Goal-Day Thread Game 3: Coyotes @ Ducks - 7PM - FSAZ

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I always thought that Perlini had great hockey player written all over him, up to his neck. Is he stupid? He looks so lost out there. It's not like Rocket Tocchet has such a sophisticated system.

Tocchet on Perlini in a recent article in The Athletic...

“Perls is a great kid and I enjoy coaching him, but something he has to work on is his mindset,” Tocchet said. “He always has to be ready and it seems like he kind of filters in and out. I think Perls sometimes hits the ice and he’s thinking too much and by the time he reacts it’s too late. I would like to see him take charge and think, ‘When this guy has the puck and has a scoring opportunity, I’m going to get there and I want that puck,’ instead of processing and then saying, ‘OK, I’ll go.’

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Dylan Strome is our best center at this point in time. Strong on the faceoffs. He has played well defensively. Someone criticized his defense. He may not be perfect defensively but I think he has played well defensively... better than others. Wow he can pass the puck. Almost every shift his line was effective.

Crouse looks good. I like Hinistroza. Lots of hustle. His goals will come. I can't wait until we get Gally and Dvo back. Kempe is all speed/forecheck and not much else. Grabner looks really good. Enjoying the PK guys pressure the damn puck and not sitting back. Been impressed by Bushkin, strong on the puck and looks solid defensively. Enjoying watching us carrying the play and outshooting the other teams. The sticky line was good. Pearls needs to find some confidence.

With Boosh I rember toch saying he is a player who can stop a cycle and use his body... Totally saw that tonight. He's pretty good at bodying up his guy to make a board battle happen.

I honestly don't think Stepan's line was great tonight. Felt like they got pushed on their heels or it wasn't clicking for a lot of the game. Some flashes but wasn't consistent.

Agree with Crouse and Hino too. I hope they can get rewarded a bit... Just gonna shortcut and say ditto on eveeyevery else ya said too haha.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Nice win. Outshot the Ducks by quite a bit again. A lesser goalie would hablve let in 3-4. Of course there was a goal against waived off in the first, and a depleted Ducks lineup but I will take the win.

Strome looks like he has turned the corner. Best three NHL games of his career. If he can keep this up theres no doubt in my mind that he can be a 50-60 point center, with another level to reach. He is actually becoming a positive factor in his own zone. Still excellent in disrupting plays in the neutral zone, and is becoming more confident in the offensive zone, allowing him to be more creative.

Hammer was very very solid. KConn looked like a top 4 defenseman. Demers wasnt a shit-aster but wasn't great. OEL has been solid but not allstar quality yet, still better than his starts the past couple seasons. Boosh has been very solid. He could turn into something. Knows his place and doesnt stray from it, always seems make the right play ala Hjarlmassen.

Keller looks like he is trying too hard. Needs to be taken off center and maybe reunited with Stepan and Panik. Speaking of, both looked solid but Panik especially was itching for a goal. Glad to see Stepan get more pk time and not have to be the focus of the offense.

Grabner-Ritchie-Cousins line was excellent. Hope they take a trip to Fiji or the Barbados to solidify the line name.

Hino and Fischer still have quirks to work out, but the toolset is there. They will start putting up points soon. Crouse needs some PP time in front of the net and needs to start playing more recklessly.

Perlini needs to take a seat once we can replace him with a NHL quality player. Too bad Merkely isnt healthy. I'm ready to send Kempe down but he is a decent call up. Goligoski had a rough game, I feel like we dont have a great partner for him.

Progress. Let's beat Buffalo.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
So Strome played over 17 min. Was basically our number 2 center ... He was 71% on the faceoffs ...

I know people dont like Richardson , but man that 4th line really kept up the puck possession... Hoepfully Cousins can top his goal total from last year..

I wouldnt mind tryin hinostroza on the 4th line and moving Grabner up. I think Hinostroza is awesome and can see him becoming quite the playmaker.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Was a good day. Good to get a goal, good to get a win that I didn't expect, Strome was great, and Todd Walsh reveals that he is a vampire.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Keller got the 2nd star of the game but honestly I think Strome was tonight.

ArizonaCoyotes19

May 28, 2008
Winnipeg
hockeylists.com
Late to the party but here my thoughts on thew win.

Pro's:
Strome looked great out there, glad he got a chance to play with Keller

Grabner is going to make watching our PK exciting. His speed and effort to get the loose puck on the SH goal was fantastic.

Mario Kempe has impressed me, would rather keep him as an extra forward when we are healthy over a guy like Archibald.

Raanta was once again solid. He made soke huge saves to keep it 1-0.

Cons: Perlini had another bad game. I know it's early but he has to produce something or I can seen him being a healthy scratch at some point.

Even though we got a PP goal, I still think it needs a lot of work. Hopefully when Galchenyuk gets healthy It will give it a big boost.

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
Not enough NHL-caliber players on this team. The following are not NHL-caliber, they are mediocre AHL players at best.

-Perlini
-Cousins
-Kempe
-Crouse
-Hinostroza
-Fisher
-Richardson

1/2 of our forward lineup isn't good enough for the NHL. What results do you expect? 1 goal in 3 games sounds about right.

This seriously has to be the biggest joke of a post I've seen on here. Perlini scored 17 goals last season. Is he a top line player? No, but he's a decent scoring forward.

Cousins shouldn't be playing in the role he is, as he is a bottom 6 forward, but he's a dang good defensive forward, same with Richardson.

Kempe is young and we're still trying to figure out what he has.

Crouse and Hinostroza are both growing in their roles and are very serviceable NHL'ers.

Fisher will be out power forward, much like Doan was. Scoring will come as he learns to play in the front of the net.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Once the regular season started Strome picked right up where he left off last year (let's pretend the preseason didn't happen). He looked great. Great on the dot, great in the D zone, great on the forecheck, had a few classic Strome "how the f*** did that pass get through" passes, and a nice goal.

Stepan still doesn't thrill me. I think he was good the two games, hopefully he gets back to that level. Goose and Demers, mostly Demers, need to remove their heads from their asses. Our vets besides OEL need to step up.

In general we need to play more physically. In front of our net we need to plant forwards on their asses, in front of the opposing net we need to crash and stay there. Also if the other team is going to run our goalie and hit our players from behind and refs won't do anything, we need to.

The great thing is our center depth could be insane when Dvo and Chucky come back. I think we have the wing depth to roll 4 lines, but maybe Dvo playing in Chucky's wing works better. Either way Strome emerging as at least a 2C is great. Now to get him to 1C level, let's have him work out with Grabner and eat 3 cartons of eggs a day.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He still hasn't even really filled out. At 6'3 he has another ten or fifteen pounds to go.
He's gaining confidence, now he needs the consistency. His skating is at the NHL level, he's getting involved in the play along the boards, and he's doing that little extra to make things happen. What has surprised me is his D play and his FO%. He's killing it at the moment in those areas.

Reactions: Yandover and Mosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->