GDT: Game 3: Avs @ Jackets - 5PM

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Couldn't catch the game tonight but reading this thread was quite a rollercoaster:

- Girard is a future Norris winner and he's so awesome. He's everyone's favorite player now.

- (20 min later) Girard is "meh" and "having an off night". Turnover machine.

Reactions: Avs44

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Couldn't catch the game tonight but reading this thread was quite a rollercoaster:

- Girard is a future Norris winner and he's so awesome. He's everyone's favorite player now.

Henchy put it best. He had a game with ups and downs, a game a young player will have. Just an inconsistent game all around, nothing I’m too worried about.

Reactions: Balthazar

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
One loss and we are getting rid of players, want Sakic to make changes?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Yeah we had to expect this out of a young defender that is being put in the position hes in. On the road is where hes going to learn some great lessons though. I'm glad this is happening honestly. Hopefully Bednar does as good of a job maintaining his confidence as hes done with Z in the past.

Hes shown his potential highs which shouldn't easily be black marked by bad games at his age.

Reactions: Pure

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Wellllll that didn't go well, but it's Game Three. There's still some kinks to work out.

Still some positives. I thought Grubs was solid. Not amazing, but solid. He certainly wasn't the reason Colorado lost.

MacKinnon continues to be a gamebreaker, and the 2nd power play unit continues to impress.

Also, even in a losing effort with an absolutely putrid first period, they aren't really so much one-and-done in the attacking zone. They're much more able to sustain drives than they were last season. I also thought that despite them not scoring, the 2nd line was very impressive, especially Wilson, who was just plain flying out there.

My biggest concern right now is that top power play unit, and the fact that they still don't generate near enough traffic in front of the net. Onto Buffalo then...

It should be noted that while the Avs did not play a great game, they came up against Bobrovsky in Vezina form tonight. If he gave up a single rebound tonight, I don't think I saw it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Wellllll that didn't go well, but it's Game Three. There's still some kinks to work out.

Still some positives. I thought Grubs was solid. Not amazing, but solid. He certainly wasn't the reason Colorado lost.

MacKinnon continues to be a gamebreaker, and the 2nd power play unit continues to impress.

Also, even in a losing effort with an absolutely putrid first period, they aren't really so much one-and-done in the attacking zone. They're much more able to sustain drives than they were last season. I also thought that despite them not scoring, the 2nd line was very impressive, especially Wilson, who was just plain flying out there.

My biggest concern right now is that top power play unit, and the fact that they still don't generate near enough traffic in front of the net. Onto Buffalo then...

It should be noted that while the Avs did not play a great game, they came up against Bobrovsky in Vezina form tonight. If he gave up a single rebound tonight, I don't think I saw it.

I personally had a bad feeling about this one. CBJ didn't start off well and Torts has been very hard on them regarding their effort level to start the season. This was going to be a statement game for them especially at home. You're running up against a very good team who is having the whip taken to them daily right now, and from top to bottom felt embarrassed.

I knew it when I read their latest article on TA lol.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I miss the first, but here are my thoughts on the game:

- That game seemed very fast compared to the first two and MacKinnon thrived in it. I hope to see him continue to build off that performance moving forward.
- Compher had a very solid game to me and seems to have taken a bit of a step in his development. I personally wouldn’t mind seeing him get more icetime/juggling the lines a bit to give him a bigger shot.
- I thought Girard was our most noticeable defender again tonight, although this game there was some noticeably poor plays. All in all I thought he had a solid performance and I believe he’s a player who learns from mistakes/shrugs off below standard games quite easily.
- I thought Jost looked a lot quicker tonight. He had one play in the third where he twirled a guy around, got knocked to his knees, yet still manages to dance around the on coming defender before eventually turning it over. He has flashes of brilliance, but I think he needs to be put on a different line of utilize him better.

All in all not the worst game and a decent game to watch for the most part. Second power play looks deadly and we should honestly consider putting it out there first if it keeps playing the way it has, might allow for the first to get a better matchup.

As for new line combos, I wouldn’t mind seeing the following:
Landy-MacK-Rants
Wilson-Compher-Kerfoot
Calvert-Sodaberg-Jost
Nieto-Kamenev-Dries/Bourque/(Ghetto when healthy)
I think this will allow for a second line that is very similar to our first as well as give Jost an opportunity to have Sodaberg as a mentor and set-up man.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
My biggest issue so far is the lack of defensive organization below the hash marks.

There’s three opposing forwards and one of them seems to always be open. Somebody isn’t doing their job, and a few of these goals seem to have been the centre leaving too early or simply watching his man from 5 feet away.

MacKinnon has been the biggest culprit of this. Needs to be corrected, it’s just sloppy execution of fundamentals.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Regarding the #1 powerplay I don't think Jost is working on it at all. Not sure I even blame him. There just doesn't seem to be a really logical fit for him on the ice, and he spends most of his time sort of floating around in the middle. Unless the Avs want to adopt a 'throw everything at the net' strategy and have Jost sit in front with Landeskog looking for deflections / rebounds, I don't see him working out there.

