GDT: Game 29: Coyotes @ Los Angeles | 3-18-13 | 7:30 PM MST | FS Arizona Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The team is molded to fit Tippett's system to a T. A bunch of grinding forwards with a good defense/transition game and great goaltending.

Trouble is the talent up front is so poor - we have maybe 2 top 6 forwards, 3 with the emergence of Boedker - but ZERO first line guys and 12 or so 4th line guys.

The defense is playing consistently good hockey.

Goaltending has been unnacepptable.

Has the team tuned out Tippet? His is not an easy style to play. He is a free agent this summer - Coyotes should trade him :naughty:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
My assessment, for what it's worth, the team is merely in a slump. We’ve seen this before, including last year. The bigger problem this year is that the short season is less forgiving. Is it time to panic? no. Is the season lost? not yet. We’re in 9th place (tied in points with #8 San Jose)

With only 19 games to play we need to right the ship quickly, but put together a 3 game win streak and we're right back in the middle of the standings. This three game goalless streak is somewhat of an anomaly. Our goals average is 2.5, not that great. Take away the last three games and it's 2.85 (same as Boston and top half in the league). At home we are second in the league with 3.25 per night, behind only Tampa (who interesting enough is not currently in a playoff spot). My point is this team has scored goals this season, just not recently. The question is why?

Verby has been our top goal scorer in recent years, but we can't expect him to knock in 2-3 per night when he’s in the lineup, so let’s look elsewhere. I don't think being on the road is the reason either, even though we average only 1.69 goals away from home; correlation is not causation, and any sensible statistician will tell you that the sample size is just too small.

So were experiencing a 3 game scoreless drought, but still played a good game in Columbus and pulled in a point. Win tonight and were in a playoff spot. To borrow from the British government of 1939, "Remain Calm and Carry On!"

I also find it bizarre that some are criticizing our leading goal scorer as slow and over the hill. :shakehead I’d gladly take 3 more Shane Doan’s today. :nod:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
We had better start Labarbera tomorrow, Smith has been pure crap. With this defense having less than .900 save pct is just completely unacceptable.

I'll say again, if I'm GMDM, I'm only looking at Smith on a 1yr deal to see if this year is the norm or is it just a bad 24 games. This is reminding me of the time we had Aebischer and Auld in goal for us.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
We had better start Labarbera tomorrow,

Agree. Barbs played well last game he started; deserved to win. But Smith is not the biggest problem right now; he has nothing to do with the team scoring goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad