GDT: Game 3-Blue Jackets-Coyotes: Today at 8 PM

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
There ya go, like I was saying. Just put Sullivan with Doan, see what happens. Too bad it came at the expense of Hanzal. Boedker is just on right now, so when Hanzal comes back just keep him there with Vrbata.

Got some good grindage this game with out 4th line. They couldn't do anything around the net, but had some good possession. I wanted OEL to just skate the puck right up the middle whenever he got it, he so good. He did it a few times after our forwards couldn't even gain the zone on a PP.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
My 3 Stars.....

1) Sullivan
2) OEL
3) LaBarbara

Yeah, I was at the game and that would have been my three as well but I can't really find much fault with #89 getting a star tonight. And if I had to axe one of the three to give Labarbara one, no way could I see taking it away from Sullivan or OEL. So I just have to hope Labarbara knows how huge he was for us and that his effort is appreciated and leave it at that for this game.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Just got back, I loved the offensive outpouring after the 1st period. I have to ask though, I felt like after the 4 on 3 powerplay we had, after there were offsetting penalties, followed by a penalty by Columbus(3rd period), both players from each team came out of the box and we were playing 4v4 for a bit. Maybe I was just slightly intoxicated, but I started counting players on the ice, and found the fifth, but it really felt like we were playing 4v4 when we should have had a 5th on the ice.

Either way, good job by LOL to stand in net. I felt he should have had that shot from the blue line. But either way, he made some good saves, and the team built confidence in front of him because he was able to make saves. I just hope we build on this.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
It's something with his groin/legs, so being a goalie it could be a mid to long term injury. Could just be cramps. Hard to say, because he left during a commercial break. I'm going to guess cramps or something nagging. Wasn't on any one particular play.

I'd suspect it was groin - one of the early saves of the game, he had to slide from left to right across and it did look like he stretched to his fullest to get there. He left a short time after that.

OEL's 2nd goal was short side - just devastating to see a kid that young take a little off the shot and place it right over Mason. So smooth. He still hasn't reached the peak of how good he can be. He had a couple of gaffes tonight when the puck got caught in his skates, but I have yet to see him make a truly poor decision on the ice in probably the last 50 games or so, going back to last season. Franchise defenseman whom I would never entertain a trade offer for. EVER.

Loved the Sullivan-Vermette-Doan line. Some good chemistry there.

Yandle did not play quite as poorly as he did in the first two games. Isn't it funny how once he starts to do the things that should be done (shoot when given the lane, rather than the fake slap shot routine and actually maintain reasonable position on the ice), we look more like the team of old that wears down other teams and doesn't beat ourselves?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Oh, and Bissonnette played well. He actually beat defensemen twice for pucks behind the opposition's goal (one of which would have definitely been an icing call). He's more talented than people really want to give him credit for along the boards, specifically behind the goal. Even going back to the past two years, he's always had a few times when he gets the puck behind net and moves it right in between the circles for a scoring chance (even if one of our forwards is unable to get lumber on the pass).

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Oh, and Bissonnette played well. He actually beat defensemen twice for pucks behind the opposition's goal (one of which would have definitely been an icing call). He's more talented than people really want to give him credit for along the boards, specifically behind the goal. Even going back to the past two years, he's always had a few times when he gets the puck behind net and moves it right in between the circles for a scoring chance (even if one of our forwards is unable to get lumber on the pass).

There were also times he didn't get to the puck. I could go away with him when Torres comes back and keep Bolduc.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I must say though, Lombardi and Boedker, if they keep playing together could really create some opportunities. Those 2 kids just fly down the ice.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Always nice when OEL and Boedker have good games. Does anybody remember which game in the series it was when they got into it with Kane and Toews? I loved that moment.

I don't like #8 on Lombardi. It just looks weird, it almost feels like he's playing half-naked (yes, I'm weird). I think he should have gone with #51, he missed a grand opportunity to go Price is Right on Vermette. Also, with the roster moves and number changes, it's been hard for me not to get Sullivan, Korpikoski, and Stone confused. It doesn't really help that Korpikoski and Stone look a teensy bit similar with their helmets on from far away.