I know they like having Compher on the second unit because they want a right handed shot out there on it, but I also think they need another right handed shot on the top unit with how they've set it up. The Rants / MacK connection (both ways) has become quite obvious, teams know to shut it down. Opening up the guy in the slot (Jost) as a genuine one-timer threat could change that dynamic, force the opposition to spread out a bit more. But since Jost is a lefty that just won't happen. MacK plays too high up on the wall most of the time that he realistically isn't in a position to feed pucks into Jost for a one-timer between the faceoff dots or closer to the crease - and if MacK does move down he loses the cross ice pass to Rantanen, makes it more difficult to move it back to Barrie, etc.

What they should do IMO is what the Capitals sort of did on their powerplay unit. The ran it through Backstrom much of the time (Rantanen) about halfway up the right boards, they had Carlson at the point (Barrie), they had Ovie (MacK) sitting on the left side primed for a one timer from Carlson or Backstrom (Rants and Barrie), and they had Oshie (should be Compher IMO) sliding around in the slot to find an open space so that Backstrom could slide it right into his wheelhouse for the quick one timer if the opposition focused too much on preventing cross ice passes to Carlson and Ovie. In the playoffs that Backstrom / Oshie connection opened up several times and they consistently made the opposition pay. Leave Landy where he is in front of the net. Having a righty out in the slot like Compher also means that if Landy fans out to the right side like he often does (and then tries to stuff it in short side by cutting into the crease), he now has an additional right handed option sitting in the slot in Compher who he can feed it to for a one-timer. MacK really isn't using Jost anyways, so I don't think it'd change how he operates at all. We actually saw MacK try to do this against Philly where he rushed into the slot at one point, literally five feet beside Jost, and Landy or Rants, forget who, fed it straight to him for the one timer 15-20 feet outside of the crease. Basically, have Compher there to do that continuously while leaving MacK wide open on the other side still.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You guys also need to think about this as a potential positive. They blasted the Mild not playing their best, and won against Philly with a sloppy game. Yeah you can talk all day about their comments of not being satisfied, but this kick in the pants was probably needed IMO. Especially on the road. They now feel the slap in the face of reality for real.

The loss wasn't due to lack of talent, or they would have just gotten pasted from start to finish like that first period. This is still almost best case scenario IMO. Win two games at home a dose of reality as a slap in the face on the road. That is about as good as it gets IMO. Their game against the BUF will be a sound judging point as in their ability to respond. I'll start throwing stones if they fail to respond in that game personally. That does not mean a win either, but it better not be a roller coaster of poor play and mistakes.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I do like the resilience they showed on the second. I feel like the third period could have gone either way if they hadn't run into Vezinaovsky.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
My biggest issue so far is the lack of defensive organization below the hash marks.

There’s three opposing forwards and one of them seems to always be open. Somebody isn’t doing their job, and a few of these goals seem to have been the centre leaving too early or simply watching his man from 5 feet away.

MacKinnon has been the biggest culprit of this. Needs to be corrected, it’s just sloppy execution of fundamentals.

So true and alot of those goals are happening even lower behind the goal line. Turn over leads to a goal. Bad read leads to goal. Poor clear..goal. Needs to be cleaned up.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Also, wasn’t super impressed with Grubauer. I know he made some nice saves, but he could’ve easily had another 2-3 go by him that hit the post. First game so I’ll hold my judgement for a bigger sample size.

He overplayed the second and third goal. Way too much lateral movement and lost his balance because of that. Defence didn't help too much but we need better goaltending to survive from Central division gauntlet.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Grubs is used to playing with a more experienced and methodical defensive group. Hopefully he can recover.. Varly is used to working with a much more inept defensive group that he can't trust lol.

If Grubs want's to be a #1 is this league hes got to find a way to cover a fast paced young mobile defensive group at times. This year should be an interesting learning curve.

Let's give Grubby the first couple of months to get used to life in the fast lane.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Ok, I'm getting really tired of Nemeth's injuries (it's a threat for his career for sure), anybody who knows the current status, it's his shoulder(s) again?

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I always love reading GDTs after we lose.

I think it's a good sign, the Avs forum still having a winner's attitude remembering the great years, grumpy like Forsberg himself after a loss, no reason to be happy after a loss.

Reactions: S E P H

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Avs got outworked. Barrie, Zadorov and Rantanen need to be better. Grubi looked good (not great). MacKinnon has been too lazy on the backcheck and I hope we'll finally see Kamenev next game because Dries just doesn't work for me. He's been fine but Avs could do better. Freaking Compher is centering the fourth line so it could be a really good line with a bit more skill on the wing. Girard (who showed some nerves - so he probably is human) needs to be on the 1st PP unit instead of Barrie, at least until Barrie remembers how to make a pass again. The 2nd line needs to figure out how to let Jost (who is becoming excellent) take more shots.
I loved the 2nd period.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I do like the resilience they showed on the second. I feel like the third period could have gone either way if they hadn't run into Vezinaovsky.
They coasted for a bit even when they were down 2:3 in the third. Therefore I hated that period. I get that they know they are a great team but they are not good enough to not put the work in and still win.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Regarding the #1 powerplay I don't think Jost is working on it at all. Not sure I even blame him. There just doesn't seem to be a really logical fit for him on the ice, and he spends most of his time sort of floating around in the middle. Unless the Avs want to adopt a 'throw everything at the net' strategy and have Jost sit in front with Landeskog looking for deflections / rebounds, I don't see him working out there.

I know they like having Compher on the second unit because they want a right handed shot out there on it, but I also think they need another right handed shot on the top unit with how they've set it up. The Rants / MacK connection (both ways) has become quite obvious, teams know to shut it down. Opening up the guy in the slot (Jost) as a genuine one-timer threat could change that dynamic, force the opposition to spread out a bit more. But since Jost is a lefty that just won't happen. MacK plays too high up on the wall most of the time that he realistically isn't in a position to feed pucks into Jost for a one-timer between the faceoff dots or closer to the crease - and if MacK does move down he loses the cross ice pass to Rantanen, makes it more difficult to move it back to Barrie, etc.

What they should do IMO is what the Capitals sort of did on their powerplay unit. The ran it through Backstrom much of the time (Rantanen) about halfway up the right boards, they had Carlson at the point (Barrie), they had Ovie (MacK) sitting on the left side primed for a one timer from Carlson or Backstrom (Rants and Barrie), and they had Oshie (should be Compher IMO) sliding around in the slot to find an open space so that Backstrom could slide it right into his wheelhouse for the quick one timer if the opposition focused too much on preventing cross ice passes to Carlson and Ovie. In the playoffs that Backstrom / Oshie connection opened up several times and they consistently made the opposition pay. Leave Landy where he is in front of the net. Having a righty out in the slot like Compher also means that if Landy fans out to the right side like he often does (and then tries to stuff it in short side by cutting into the crease), he now has an additional right handed option sitting in the slot in Compher who he can feed it to for a one-timer. MacK really isn't using Jost anyways, so I don't think it'd change how he operates at all. We actually saw MacK try to do this against Philly where he rushed into the slot at one point, literally five feet beside Jost, and Landy or Rants, forget who, fed it straight to him for the one timer 15-20 feet outside of the crease. Basically, have Compher there to do that continuously while leaving MacK wide open on the other side still.

On the other hand we could do the opposite or inverse and have MacK and Girard as the Backstrom Carlson and use Rantanen as Ovi and Jost as Oshi. Either that or the top unit could maybe move their feet a bit more like the second unit does. Landy and Jost do almost nothing the entire time.

Last edited:
Reactions: klozge

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
On the other hand we could do the opposite or inverse and have MacK and Girard as the Backstrom Carlson and use Rantanen as Ovi and Jost as Oshi. Either that or the top unit could maybe move their feet a bit more like the second unit does. Landy and Jost do almost nothing the entire time.

Barrie is way too good to take off imo.

Also would be interested to see Soderberg and jost switch places. Soderberg seems to have good chemistry with Wilson and Kerfoot.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Stars and Preds lost too, which doesn’t really matter this early in the year, but three central teams had their perfect season broken last night.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Came here to post this.

For me it's the biggest most obvious issue with this team as it's currently made up, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Maybe apart from Barberio setting up opposing teams for their goals...(2 in a row now) nice assists there buddy! o_O

It's fine to want to play Jost on the first PP unit but he can't play the role that he's playing now. He's completely miscast. If they want a guy to play that role, I think a shoot-first guy like Compher would be a better fit. Josty wants to play down-low and set guys up, hanging around the slot hoping for a rebound isn't his jam. I don't get why they don't see this, it's really obvious.

I'm not in love with the 2nd line as it's currently made up. I don't think Jost had a particularly good 1st half of that game last night but was much better in the 2nd part. Kerfoot just wants to set-up everyone and make plays and since Jost is the one playing center, I'm sure old habits kick-in and his tendency is to probably try and do that as well. You gotta have someone that's going to shoot on that line (and hit the net). I think Wilson has been light years better than he was last year but he's still not a 2nd line player and he never will be.

I've said it before, I would move Compher to the 2nd line. I understand that some people want to 'develop' a guy that's going to be destined for the eventual 3rd line center, Soderberg-replacement but that is years away and might not even come to pass depending on certain players' progression (Bowers) and who we end up picking in the draft. Compher on the 4th line is not utilizing him to his full abilities.

If they are going to give Kamenev a shot, it would be nice if they gave him a REAL shot and not just give him Dries' minutes. Give him some PP time and a few shifts playing with skill players to see what he makes of those opportunities.

Reactions: Goulet17

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Someone said earlier in the thread that it always feels like they can win a game, and I kind of felt that throughout the game last night too, even when they were playing like crap. I think they play a brand of hockey that means they’re always in it, and they finally have some of the talent to back that up. It’s refreshing.

I’d like to see them come out and flatten Buffalo on Thursday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad