Post-Game Talk: Game # 29 Rangers @ Capitals - 7pm EST - MSG, NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
I would swap Blackwell and Kakko.

I know Panarin and Strome like their grinder but Kakko is excelling at all the grindy stuff this year and it might help get his offense going.

It's a win-win.
Leave the friggin' kids alone and let them develop some chemistry. We had plenty of chances and didn't finish. I agree about the Kakko comment. He is coming away with pucks, but he is always high in the O zone. Not gonna score from there too often.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
What's true is he is still floating towards the boards on the second goal. He stinks. He can't have more than one decent game in a row.
One goal you can give him some blame for. You can also blame Fox for leaving Ovi alone or the 4th line for being on for both goals. This loss is not on the goalie or anyone else for that matter. The PP sucks and that is on the coach because we have the horses for sure.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
One goal you can give him some blame for. You can also blame Fox for leaving Ovi alone or the 4th line for being on for both goals. This loss is not on the goalie or anyone else for that matter. The PP sucks and that is on the coach because we have the horses for sure.
PP first to blame for sure. Especially that last one. And Georgiev did not help the matter. He got outplayed by Vanacek and he just can't string two good games together.

G46

Jan 10, 2021
as long as the Rangers don't score more than 1 f***ing goal their chances are bad. You can't rely on any goalie to get a shutout, especially a 2nd one in a row, in order to win.

With as little action as he took, you should absolutely expect him to not lose his net and give up two goals. Are you saying the rangers are the only team that can’t expect their goalie to perform above average?

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I don’t know why I’m surprised by this, but, since Kakko and Lafreniere are on the clock, rapidly approaching the decline of their NHL careers, I feel like pointing out that within the next 1-2 years, there’s a very real possibly that our group of forwards will look like this:

1LW-1C-1RW
Panarin-2C-1RW
Kreider-3C-Kravtsov

Fill in the blanks.

You won’t have to worry about Kakko/Lafreniere/Chytil’s ice-time, I can tell you that much.

You could have made your point without shameful exaggeration, but no, instead you took it off the ledge and well over the cliff.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Zibanejad, Strome, and Buchnevich are all free agents within the next 1-2 years tho?

We also have a player who's gonna be taken by Seattle. Not sure which players we have to protect and the empty slots, but it might be a choice between Buch and Strome to give to Seattle.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
2nd game in the past 3 that hurt. We played so well for so long.

Gotta love that hit on Ovechkin. Wow. On a side note, Lindgren has played in 167 total professional games between the NHL and AHL and has a grand total of 2 goals. Snakebitten af, even for a defensive defenseman. However, he’s bled about 75 times over the course of those games. It’s kind of funny how the cause of the bleeding tonight was just the worst luck for someone who constantly deals with that shit.

Strome is a legit threat offensively. He has pretty elite awareness.

Trouba’s passes...it’s like they never have any life or purpose behind them.

Lafreniere looked absolutely awful when he didn’t even move on that one play when the puck was right next to him. Conditioning problem or is it just him not giving a shit? And what’s worse?

Both him and Kakko had terrible games. Kakko needs to do SOMETHING once in a blue moon.

Chytil had a crazy shift. Elite forechecking, some insanely fast hands, and a great pass all in about 10 seconds. That’s creating something not only from nothing, but from a heavy disadvantage.

Fox was so useless at the end of the game. 1 good play, 5 or more bad ones.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
We're not as bad as our record. In fact this team has played like a legit playoff team probably in 80% of their games. Their goaltending has sunk them. Even Igor in the beginning against the Pens. This team is good enough to be a playoff team but they'll get some scrub 3rd liner between picks 10 and 15 this year. That's what we'll have to show for this season. Georgiev is trash. Kinkaid is trash. And Igor seems to have way too many injuries already in his career.
Wow. This whole post is way too real, especially the bold.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Actually from 1994 through 2017 suggests the Rangers may actually do better in the draft when they have non top 10 pick, when they have a 1st round pick at all.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
You’re basically going to lose kakko and lafreniere completely this year and the coaches are doing zero to try and jumpstart them. It’s clear. It’s not a priority.
They both played in the top 6 a ton. Laf was there almost the entire time Panarin was out. Yeah, it’d be good to give them some PP time they haven’t really earned just for the sake of maybe sparking something but they could also just try to make things happen regularly.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
We also have a player who's gonna be taken by Seattle. Not sure which players we have to protect and the empty slots, but it might be a choice between Buch and Strome to give to Seattle.
Yeah, I mean, maybe I didn’t explain it well, but my point is the time when Kakko/Lafreniere/Chytil are going to have to carry this team is coming. Fast. And it won’t be optional.

And you know what? They’re still only going to be 21-23 years old when it happens.

Reactions: kovazub94

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
They both played in the top 6 a ton. Laf was there almost the entire time Panarin was out. Yeah, it’d be good to give them some PP time they haven’t really earned just for the sake of maybe sparking something but they could also just try to make things happen regularly.
They’ve been handed everything. These kids began their NHL careers in the top-six. They’ve been permanent fixtures 5v4. No AHL. No fighting for a roster spot. No working up the lineup. Have either of them ever been a healthy scratch?

And I don’t want to hear more bats theories about how the second PP unit doesn’t count as a PP unit. Lafreniere has played almost an hour 5v4 this season, and he has ONE f***ing shot on goal during that, (3 shot attempts, while Zibanejad has like 74. :laugh:)

Here, for the people in the back:
upload_2021-3-20_3-6-14.png

Just 7 more minutes and he’ll have 1/4 of a theoretical goal.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The PP is this season's biggest downfall. Everything about it, from time management to personnel. PP1 uses the entire time trying to set up that one perfect play.
This. With the amount of talent on this roster there’s no way the PP should be this ugly. That and they should practice face offs for an hour and a half every practice, we lose them at crucial times in the D zone, and hardly ever win them on the offensive end which makes it that much harder to generate offense or a scoring chance. Those 2 things, if corrected would make a world of difference.

Reactions: will1066

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I didn't watch the third, but they looked great in the first and good in the second.

Kakko played well I thought. Need to find a way to give him PP time.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Those two goals allowed by Georgiev didn't look pretty and downright concerning. Yes, he saved the initial shot on a lateral move, but it's what happens after the initial shot that bothers me. A NHL goalie cannot consistently end up outside the entire net because of a lateral save - and then take two months to get back in position. Ovechkin scooped up two rebounds and had two wide open nets, right in the slot. The easiest pair of goals of his career.

Sure, poor defensive work to not be first on the rebound by Georgiev's teammates, but Georgiev himself really has to improve his edge work and his ability to stay in the play even after a lateral save. A side pass and a one timer in the pads cannot be enough to gain a wide open net without a goalie in it, in the NHL of today. And then I haven't even mentioned the rebound control, both pucks ended up right in the slot. They were almost identical plays and that tells me the Caps scouts have found a great flaw in Georgiev's game.

Georgiev is no Talbot or Raanta yet, that's for sure.

Last edited:

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I didn't watch the game but I saw the recap.

Did we really dominate the Caps that bad? It looked like they had a hot goalie that stood on his head and then they scored two identical goals pretty late.

It's too bad. It would've been amazing to get a winning streak going. When is Quinn "We'll never win" coming back behind the bench?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad