GDT: Game 3: Avs @ Jackets - 5PM

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yeah I was hoping we'd get some of that lackluster CLB play from their home opener but they came out determined
But damn Ghetto and Kam need to replace Gork and Dries really soon

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
While I like our bottom 6, I think they play hard and do good things out there, they could really use a bit of skill. Calvert, Compher, Nieto, Bourque, Dríes all play the same straight line game to varying degrees of ability. Having guys like Andrighetto and Kamenev added to the line up will help balance it and make the bottom 6 more of a scoring threat. Personally I'd take Nieto and Dríes out. Gork has been very good on PK.

Reactions: S3rkie

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
While I like our bottom 6, I think they play hard and do good things out there, they could really use a bit of skill. Calvert, Compher, Nieto, Bourque, Dríes all play the same straight line game to varying degrees of ability. Having guys like Andrighetto and Kamenev added to the line up will help balance it and make the bottom 6 more of a scoring threat. Personally I'd take Nieto and Dríes out. Gork has been very good on PK.

Dries first and if Nieto doesnt step it up, its his spot to lose to ghetto.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I honestly don't think Bourque is that much better than McLeod, and about the only thing he's truly better at is blocking shots. I might even go further and say McLeod had better hands. He's just a grinder, his defensive acumen is really overrated. I know he won't sit first but I wish it were him taken out of the lineup first.

And really, this "Good on the PK" is not a great measure of any player. It's exceedingly easy to take a one-note grinder and have him be good on the penalty kill. It's the system in place, the defensemen, and primarily the goaltender that define a good PK vs. a bad one.

Reactions: McMetal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I understand that Bednar wants a shutdown line and Soda is pretty much the only center physically suited to do it but I really want to see Soda centering the 2nd line with some offense on the wings. Giving him Nieto and Bourque completely kills his offense and we need it.

Why not try to grow Compher as our future shutdown C? Then Soda, Kerfoot and Wilson on the 2nd line.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think Dries has to come out. It sucks for him because he was fine in the first two games but he was noticeable in all the bad ways last night. You can’t be making those kind of mistakes when you’re a limited bottom six player. The Avs having a better and more talented option, who is now healthy, sitting in the press box should make the decision that much easier.

Overall I don’t expect Bednar to make big changes to the lineup but if this continues then something will need to be done about that Soderberg line. Calvert-Soderberg-Compher looks decent on paper.

Last edited:

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
I took away two things from last night. One is that they can't hang with the better teams if Barberio is one of their top six. He is obviously a downgrade from most anyone the top teams would ice on defense. The other is Jost doesn't look like the answer at center for a second line. I am not sure what his ceiling is but I am not overly impressed. He just doesn't flash much. Its only 3 games and he is young but...that is my take.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Can't say I agree with people on Jost. Every game he's looked better and better.

I mean he should... last game he got his first two shots on goal last night. ;)

I think Jost has looked real good defensively (that whole line has been excellent in that area), he just isn't there offensively right now. As I stated in my post, I think the coaches drilled into him what his focus should be and he may not be the right mesh for that line right now. It is early and hopefully in time it starts to click more.

Reactions: Foppberg

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I understand that Bednar wants a shutdown line and Soda is pretty much the only center physically suited to do it but I really want to see Soda centering the 2nd line with some offense on the wings. Giving him Nieto and Bourque completely kills his offense and we need it.

Why not try to grow Compher as our future shutdown C? Then Soda, Kerfoot and Wilson on the 2nd line.

I think compher playing 4th C is a growing path to being 3rd line C. He also gets some pk time.

But yes, that soda line would add much needed scoring.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Definitely need to do something with the Soderberg line.

Love him or hate him, Comeau was a 34 point player with heavy defensive usage last year. Slotting Gabe Bourque in and expecting similar results is an exercise in futility.

As others have said, I’d like to see Soderberg with a Compher and Calvert. (But the trade off is you end up with a really shoddy looking fourth line of (likely) Nieto - Kamanev - Bourque.)

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO

Love him or hate him, Comeau was a 34 point player with heavy defensive usage last year. Slotting Gabe Bourque in and expecting similar results is an exercise in futility.

As others have said, I’d like to see Soderberg with a Compher and Calvert. (But the trade off is you end up with a really shoddy looking fourth line of (likely) Nieto - Kamanev - Bourque.)
I thought Greer had a good camp. Would like to see him called up in the next few weeks if he tracks well with the Eagles in that time. If he and Kamenev can prove they belong that would shore the bottom end up.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Once Ghetto is back I'd be ok with a Kam, Ghetto, and Neato 4th line that gets o zone starts primarily. Especially since the other three lines can hold their own defensively. Kam might actually be a two way asset once he gets comfortable as well.

Kerfoot Jost Wilson

Calvert Soda Compher

Neato Kam Ghetto

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Once Ghetto is back I'd be ok with a Kam, Ghetto, and Neato 4th line that gets o zone starts primarily. Especially since the other three lines can hold their own defensively. Kam might actually be a two way asset once he gets comfortable as well.

Kerfoot Jost Wilson

Calvert Soda Compher

Neato Kam Ghetto

Yeah I could get on board with something like that.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I think Kamenev will work his way up the lineup. He already played like a first line winger in the AHL.

Kerfoot-Kamenev-Wilson
Jost-Soda-Ghetto
Nieto-Calvert-Compher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->