GDT: Game #3: Chicago Blackhawks @ St. Louis Blues (10/09/13, 7:00PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I just made the mistake of going over and reading their GDT. Now I remember why I hate the hawks so much. I laughed pretty hard at the poster calling Blues fans arrogant and cocky. Pot...meet kettle.

On one hand I find statements like that bizarre. The Blues have one of the most even-handed fanbases on HF, as multiple neutral observers have commented over the years.

On the other hand, I like that it signifies the rivalry goes both ways. I can't stand the Blackhawks (but I do respect their team and coaching). I hope the fans are at each others' throats, though, if that means we have a deep abiding rivalry.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Then I get a medal. Yay!

xEetXlt.jpg

illninofan*

Hopefully the transition game for the bottom two D-pairings don't bite us in the ass. LGB

Ugh, this xover9000.

Then again, maybe the Hawks would be doing us a favor if they exposed them, and Hitch finally pull his head out of his rear and does the right thing.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
One of my good friends from college is a Blackhawk fan. We've learned to co-exist.

He's not like some of the guys over there that think Backes is a thug though. No idea where they get that :laugh:

I'd get hating him for how good he is, but as far as thugs, I don't get it. I could see Reaves or Jackman based on some history, but not Backes.

Ah well. Here's hoping for a win.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I can't ever look in their GDT because it's always full of a bunch of morons just talking **** and spouting ridiculous stuff.

As for the game, I think we get murdered. While we have won our last 2 games we have struggled to get the puck out of our zone. If we continue to struggle against a team like the Hawks they will be in for a rude awakening and Halak better be ready for a barrage of shots.

EDIT: Ha! And they call us arrogant fans....
We've had 3 days of rest. If we get murdered by the 'Hawks then this team has problems. I know the 'Hawks are good but there's no excuse for the Blues to not at least make this a close game.

Looking forward to it, I'm optimistic. I hope it's physical because it's hilarious seeing 'Hawks fans call us goons. I love it.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
The last full season, the Blues won the Central. Last year was a weird year playing 48 games in 49 days (it seemed), which isn't conducive to the Blues style. This year, the Blues will continue where they left off and win another division title.

The Blues finished 17 points behind Chicago last year in 48 games. They did not lose the division because of the compressed season.

At any rate, this year will also be compressed because of the Olympics.

But that isn't bad news for St. Louis, because your post is mostly hot air.
The impact of average time in between games/season length on team success is negligible at best. These guys are professional athletes.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The Blues finished 17 points behind Chicago last year in 48 games. They did not lose the division because of the compressed season.

At any rate, this year will also be compressed because of the Olympics.

But that isn't bad news for St. Louis, because your post is mostly hot air.
The impact of average time in between games/season length on team success is negligible at best. These guys are professional athletes.

I definitely think playing a condensed schedule hurts high energy, gritty, heavy forechecking teams more than a team like the Hawks. Not saying the Blues would have made up 17 points, but it would have been closer than that. Right or wrong, that's my opinion.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
One of my good friends from college is a Blackhawk fan. We've learned to co-exist.

He's not like some of the guys over there that think Backes is a thug though. No idea where they get that :laugh:

I'd get hating him for how good he is, but as far as thugs, I don't get it. I could see Reaves or Jackman based on some history, but not Backes.

Ah well. Here's hoping for a win.

Of all the statements the hate on Backes' ability is the most bizarre. I understand disliking him just as I really dislike Kane. But I would be lying and crazy to say that Patrick Kane isn't a top notch NHL player, because he is.

But whatever, here's to hoping we fix our issues in our own end. It's going to be a tough game but I have confidence.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Why would teams that play gritty benefit more from less games? That style should lead to more injuries...

Anyway, here's to a good game with no injuries.

Cheers.

Less time between each game, which means a harder time sustaining that type of physical presence.

Not using it as an excuse, but it does seem rather logical.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Why would teams that play gritty benefit more from less games? That style should lead to more injuries...

Cheers.
Less games probably means less chances of injury, just saying. Also easier to keep that intensity for a shorter period of time.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Less time between each game, which means a harder time sustaining that type of physical presence.

Not using it as an excuse, but it does seem rather logical.