Game 3.

Agreed about Lombardi's number. It feels so weird seeing him with Upshall's number, especially since they were both traded here at the same time and were playing on the same line.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
There were also times he didn't get to the puck. I could go away with him when Torres comes back and keep Bolduc.

And many of those times were when he was the low forward and we were going for line changes, so he was the only one left to pursue. Any forward will have some trouble with that.

Bolduc is just a big individual. Also has a little dangle to his game and anyone who gets in his way has to contend with not only slowing him down, but then being able to get around him. Very likable player for this team.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The other thing I love about OEL is he doesn't take crap from anyone - when those two roughing minors happened to go to 4-on-4, OEL got shoved first, and IMMEDIATELY came back at the Blue Jacket.

No fear in his game whatsoever...

lockstock

Dec 16, 2007
Kauai
The other thing I love about OEL is he doesn't take crap from anyone - when those two roughing minors happened to go to 4-on-4, OEL got shoved first, and IMMEDIATELY came back at the Blue Jacket.

No fear in his game whatsoever...
He has the best casual ****-eating grin. He just laughs at them as he pushes them into the boards. I can see why his old team back home had a special song and dance for him.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
OEL reaction towards the crowd after he scored his second goal screamed "I'm a badass, believe it" when I saw him look up above me.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
OEL reaction towards the crowd after he scored his second goal screamed "I'm a badass, believe it" when I saw him look up above me.

As an RFA headed into next year, where exactly does that put us in terms of years and salary that we can offer? He is still on entry-level contract, which means he can only get a raise of a certain percentage, correct? I say sign him to a deal with that full percentage increase (whatever it may be), and as soon as one season is done, offer him an extension for the max term of years that the CBA will allow. Don't even let another team have a chance to sign him...

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
As an RFA headed into next year, where exactly does that put us in terms of years and salary that we can offer? He is still on entry-level contract, which means he can only get a raise of a certain percentage, correct? I say sign him to a deal with that full percentage increase (whatever it may be), and as soon as one season is done, offer him an extension for the max term of years that the CBA will allow. Don't even let another team have a chance to sign him...

Max max max. Whatever it is the most we can offer, we have to do it. Some other team will do it if we don't. This kid is just, unreal. And the more games he has where he does what he did tonight, he's only going to score more goals as his confidence rises.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
8 years, 45 million. Every GM in the league would and should give up 4 firsts for OEL, so It wouldn't surprise me if there were some predatory offer sheets.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Just finished work and watched the highlights. Boy did Sully decide to show up or what? I was getting a little worried after he was completely invisible during the previous two games. OEL.. dat wrist shot. Honestly, even he knows 99% of the time if he gets off a clean wrister, it's in the back of the net. And of course, LOLbarbera wasn't so LOL. Looks like he made some key saves along the way.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Anyone else besides me thinks we need to revamp the entire 4th line?

Everyone knows that #12 shouldn't be playing any amount of hockey on this team and then Bolduc looks fine going forward, but defensively against these quicker players, he's a train wreck and poor Chips is left trying to clear the zone on his own with the other two Dmen.

I would surmise Bizz is getting more ice time because it's a packed season (they hopped a plane for SJ right after the game), and with a big lead you aren't going to run your horses into the ground.

Tipp said at the outset he was going to be rotating people around a lot to keep them as fresh as possible.

albertabound

Jan 25, 2008
You are joking???????

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I've always believed Paul Bissonnette has the potential to be a regular shift 4th line player. However, over the last three plus years, it has become perfectly clear that this is not the team where he can learn to become that player. We need all twelve forwards contributing each and every night in order to be successful. If he played for Edmonton, Chicago, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, or Philadelphia I think he could make an NHLer of himself.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Didn't take long for Moss to figure out scoring with the coyotes; retrieve puck, feed Ekman-Larson, goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad