal.
Funny thing... I swear the coach (Varada) said Dostal was just okay today because he let in 3 goals.lol Russian offence is grotesquely good... I thought 3 goals was really low.haha

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Indeed.

Also Oden is pretty Scandinavian too. I thought "normal" set of Finnish surnames of Swedish origin.

Oden not many ppl are named after the Norse mythology God ! But all in all yeah Tomsen is not of Swedish origin tho more Norwegian or Danish... Tomsson would been the swedish version.

Reactions: Se829ne

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sweden might get russia
Not a chance... IMO anyways.

I think the deadly trio are all going to split points up by the time they're done playing each other... all of those games will be amazing and close. I can't see a team (even as good as Canada) running the table in that group. I'd be shocked if they don't finish 1-2-3 and I'm a very fanatic Czech fan.lol

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Funny thing... I swear the coach (Varada) said Dostal was just okay today because he let in 3 goals.lol Russian offence is grotesquely good... I thought 3 goals was really low.haha

Lukas couldn't do anything against the first two goals. The 3rd goal maybe, but the Russian defender was allowed to walk into the slot to take a freebie shot. I can't see how he could've been better...

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Lukas couldn't do anything against the first two goals. The 3rd goal maybe, but the Russian defender was allowed to walk into the slot to take a freebie shot. I can't see how he could've been better...
Me too!

He is by far our most important player... I really hope I just misred Varada's quote. He gives us a puncher's chance. I can't remember the Russian's name (Philly prospect) but he was awesome all day.. actually, the Russian's were all really good all afternoon. Just one of those games...

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
How ?
It's possible Finland faces one of Canada, USA or Russia in quarterfinal and then it's game over.
Also Kupari's injury is bad news for Finland and why ? because we don't have that extra forward.
how Russia just lost to Czech

Reactions: hn777

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
How ?
It's possible Finland faces one of Canada, USA or Russia in quarterfinal and then it's game over.
Also Kupari's injury is bad news for Finland and why ? because we don't have that extra forward.
Finland is funny... when you have your best players you win. When you don't have your best players.. you win.lol The very definition of quarter final nightmare opponent.

Reactions: Mint

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Finland is funny... when you have your best players you win. When you don't have your best players.. you win.lol The very definition of quarter final nightmare opponent.
We didn't won the group in our 3 latest gold medals. 2x 2nd, 1x 3rd.

This year we won't win the QF because we got no system, which was known the day we got Helminen as our coach.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden

His rebound control was all over the place the first two periods. I think there's room for improvement there, otherwise he was absolute stellar.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
We didn't won the group in our 3 latest gold medals. 2x 2nd, 1x 3rd.

This year we won't win the QF because we got no system, which was known the day we got Helminen as our coach.
We'll see... 3 of the quarters will be amazing matchups. I think Finland now has a very tough quarter against the deadly trio but I wouldn't even flinch if they won. I wouldn't even consider it an upset. The Top 5 are all very evenly matched.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Heinola only played 12 minutes.

Kokkonen 18 mins, Utunen 16 mins, Hatakka 14 mins.

That's surprising.

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
**** happends... Sweden needed goal of the tournament and save of the tournament to get into overtime and Finland was missing Kupari, Kotkaniemi, Lundell, Kakko... overall lucky win
Yes. Pure luck without Dahlin & co. What was the shot count again?

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Söderström looks slick as hell, good skills
Yeah he was good with the puck on his stick, him and Sandin did look pretty messy in the defensive zone though. Was pretty underwhelmed with Sandin, I hope he picks it up when the games start to matter.
The only way this team can do any damage is if the whole D group lives up to its potential and Sandin is the most crucial part of that group also Holtz/Raymond needs to show they can be true difference makers already. The Höglander line is good but they can’t be the only productive line.
PP needs to be sharper as well. Not loving Lundkvist on the half boards and would love to see Albin Eriksson as the net front guy once fully healthy.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
His rebound control was all over the place the first two periods. I think there's room for improvement there, otherwise he was absolute stellar.
I'd buy him a beer if I saw him.lol

Russia was going globetrotter on us for long stretches! We had a 9 minute stretch without a shot in both the first and second period... the fact it wasn't 5-2 going into third is all Dostal. Czechs probably have 3 players that would make the big 5 teams and he's one of them.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
It’s called ”sisu”. Google it.

While I'm the first to shout for Raimo Helminen as an example of embodiment of Sisu as a hockey player in Finnish context, I'm not alone to put asterisk to his ability to instill that Sisu from his youth team as a hockey coach.

And indeed, without the rudimentary understanding on concept of Sisu, its impossible to get deeper in the Finnish psyche and culture.
Sisu - Wikipedia (Highly recommended reading).

Other topic is then how well Finns themselves as a collective can comprehend with the concept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->