Plus, I don't think anybody is using that to say the Blues are as good as the Blackhawks or anything like that. It's just a lot less reductive than going OOOOP CUP! or comparing point totals or head-to-head record and that's that. Until further notice, the Hawks are the best team in the league, however, they've lost some good depth and the Blues are very good and getting better.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
We've had 3 days of rest. If we get murdered by the 'Hawks then this team has problems. I know the 'Hawks are good but there's no excuse for the Blues to not at least make this a close game.

Looking forward to it, I'm optimistic. I hope it's physical because it's hilarious seeing 'Hawks fans call us goons. I love it.

We better hope we can clear the puck out of our zone then against the likes of players like Toews and Kane instead of players like Fisher and Goc.

I really just want Jackman with Shattenkirk :(

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Plus, I don't think anybody is using that to say the Blues are as good as the Blackhawks or anything like that. It's just a lot less reductive than going OOOOP CUP! or comparing point totals or head-to-head record and that's that. Until further notice, the Hawks are the best team in the league, however, they've lost some good depth and the Blues are very good and getting better.

I'm so sick and tired of everyone acting like a cup means they win every argument. A cup is in the past...That's why they play the games. Besides, it's not like we bring up the Cubs when we get the chance. We just get caught up with personal attacks, and nonsensical arguments. Fortunately, our board weeds out those "fans" quickly. Probably why we're such a small group on this site. :laugh:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
As an aside, I thought the notion that the 48 game schedule meant more games in less time was pretty well debunked. The density of games over time was only trivially higher last year....not enough for some kind of trend like discussed above.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I think the thug and goon talk is more about The Blues organization (1967 to 2013), back when St. Louis and then also Philly were the toughest teams in hockey.

illninofan*

I think the thug and goon talk is more about The Blues organization (1967 to 2013), back when St. Louis and then also Philly were the toughest teams in hockey.

Rather be a thug team that plays hard on the ice than a team that whines and beats up cab drivers for $0.20.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range

Same reason Wings fans all during the mid 90's and in to the end of the division believed the Blues were thugs.
When a fanbase typically sees ice-dancers that fanbase thinks everyone should play no-touch, offensive-only hockey.
Therefore a grittier player like Backes looks like Marty McSorley on a PCP-binge because he gets a bit physical with their players; to say nothing of the Blues' consummate troll, Barret Jackman.

I have to hear about the Blues goonery (and Boston's and LA's) on a regular basis from people who were unaware hockey existed until 2009...thus I am rather well-versed in this particular realm.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
And we still are one of the tougher teams in the league, pretty much always have been. I'd much rather be like that than be a soft team (not calling Chicago soft, just getting my point across).

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Cheers.

Have you played football before? A heavy hitting team like the Blues would benefit by having more time between games. Common sense.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Same reason Wings fans all during the mid 90's and in to the end of the division believed the Blues were thugs.
When a fanbase typically sees ice-dancers that fanbase thinks everyone should play no-touch, offensive-only hockey.
Therefore a grittier player like Backes looks like Marty McSorley on a PCP-binge because he gets a bit physical with their players; to say nothing of the Blues' consummate troll, Barret Jackman.

I have to hear about the Blues goonery (and Boston's and LA's) on a regular basis from people who were unaware hockey existed until 2009...thus I am rather well-versed in this particular realm.

It's weird. The Blues don't have and rarely have had vicious, head-hunting goons like Marchment, Cooke, Owen Nolan, or Torres. I never thought Pronger was that dirty in the scheme of things and he was still considerably dirtier than Backes, Jackman, or Lapierre are.
Fans just get up in arms when you go after their stars despite the fact that that's the way to win. The Hawks absolutely try to target guys like Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, and Shattenkirk. The difference, other than allegiance and even any perceptible bandwagonning, is that the Hawks' tough players have frequently rotated, while the Blues' tough players are mainstays.

In another decade, the shoe could be on the other foot. If that's the case, as long as we aren't talking about serious head-hunters, I hope Blues fans realize that being mean is a big part of hockey.

ryman112

Dec 9, 2012
Hey guys Im so pumped about this game. Too bad I'm out of town working. I got cardinals on the radio but cannot pick up the blues radio? Is there a way to listen online or maybe a feed you could point me too? Im grateful for any help:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->