Game 3 - Canada (OHL all stars) vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
thorspartak said:
yeah, fatigue was obvious since first minutes of the nite, whereas the OHL team was all over the tired Russians after seeing how the RS dismantled the Q in two games.

They didnt dismantle the Q.

The OMJHL hit 7 posts in 2 games and Khoudobin stood on his head. Meanwhile the OHL gets 2 softy goals.

The QMJHL by far were the most physical compared to the OHL.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I'm a pretty unbiased fan of junior hockey. One of my best friends is playing in the QMJHL right now, I've known a lot of guys in the WHL and I have nothing against the OHL but after the games against the Russian Selects I'd have to say that the QMJHL>>>OHL teams.

Though this has little to do with which league is better, just the teams in the tournament.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
La-La-Laprise said:

The OMJHL hit 7 posts in 2 games and Khoudobin stood on his head. Meanwhile the OHL gets 2 softy goals.

Yeah... I certainly didn't understand the dismantling comment... winning 2 games in shootouts is a dismantling?

Relying on great goaltending while scoring some soft goals is a dismantling?

As for 3 games in 4 nights... guess what? The Q guys and the OHL guys had to do it too... for instance Pouliot and Roussin on the Q team were playing their 8th game in 10 days... there is fatigue everywhere.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
yeah, wrong term. meant won impressively in one part of the game the Q apparently weren't as good - the shoot-out.

and I do agree that the Q look much stronger than the OHL, and the reasons stated above by (forgot who) are all valid.

La-La-Laprise said:

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
true that. without Radulov and Khoudobin the RS didn't look as dangerous.

though Kuznetsov was brilliant at most times except for the time he lost his composure and let two definitely soft goals in.

markov` said:
It's normal that OHL team win against the Russia and the Q teams doesn't. The best player and the best goalie of team Russia were playing against the Q... not against the O.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
he is yet to prove his skills
honestly Mikalishin is the best Russian deeman so far.

X-SHARKIE said:
I can't waite to see these games.

My question for you guys is how has Kirill Lyamin looked?

Personal favorite of mine and drafted him at 28th overall in a keeper league. So I need him to shine lol.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Starsdude said:
How did Crombeen Look
Crombeen did his job, basically. He was one of the few crash-and-bang types in the OHL lineup, and he played well with Little. While it was Little who made everybody sit up and blink their eyes at his dazzling moves, it was perhaps Crombeen who subtly helped him do it with some good work on picks and generally digging in the trenches. They were very complementary out there and made that line very effective. (By contrast, Wolski seemed like an afterthough out there... he was sort of like the big Perry-Carter-McGrath line, in that he did some things individually well out there, made some nice plays, but I got the feeling you could have put anybody in his spot and nothing would have changed).

On the other line, it was Blunden who played the effective crash game that Crombeen showed. I hadn't really realised Blunden was quite that energetic or able to be quite so physically effective. He really did well, and looks like a good up-and-down winger package for the draft. That line struck gold because they additionally had *two* creative elements, with Richardson and Pouliot. This was my first time seeing Pouliot play, and he won me over much as Luc Bourdon did for the Q. He made me think of the early-days Keith Primeau, in that while he wasn't really quick or dynamic, he seemed instead to slow the opponents down all around him, and then he could sort of majestically set things up, especially from behind the net, or sweeping around to the front. I'm not saying he's slow, mind you, just that he kind of has that "control" over the tempo of the game when he has the puck. If he can fill out a bit more, he could be a really dominant player with that style.

On D, I think Syvret erased any lingering hopes any Q d-men might have had for an invite to the WJC camp. Syvret is in as the smallish skill d-man in the camp, he has to be. Kyle Quincey was probably the one who impressed me next-most. They were solid. Nothing wrong with anybody else back there, though. They weren't tested a lot, same goes for Munce in goal. Parent and Staal gave the same steady-poised-comfortable showing that Bourdon and Paquet did for the Q, but didn't really step up. Just playing solidly and effectively as 17-year olds in a game like this speaks volumes enough, I'd say.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
X-SHARKIE said:
I can't waite to see these games.

My question for you guys is how has Kirill Lyamin looked?

Personal favorite of mine and drafted him at 28th overall in a keeper league. So I need him to shine lol.
Personal favourite of mine too (on reputation), but I can't say I've been impressed with him so much in these games. Like I said in the Q game write-up, his timing seems to be a bit off. And I think his jock strap is still spinning on the ice in Barrie, courtesy of Little. Lyamin still looks like he has all the tools, but he seems to need to put it together more in game actions. I dunno how many games he had played so far this year on Russia, or if he has just been doing a lot of practising. He looks a bit rusty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad