Post-Game Talk: Game # 29 Rangers @ Capitals - 7pm EST - MSG, NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Instead of looking for whose fault on the Rangers it was for a loss in a game they should’ve won, just look at the opponents stats to see who won it for them - the expected goals allowed vs actual for the Caps should give you a pretty simple answer.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Coverage in front of Georgiev was horrible. Thats what lost the game.

Rebounds are part of hockey. When a goalie is dealing with 3-4 players crowding his space, there is always the risk of anything happening. A shot, a pass, a deflection.

Fox left Lindgren alone to handle AO and another player. Thats blown coverage. He needed to be better

The shot that preceded the 2nd goal on was unscreened. He overplayed it and kicked it out into the slot. That should have been an easy stop and hold, but again this is why Georgiev is what he is.

I don't think criticizing this team's overall play in traffic at either end of the ice is really off though. It's an issue for most of our D and maybe the only thing Fox doesn't do well.

It's also why thinking Nils is a slam drunk add to our D is a bit of a stretch for me but thats really a different conversation.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Hockey arrogance. Don’t mind them otherwise. Many of my coworkers are Canadian; delightful people. But the ones who talk about “our sport” and how “unfair” it is that a Canadian team hasn’t won the cup in decades are just insufferable. Otherwise I don’t really give a rats ass. :laugh:

I understand that and know the type you mean. I guess I'd rather have the greatest ever, who retired a Ranger, score the most goals, rather than a guy who torched us for sixty or more.

Reactions: CasusBelli

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Our 4th line was defending against Ovechkin line with less than 7 min left in the 3rd. Two goals against. What’s that about?

If you decide to use your 4th line as checking line and want to put them up against the top players of the league then assemble a better 4th line.

This team hasn't had a competent 4th line in as long as I can remember.

I've been saying this for years now..

Reactions: RickChartraw

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Might as well because we aren't making the playoffs with the way we're playing. I can't wait until we finally start playing the rest of the league.

You’re likely right on the first part of your statement, but wrong on the second.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
There was a pretty weird play by Laff . At one point he stood there and waited for a cap to get the puck in the offense zone. Now I’m wondering if a coach is telling him to think defense first and he had a short circuit as to what to do and when.
He seemingly had a clear lane to the puck with no one around and he decided to stay back, he then started skating towards it by then it was too late.
Me thinks he’s started to question his decision making.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
But it "hurts so good". Just starting to read everyone's thoughts. Mine are yes, it does hurt, BUT man they played rather well and overall, pretty proud of them. Yet another "we deserved better" (pts.) Just NOT in the cards quite yet. Kakko looked great BUT, he needs to score. Period. Will come, not soon enough. He puts in just ONE we win that game even before they are trying to tie it. Btw, not picking on him by no means. Others should have scored as well, but give Vitek credit. Almost another shutout if it wasn't for the 2nd "great one"

Reactions: pld459666

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
We got beat on the same exact play. The top looked like our PP almost but they had 2 players in front. Was it something the opposing coaching staff saw or is it what they do when they need a goal? Georgiev overplayed it the same way and they had 2 Capitals in front of the net. 1 happened to be Ovechkin. Fox on the first one battled him a little before he conceded, on the 2nd one, Fox was in no mans land.

Saying the best goal scorer beat us is a VAST over simplification. Ovechkin, the greatest scorer in the universe, was left ALONE in front of the net... TWICE. Fox is usually very good at tying up sticks in front.. he is human after all. No adjustments were made after the first goal, they actually played it worse on the second one.

An amalgamation of reasons as to why we lost, while being the better team. Coaching/youth, our backup and our PP.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
What did they see? That our goalie vacates the crease by 5 feet?
No he probably saw we dont clear out the crease good enough and without Wilson, they put tough guy big bodied Ovie looking for garbage. He found it, found breakfast and dinner. Skipped lunch because he's getting older now, and wants to keep the weight down. Haha.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
This is the first and only game of the Rangers’ 2020-21 season so far that has actually pissed me off.

And that’s a good thing.
Thats because your hopes increased with last game, and HOW they actually have a pretty solid squad, but just have to......drum roll please.......LEARN HOW TO WIN, WHATEVER IT TAKES.

