Post-Game Talk: Game # 29 Rangers @ Capitals - 7pm EST - MSG, NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Panarin has arguably a top 10 one-timer in the league IMO
Very underrated shooter
Yeah, agreed. He prefers to pass it, I can understand it because he's even better at it.

But when Zib is struggling with his shot, Panarin should shoot it.

I'd like to see him playing on the point so he can shoot or QB it with Fox and then Zib can get some greasy goals or one time from the left hand circle. Use his big body and all that.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Yeah, agreed. He prefers to pass it, I can understand it because he's even better at it.

But when Zib is struggling with his shot, Panarin should shoot it.

I'd like to see him playing on the point so he can shoot or QB it with Fox and then Zib can get some greasy goals or one time from the left hand circle. Use his big body and all that.
I think they would be an excellent idea
The way DeAngelo’s skating & deception would allow him to dance around the blueline, I think Panarin is the only other player on our team who could do that like he did

Reactions: leetch99

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
For the youngest club in the league and against a Cup favorite on a hot streak....I can live with that loss since we had a great effort . Back at it today . Blackwell was a buzzsaw all night....I hope Gauthier can replicate his effort on the forecheck if he goes today .

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
All the positivity goes out the window in about 1 minute. Defense not clearing out up front along with a goalie moving laterally to play the one-timer. It's going to happen.

Wilson will be targeting Lindgren tomorrow.

Kakko and Laf had around 11:30 of ice time. They should be on the PP.
We should bring up Geerston ...he can target Backstrom .

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Coverage in front of Georgiev was horrible. Thats what lost the game.

Rebounds are part of hockey. When a goalie is dealing with 3-4 players crowding his space, there is always the risk of anything happening. A shot, a pass, a deflection.

Fox left Lindgren alone to handle AO and another player. Thats blown coverage. He needed to be better

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
For the youngest club in the league and against a Cup favorite on a hot streak....I can live with that loss since we had a great effort . Back at it today . Blackwell was a buzzsaw all night....I hope Gauthier can replicate his effort on the forecheck if he goes today .

This is how I feel.
I didn't even think they'd be able to hang with the Caps but they played well.
The Caps are just rolling.
No complaints other then net front coverage.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

Rebounds are part of hockey. When a goalie is dealing with 3-4 players crowding his space, there is always the risk of anything happening. A shot, a pass, a deflection.

Fox left Lindgren alone to handle AO and another player. Thats blown coverage. He needed to be better

This^^

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Ok. Shesterkin coming back. Full lineup. Coaching staff probably returning as well, feel whatever you want to feel about that. But everybody should just mentally reset. Second half underway. Forget the first half. Throw out the power play and start over. Think fresh.

Let's f***ing go, as @nevesis would say.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
This is how I feel.
I didn't even think they'd be able to hang with the Caps but they played well.
The Caps are just rolling.
No complaints other then net front coverage.

Agreed. Let’s also give some credit to their goaltender. He made some very, very good saves in the first to give them a shot. He was excellent.

Bring in Goat, sit Blackwell. Move KK up to play with Strome and Panarin. Goat with Chytil and Laf.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
He, Laf and Chytil spent the whole night playing with Smith and Hajek against Backstrom's line. They were fine. Our 4th line was on for both goals against.

A. He wasn't fine.
B. That was one game.
C. Brett Howden is tied with Kakko at 4 points on the entire season and Kakko plays with better players and sees some power play time.
D. Has Howden been fine, too? At least we didn't expect anything from Howden.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
We lost this game because our "top" players were overplayed, especially Fox and Lindgren and they were exhausted over the last 6 minutes of the game. That and our goalie kept losing his net on shots from the angle.

We lost the game because they have Ovi and we don't.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

Fox left to play the shooter. Why was the shooter all alone in a high danger area? Not because of Fox.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Agreed. Let’s also give some credit to their goaltender. He made some very, very good saves in the first to give them a shot. He was excellent.

Bring in Goat, sit Blackwell. Move KK up to play with Strome and Panarin. Goat with Chytil and Laf.

No doubt.
Only thing is I think Blackwell played well enough to stay in over goat for the time being.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Ovechkin in the slot twice for rebounds. Nobody put a finger on him and nobody tied up his stick. The first was a lucky bounce. The second we should have been more ready for.

For sure.. The fwds never got back and Fox played Ovi soft as charmin on that 2nd goal.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Caps goalie was excellent. Rangers could have had 4 or 5.
Rangers D-zone coverage broke down on those goals. Once one area breaks down, the rest can fall like dominoes and that is exactly what happened.
Laf continues to be unimpressive. I really don't see any part of his game that is elite. I hope I'm wrong and something just clicks.
Can we all agree that Trouba is a borderline second pair D? This board destroyed Marc Staal for years after his injury, but in his prime, he was twice the player Trouba is now. Who, on the backend, is Trouba outplaying? Hajek? I'm not sure. Smith? I feel Smith outplays Trouba more times than not. I wasn't a fan of this guy, even when he was with the Jets. Absurdly over rated. He must look out his window to check if the police are coming to arrest him for grand theft.

Reactions: pld459666

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
They’ve been handed everything. These kids began their NHL careers in the top-six. They’ve been permanent fixtures 5v4. No AHL. No fighting for a roster spot. No working up the lineup. Have either of them ever been a healthy scratch?

And I don’t want to hear more bats theories about how the second PP unit doesn’t count as a PP unit. Lafreniere has played almost an hour 5v4 this season, and he has ONE f***ing shot on goal during that, (3 shot attempts, while Zibanejad has like 74. :laugh:)

Just 7 more minutes and he’ll have 1/4 of a theoretical goal.

You don't have to agree with the hot Quinn is ruining the kids takes but this is silly.

They've begun their careers in the top-nine, but in a game where neither was in the top-six that's a weird time to say that's where they play.

Kakko has been scratched.

Kakko literally wasn't on the PP tonight. He's averaged about 25 seconds a PP this year. Lafreniere has averaged around 35. It's not really nothing to note that the second unit is usually beginning from their own end. If it takes--with the cleanest of entries--7 seconds to get from our goal line to a set up in the o-zone (which is really a generous estimate) that's already 28% of Kakko's icetime that PP spent. 20% Laf's. If they have to do it twice, or it doesn't work? You're already passed half.

And even if it does work out perfectly, you've now got 18 seconds and 28 seconds, respectively, to make something happen. Sure, over 30 games, we reach a bit of time, but on a per game, and especially a per power play basis, it's pretty pathetic. Moreover, our first unit couldn't score on a soccer net this season, so the disparity becomes an even bigger joke.

The other thing is that for all the crap shoveled on Kakko for his 'terrible ' play last year, he was legit great on the PP. It's not like we're looking at Kakko going, he's proven nothing there--no, he has demonstrated a very high ability in that specific part of the game.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Ovechkin in the slot twice for rebounds. Nobody put a finger on him and nobody tied up his stick. The first was a lucky bounce. The second we should have been more ready for.

Our 4th line was defending against Ovechkin line with less than 7 min left in the 3rd. Two goals against. What’s that about?

Last edited:
Reactions: eco's bones

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What front office would expose a legit top liner to an expansion draft?

Exposing Strome is a waste of assets

Let’s start with that neither Buch nor Strome need to be exposed - both could be comfortably protected and there was a post on this just yesterday.

Reactions: Fitzy

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I didn't watch the game but I saw the recap.

Did we really dominate the Caps that bad? It looked like they had a hot goalie that stood on his head and then they scored two identical goals pretty late.

It's too bad. It would've been amazing to get a winning streak going. When is Quinn "We'll never win" coming back behind the bench?
Played better but didn’t dominate imo. Had games early in the season where they really severely out possessed the other team but still lost. This wasn’t that imo but they did play well

Reactions: eco's bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->