GDT: Game 29 - CBJ at FLA - 7 Dec, 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Is that a serious question ? Nearly any coach that understands today’s nhl , and offensive concepts and systems would be getting a better result . Was the dramatic improvement in the powerplay not an indicator enough for you , once Maclean came in ? Guys surprised of an actual offensive system , and Required of being at certain places , at certain times . This garbage of running all our offensive thru the blue line , cheating defenseman up all the time giving up odd man rushes , when we have an actual great defensive core is idiotic . Torts micro manages all the creativity out of his forwards . Oh, by the way , Duclair had another 2 goals today , 13 g on the season , 6 assists , 19 points in 30 games .
Yes, it has been a dramatic improvement in the power play. Since going 5 for 10 in his first 2 games, it has gone 3 for 20 since, which is the same percentage from before he was hired. The newness may have worn off. But hey, he could be our new head coach.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Yes, it has been a dramatic improvement in the power play. Since going 5 for 10 in his first 2 games, it has gone 3 for 20 since, which is the same percentage from before he was hired. The newness may have worn off. But hey, he could be our new head coach.

We can spend the next 4 months doing the same things we're doing now. But hey, who needs gate receipts anyways....

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So 8 for the last 30 ? What team isn’t thrilled with that

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Is that a serious question ? Nearly any coach that understands today’s nhl , and offensive concepts and systems would be getting a better result . Was the dramatic improvement in the powerplay not an indicator enough for you , once Maclean came in ? Guys surprised of an actual offensive system , and Required of being at certain places , at certain times . This garbage of running all our offensive thru the blue line , cheating defenseman up all the time giving up odd man rushes , when we have an actual great defensive core is idiotic . Torts micro manages all the creativity out of his forwards . Oh, by the way , Duclair had another 2 goals today , 13 g on the season , 6 assists , 19 points in 30 games .

If Torts gets fired, I'd gladly bet that the next coach doesn't improve on the winning percentage for the rest of this season. It's not a systems issue. It's a talent issue. The CBJ are a bottom 10, maybe even a bottom 5 overall talented team.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If Torts gets fired, I'd gladly bet that the next coach doesn't improve on the winning percentage for the rest of this season. It's not a systems issue. It's a talent issue. The CBJ are a bottom 10, maybe even a bottom 5 overall talented team.
Yeah, I disagree . Having your defenseman jumping up all the time, and forwards having to back off their responsibility to make sure they cover for transition the other way , and coaching all the creativity out if your skilled players so they are thinking rather than playing hinders this team in a bad way

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Texier looks completely defeated.

Elvis looks like he's nearly in tears trying to take the blame for the losses in the games he's played.
I feel bad for the guy because he can't get a win. Sure he's had a couple of poor games but he's deserved at least 1 so far. I don't think he's ever had to deal with this type of losing before and it has to be eating him alive that he's doing what he can but its just not enough.

Reactions: ScreamingWild

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH

DING! DING!

I can’t believe the number of posters pinning this on Torts. He is not the problem. Talent is the problem and the arrow of blame should point to the guy who obtains said talent or lack there of.

Season is toast. The real work on fixing this offense happens in the offseason. Question is if Jarmo is capable of it?

Reactions: cbjfaninmo

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Just last February 30% of players named Torts as the coach they'd least like to play for. That's not motivation for most FAs to come here. I dont put it all on him but the fact he's disliked is a huge obstacle (among others) to CBJs ability to land quality FAs even if thrown big bucks.

Reactions: The Bread Man

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Just last February 30% of players named Torts as the coach they'd least like to play for. That's not motivation for most FAs to come here. I dont put it all on him but the fact he's disliked is a huge obstacle (among others) to CBJs ability to land quality FAs even if thrown big bucks.
He’s no different than Babcock . An aging dinosaur

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The teams that are 3-6 over that span.
I thought we were discussing the powerplay, and the one area Maclean is coaching ? Team record has nothing to do with that . If anything Maclean is holding his end of the bargain , the other coaches , not so much . Change will be coming soon

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Our offence is just horrible and it cant be fixed with little things. We need huge trades to get someone who can score. No we all look a like CBJ's first decade...

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I thought we were discussing the powerplay, and the one area Maclean is coaching ? Team record has nothing to do with that . If anything Maclean is holding his end of the bargain , the other coaches , not so much . Change will be coming soon
I am talking power play. Before MacLean was hired all we hear from you is how bad the PP is under Torts and how we keep losing and Torts never has a top 10 PP. Then they hire your savior and it is LOOK AT THE POWER PLAY, MACLEAN IS OUR SAVIOR AND NEXT COACH!!! But if you look, CBJ's points percentage was .500 before MacLean, .333 after, with the improved PP. You don't know if all MacLean is doing is the PP. Hiring him could have created more problems than it solves. Being on the outside, we have no way of knowing. But you are a numbers guy, and the numbers right now show they are losing more with the improved power play, and over the last 7 games, they are back to the way it was performing before the change. The losing could be attributed to the young guys getting more ice time, another thing you complained about and was told that playing them more could result in more losing. They did start 6 rookies last night. That is almost a third of the active players. You are expecting too much from this team, and holding the wrong people accountable. This isn't a coaching problem.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
We can spend the next 4 months doing the same things we're doing now. But hey, who needs gate receipts anyways....
True. But are they really doing the same things? They have made a noticable effort to play the younger players. They will have 50 plus chances to figure out how to play at this level. After all the moves last year, we all should have expected this type of season. This team needs to retool and the GM needs to be figuring out how to get better players here, and keep the younger talent they want. This is a golden oppurtunity for them to play these guys at this level. I don't like using the NHL for development, but this season has presented them a chance to get these kids experience they won't get in the AHL.

Reactions: Doggy

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Merzlikins is f***ing terrible.

The things some guys say, that the team might as well play Merzlikins ("over" Korpisalo) to see what he has or can be, is actually true in regards to the guys playing below Merzlikins.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
This team needs to retool and the GM needs to be figuring out how to get better players here, and keep the younger talent they want.
This team is up the creek. We have no game changer type talent in our farm system. The players we want to trade --nobody wants, especially with their contracts. The players that have trade value are the ones we want to keep to build around. The Blue Jackets are going to be left with building their team through the draft, something we're not very adept at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->