FOR ME, its getting to the point where Laf is actually Laffable. Its actually not funny anymore. Did he FORGET how to play hockey? And IDC that he has to adjust because opposing players are bigger than he right now. Cant make a pass, cant receive one and is literally non existent right now. OMG, sounds like early Kreider all over again.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Leave them together. Let them learn as a group.
Yup...we have no other alternatives....let them learn . We can't send Laf back as it's pointless ...not sure on KK....and we can't give them AHL time because of the CHL agreement . Damned if you do and Damned if you don't ! The AHL though is the proper spot for these two and not NYR . Sucks for the kids who have nothing left to prove in junior and can't handle NHL minutes .

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Rest of the season? Why not have everyone take the rest of the season off too?
I strained a groin in my teens, playing soccer, and I rushed back into playing. To this day the area is sensitive. So, yeah, don’t rush it. Better lose a year (in which we’re not even competing) out of excessive caution than jeopardize a career. I think you underestimate the importance of a healthy groin.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I strained a groin in my teens, playing soccer, and I rushed back into playing. To this day the area is sensitive. So, yeah, don’t rush it. Better lose a year (in which we’re not even competing) out of excessive caution than jeopardize a career. I think you underestimate the importance of a healthy groin.

I can see recommendation not to rush (as I also suffered from this injury) but sitting out the rest of the season could be unnecessary overkill.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
They’ve been handed everything. These kids began their NHL careers in the top-six. They’ve been permanent fixtures 5v4. No AHL. No fighting for a roster spot. No working up the lineup. Have either of them ever been a healthy scratch?

And I don’t want to hear more bats theories about how the second PP unit doesn’t count as a PP unit. Lafreniere has played almost an hour 5v4 this season, and he has ONE f***ing shot on goal during that, (3 shot attempts, while Zibanejad has like 74. :laugh:)

Here, for the people in the back:
View attachment 410152

Just 7 more minutes and he’ll have 1/4 of a theoretical goal.
This...does not tell an accurate story of what the PP2 has been this year. Not even by a long shot.

You either a) know this and are just being disingenuous or b) are just straight up not watching

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
On the topic of the PP, I’d probably switch the units to spread around the talent. Bump Strome down to PP2 to give it more of a threat and bump Laf or Kakko up to PP1 to give them a chance with more talent and to get a lefty shot on that half board. PP2 was Miller - Trouba - Chytil - Buch - Laf. Going forward I think I’d try...

PP1: Mika, Fox, Panarin, Laf, Kreider
PP2: Trouba, Kakko, Strome, Buch, Chytil

No need for Miller on unit 2. I know they like the 2 D but he always seems to have issues handling the puck. I also wouldn’t be opposed to switching Trouba and Fox for different looks as well.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The shot that preceded the 2nd goal on was unscreened. He overplayed it and kicked it out into the slot. That should have been an easy stop and hold, but again this is why Georgiev is what he is.

I don't think criticizing this team's overall play in traffic at either end of the ice is really off though. It's an issue for most of our D and maybe the only thing Fox doesn't do well.

It's also why thinking Nils is a slam drunk add to our D is a bit of a stretch for me but thats really a different conversation.

I get what you are saying, but the concentration levels when dealing with the circus around you is difficult to maintain

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
We got beat on the same exact play. The top looked like our PP almost but they had 2 players in front. Was it something the opposing coaching staff saw or is it what they do when they need a goal? Georgiev overplayed it the same way and they had 2 Capitals in front of the net. 1 happened to be Ovechkin. Fox on the first one battled him a little before he conceded, on the 2nd one, Fox was in no mans land.

Saying the best goal scorer beat us is a VAST over simplification. Ovechkin, the greatest scorer in the universe, was left ALONE in front of the net... TWICE. Fox is usually very good at tying up sticks in front.. he is human after all. No adjustments were made after the first goal, they actually played it worse on the second one.

An amalgamation of reasons as to why we lost, while being the better team. Coaching/youth, our backup and our PP.

Fox looked physically overmatched with Ovechkin all game, I'm not blaming him as that is a tough match for many defenseman.

While Fox/Lindgren are usually our best pair against top lines, I think Trouba / Miller match up better in this case with their size and strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->