GDT: Game 3: Avs @ Jackets - 5PM

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Came here to post this.

For me it's the biggest most obvious issue with this team as it's currently made up, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Maybe apart from Barberio setting up opposing teams for their goals...(2 in a row now) nice assists there buddy! o_O

It's fine to want to play Jost on the first PP unit but he can't play the role that he's playing now. He's completely miscast. If they want a guy to play that role, I think a shoot-first guy like Compher would be a better fit. Josty wants to play down-low and set guys up, hanging around the slot hoping for a rebound isn't his jam. I don't get why they don't see this, it's really obvious.

I'm not in love with the 2nd line as it's currently made up. I don't think Jost had a particularly good 1st half of that game last night but was much better in the 2nd part. Kerfoot just wants to set-up everyone and make plays and since Jost is the one playing center, I'm sure old habits kick-in and his tendency is to probably try and do that as well. You gotta have someone that's going to shoot on that line (and hit the net). I think Wilson has been light years better than he was last year but he's still not a 2nd line player and he never will be.

I've said it before, I would move Compher to the 2nd line. I understand that some people want to 'develop' a guy that's going to be destined for the eventual 3rd line center, Soderberg-replacement but that is years away and might not even come to pass depending on certain players' progression (Bowers) and who we end up picking in the draft. Compher on the 4th line is not utilizing him to his full abilities.

If they are going to give Kamenev a shot, it would be nice if they gave him a REAL shot and not just give him Dries' minutes. Give him some PP time and a few shifts playing with skill players to see what he makes of those opportunities.
Josty does have the second best release on the team though . Maybe that's what the coaches are thinking on the pp. Still time to tinker with the lines but I think they should change them up .even the 1st line . Take Rants off the fist line for a bit and see if he can carry a line somewhat , might keep his contract demands down .

Perhaps that's a better idea when Andrighetto is back .

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Someone said earlier in the thread that it always feels like they can win a game, and I kind of felt that throughout the game last night too, even when they were playing like crap. I think they play a brand of hockey that means they’re always in it, and they finally have some of the talent to back that up. It’s refreshing.

I’d like to see them come out and flatten Buffalo on Thursday.
Kinda, but last night I only watched the third and after the BJs scored there was that "Aw, there's no way they score" feeling, which I used to get a lot during the worst years. That power play late was exactly how that feeling looks. It was fast paced and objectively entertaining, but I was very frustrated. It happens though, just don't make it a habit like those years they couldn't win close games.

Take Rants off the fist line for a bit and see if he can carry a line somewhat , might keep his contract demands down .
Nah. I wouldn't break up MacK-Rants.

You know why those demands would drop, right? He scores less, no?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Barrie is way too good to take off imo.

Also would be interested to see Soderberg and jost switch places. Soderberg seems to have good chemistry with Wilson and Kerfoot.

I personally think Girard has looked much more impressive on the power play than Barrie this year, but I am just making that suggestion to show other options for the powerplay.

Your Sodaberg comment doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. You want to switch him and Jost because Sodaberg has good chemistry with the second power play?

Reactions: New Scotlander

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I personally think Girard has looked much more impressive on the power play than Barrie this year, but I am just making that suggestion to show other options for the powerplay.

Your Sodaberg comment doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. You want to switch him and Jost because Sodaberg has good chemistry with the second power play?

Yeah Girard on 1st unit please.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Every year Barrie starts slow... every year he picks it up. Even last year when he put up decent points to start people were gnawing their teeth at him. It is early and this is normal Barrie behavior. At least give it 10 games...

Jost needs to play with more pace offensively and is miscast on the PP. IMO he is trying so hard to be good defensively on that line that he doesn't have more to give offensively. When he can provide offense, he is on a different wavelength than both Kerfoot and Wilson. It is a misfit line and it certainly shows.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Kinda, but last night I only watched the third and after the BJs scored there was that "Aw, there's no way they score" feeling, which I used to get a lot during the worst years. That power play late was exactly how that feeling looks. It was fast paced and objectively entertaining, but I was very frustrated. It happens though, just don't make it a habit like those years they couldn't win close games.

Nah. I wouldn't break up MacK-Rants.

You know why those demands would drop, right? He scores less, no?

Yeah I get that; I definitely felt it more at even strength than on the powerplay, which acted as a momentum killer. It obviously didn't work but I saw the first line, the first pairing, Barrie and Zadorov (when he wasn't benched) really pushing hard out there.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I am getting a little concerned about the Soda line--that trio got absolutely caved in as far as shot attempts went last night, and hasn't fared much better in previous games. They really need to get Kam and Ghetto healthy and put Bourque in the press box where he belongs.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I am getting a little concerned about the Soda line--that trio got absolutely caved in as far as shot attempts went last night, and hasn't fared much better in previous games. They really need to get Kam and Ghetto healthy and put Bourque in the press box where he belongs.

The Soda line getting caved in is what’s to be expected, it’s our shut down line. As long as it’s attempts and not goals they should be okay.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
What I'd like to see in Buffalo:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Wilson - Soderberg - Kerfoot
Jost - Compher - Calvert
Nieto - Kamenev - Bork

Keep Wilson and Kerfoot together as they've got chemistry, and give Soderberg some hot players to go with his offensive ability. Try to get Jost going by giving him Compher and Calvert to take on the defensive responsibility and forecheck down low. Kamenev needs to see the ice and I don't think Dries brings anything the team needs right now.

Reactions: Brett44

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Has someone ever told Gabriel Bourque that not every single pass needs to be a saucer pass? You're allowed to keep the puck along the ice. That may or may not be a revelation for him.

Wasn't impressed with a lot of players yesterday. The only ones that stood out in a positive way were MacKinnon and Wilson. I thought Landeskog was also very good on the back check and defensively in general. Anyone that thinks he doesn't play a huge role in freeing up MacKinnon should really watch this game back and focus on that top line's shifts. Almost every time the Jackets turn back up the ice, even if Landeskog is deeper in the zone than MacKinnon, he's almost always the first man back.

Lastly, J.T. Compher has been a mirage so far this season. Yeah, he's got a few points and he looks ok on that 2nd PP unit but I haven't liked his game 5v5 one bit. He's not even remotely close to deserving a shot in the top-6 IMO. Maybe he can jump up with Soderberg and Nieto in place of Bourque, but I'd like to see what we have in Kamenev first. Sucks because I was so excited for Compher when we first acquired him, but something about his game just doesn't do it for me. He has a lot of very lazy shifts.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Oh yeah, and Ian Cole is an abomination with the puck. I see why they need him alongside Barrie.

Cole once told one of his partners in Pittsburgh that his (partner's) job was to make sure he never had to touch the puck. It's why he worked so well with Schultz.

Reactions: Pure

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Compher has been one of the Avs best forwards so far this season. Very good start for him.

He needs to get moved up to the Soda line and Bourque down to the 4th.

I think he’s been alright, nothing outstanding.

Him and Kerfoot lead the way in penalty minutes with lazy ass hooks and trips.

He needs to move his feet and be a much more solid two-way player. If his game is to be a shooter, he won’t last long.

I don’t think he’s been bad, but hasn’t been great either.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's been aggressive on the forecheck and good defensively as well as chipping in a solid amount offensively for the minutes he's gotten.

To me he's the obvious candidate for an early promotion. At least into the Soda line and honestly I wouldn't even mind seeing him in Josts spot with Wilson and Kerf.

Reactions: avsfan09

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Switch soderberg with jost on the even strength line

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'd like to point out that I have been calling for months that Soderberg be the #2 center to start the season. I'm glad more people are finally agreeing with me, because I remember getting told repeatedly that Jost had to have that spot and Soderberg needed to be on a defensive line. Now that we've seen him here and there with guys like Kerfoot and Wilson, everyone can see what I was talking about. Make it happen Bednar!

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'd like to point out that I have been calling for months that Soderberg be the #2 center to start the season. I'm glad more people are finally agreeing with me, because I remember getting told repeatedly that Jost had to have that spot and Soderberg needed to be on a defensive line. Now that we've seen him here and there with guys like Kerfoot and Wilson, everyone can see what I was talking about. Make it happen Bednar!
tenor.gif

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I do like the resilience they showed on the second. I feel like the third period could have gone either way if they hadn't run into Vezinaovsky.
Bob made some good saves, but not sure he was the reason why they won yesterday. I would put that more in the blame of the players standing still, Bednar contributed that to three penalties in like a five to six minute span and Avs went back to those negatives in the third period.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Has someone ever told Gabriel Bourque that not every single pass needs to be a saucer pass? You're allowed to keep the puck along the ice. That may or may not be a revelation for him.

Wasn't impressed with a lot of players yesterday. The only ones that stood out in a positive way were MacKinnon and Wilson. I thought Landeskog was also very good on the back check and defensively in general. Anyone that thinks he doesn't play a huge role in freeing up MacKinnon should really watch this game back and focus on that top line's shifts. Almost every time the Jackets turn back up the ice, even if Landeskog is deeper in the zone than MacKinnon, he's almost always the first man back.

Lastly, J.T. Compher has been a mirage so far this season. Yeah, he's got a few points and he looks ok on that 2nd PP unit but I haven't liked his game 5v5 one bit. He's not even remotely close to deserving a shot in the top-6 IMO. Maybe he can jump up with Soderberg and Nieto in place of Bourque, but I'd like to see what we have in Kamenev first. Sucks because I was so excited for Compher when we first acquired him, but something about his game just doesn't do it for me. He has a lot of very lazy shifts.

Do people use the word 'lazy' to describe players when things aren't really going their way and they aren't making too much happen out there??

I dunno, I think you can say a lot about Compher but 'lazy' certainly isn't one of the adjectives I'd use to describe his play.

Ineffective at times, sure. I guess I haven't noticed many shifts where J.T. just mailed it in.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It has likely been drilled into Jost that he has to be responsible defensively to maintain his spot and it shows. He has been playing well defensively on that line. Really there shouldn't be any complaints in that area. He is a bit of an offensive black hole right now. I don't think he is playing with enough pace, doesn't fully mesh with his linemates, and to me, his skating isn't there enough to be the 200' guy. The first two might correct themselves in time. The latter is where I've had the issue with him at center. FTR I hope to be wrong, but I don't see it at a high enough level of skating to play both ends at a high enough level for the 2nd line role. It will be one or the other until the skating comes around (if it does). Or they move him to wing and I think he can be more effective on both sides. If the Avs are going to keep Jost at that center spot, I think they need to ease off the defensive responsibilities a bit. Either make Wilson play a Landy like role defensively on it (not sure that works well), or move Compher in place of Wilson and require him to do it. Or another option is move Jost to the shutdown line and free up Soda to play in a more offensive role so Jost can nail down the defensive side.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Do people use the word 'lazy' to describe players when things aren't really going their way and they aren't making too much happen out there??

I dunno, I think you can say a lot about Compher but 'lazy' certainly isn't one of the adjectives I'd use to describe his play.

Ineffective at times, sure. I guess I haven't noticed many shifts where J.T. just mailed it in.
No, I use the word lazy to describe some of the penalties he's taken and some of the lethargic efforts he's given in board battles.

This is a guy that's supposed to have a high motor at all times, and it just isn't there for me. Ok start to the season, but not really showing anything to be promoted.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Compher's fine in that 4th line role, scrapping/battling for pucks and getting it on net. I think he could be a decent 3rd line winger but not much more than that. He does indeed need to cut down on the dumb penalties.

Bourque just flings the puck, be it a shot or a pass. He reminds me of Brad Stuart, who may very well have been the worst puckhandler I've ever seen in an Avs uniform. Yes, worse than Scott Parker (and don't anyone mention Peter Worrell...dude moved around on the ice like a drunken teenager at public skate night but his hands weren't the worst). For a supposedly defensive guy he's pretty useless unless he's going full blast and hitting everything in sight. He only hits that gear on rare occasions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad