GDT: Game 29: Bruins @ Coyotes - 5PM - FSAZ+ No Shelves nor Elves

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I only caught bits of this game on TV.

1. Lyubushkin looks better each game.
2. Bunting doesn't ever want to ride on a bus again. He did more in one game than Kempe and Garland have done in ten; combined.
3. Garland is a bus rider.
4. I have never noticed/seen Coyotes players watching video on I-pads, in game.
Lyubushkin hasn't played in two weeks. I know guys on here sing his praises but he's too stiff and cant handle the puck for today's NHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well...do I go with?

1 - There were a lot of positives
2 - The AHLers played well
3 - Top Line Couldn't Play Defense

It was an entertaining game to watch. Btw, that is how a top line is supposed to play. Someone goes back door after a pass across ice, textbook "goal scoring hockey". The entire team should have to watch that clip 1000x in order to understand how you score goals at the NHL level...it was great and demoralizing to watch at the same time.

I thought both Bunting and Garland bring something to the table.

Crouse doesn't fit with the top line, no offensive instincts, he's a prototypical 4th line winger who can bang in 10 goals and is good on the PK.

Schmaltz needs to play much better defensively, but he brings offense with Keller so Tocchett needs to find a winger that can play with those guys.

Panik played well tonight...Bunting was buzzing all game, so I would have put him in there as the extra attacker, but I could understand the argument for Panik as he did have a good game.

Fellas, Oesterle bugs the crap out of me in the Dzone, he just throws it up the wall no matter what, doesn't matter if we have a guy there or not. I think it's time we brought up Capobianco and see if he can help upgrade the 3rd line D pairing.

Fischer is playing too high right now...he's not a 2nd line winger, I know we don't actually have a 2nd line winger, but he doesn't work well with Stepan.

Schmaltz/Keller work well together, let's try Galchenyuk/Stepan together and it would sure be nice to have Dvorak back. I think Schmatz/Dvorak/Keller could be an extremely good line...and more defensively responsible.

I hope Tocchett gets better with in game adjustments, but I just don't see it. It's the same thing game after game, which is why we're so bad in the 2nd period, other teams get a lead and then they just sit on the lead trapping us in the neutral zone. Which is why we generally have more shots in the third period, but they are not great scoring chances.

Anyway, entertaining hockey - would have more enjoyable had we won.

Hope the team remains positive.
Good post, but I think RT needs to find a C for Schmaltz and Keller. Schmaltz is not a C and that is why Chicago switched him to a winger.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You'll hear this B.S. from losing team fans. Meanwhile the Bruins have been destroyed by Injuries much more then the Yotes.
Looks like we have a good one in Schwartz. I said after last game they should consider putting Crouse on that line to balance it out and maybe RT reads these forums ;)
Keller took a big hit early on and Crouse went "after the guy" LOL. Today's hockey is a joke in that regard. No response after that all game. Not one big hit on Kreji or Marchand. That's the powder puff crew that Chyka has put together though. Even the call ups from Tucson all have the same DNA. I bet none of these guys need to wear a cup.
You see outside of Schwartz/Keller the most effective guys are Richardson and Cousins. Why ? they got some sandpaper to their game. We need some of our skill players to have that sandpaper. But Chyka loves the super soft skilled guy.
Bottom line is this. We are not a playoff team. By the end of the season you will see we are more of a lottery team. And I don't blame RT for this. He's playing the right style for the players Chyka is feeding him. And Chyka overall has done a good job he just needs to bring in some balance to this team. Some more Marchand type skilled guys.
It's a team sport, injuries do happen, but when you don't have a #1 goalie between the pipes it hurts more than any other injury.
That first line was terrible last night, got owned. They were a combined -9, and the only forwards under 50% possession. Crouse has played some good hockey and putting him on the first line is fine, but then play him.
I thought the RR line played pretty good game only having limited NHL experience.
Schmaltz 30% FOW, Stepan 33%FOW. Not good enough for your first two lines. Can anyone in our organization besides Richardson take a FO?

Reactions: RemoAZ

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
This.

Our cobbled-together "1st line" was outclassed. And with Bruins having last change there was nothing we could do about it.

True, our top line was beat, but I still like what they bring to the game. I think their inexperience was put on display. Bruins top line has played 1,718 NHL games to the Coyotes 394.

We are a very young team, particularly among those with the most skill.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Lyubushkin is a good 7th D, but he isn't really NHL caliber. The first pass isn't there out of the zone, he's like that QB in the NHL who can't throw the receiver open, he has to wait for the receiver to get open before he passes. That's not a bad thing, he does provide toughness and is good in the Dzone, which Oesterle isn't, but he should be an injury replacement.

Oesterle is that QB who stops looking downfield for receivers when he gets pressured and just throws it up for grabs or takes the sack. Either way, Oesterle is just slightly better than Lyubushkin overall, but neither one is going to help us push this team to the next level and into the playoffs.

I think Capobianco would be breath of fresh air, providing better Defense than Oesterle and better offense than Lyubushkin.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
True, our top line was beat, but I still like what they bring to the game. I think their inexperience was put on display. Bruins top line has played 1,718 NHL games to the Coyotes 394.

We are a very young team, particularly among those with the most skill.
I am not suggesting we blow anything up - just my opinion on the loss. Good experience for the youth. If we played that game at home and matched Richie's line against their top line we would have won.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I agree with azcanuck's opinion. We have no sandpaper and we need at players who are just plain mean, or at the least, just plain Domi who won't take crap from no body. (Preferably from the Bronx.) Lyubushkin gets cornered easily and coughs up the puck. He doesn't have the skills to play D on an NHL sheet of ice. I do like his size and strength.

I also agree with ctwin (I think) who noted that we just don't have the talent to match up against Boston's 1st line.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
All of Schmaltz's goals have been PP goals. He's -6 in seven games here. He and Keller are both -8 in the last five. They each have three even strength points in the seven games.
I'm not saying Schmaltz sucks, but those two are the definition of a line that needs sheltering. Especially if we are going to play one of them as the center.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Garland or Bunting, which player is more ready for the NHL?

Honestly I have been super impressed by them both. Bunting seems like more of an NHL player to me at the moment, because he brings more than just finesse and speed like Garland. That being said, Garland has a chance to stick because of his pure offensive instincts and speed. His size doesn't matter anymore, especially in today's NHL. I'd like to see them both stick. Maybe push players like Panik and/or Archibald out of a job

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Honestly I have been super impressed by them both. Bunting seems like more of an NHL player to me at the moment, because he brings more than just finesse and speed like Garland. That being said, Garland has a chance to stick because of his pure offensive instincts and speed. His size doesn't matter anymore, especially in today's NHL. I'd like to see them both stick. Maybe push players like Panik and/or Archibald out of a job

It was indicative of how coaching thinks about Garland that he was on the ice with the top line at the end of the game.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I'm not too thrilled with another loss in the streak, especially when it could have been different. In terms of entertainment value, this game was decently entertaining. Could have been better on that front too. Even if it's against decent teams and whatnot.. losing 3 in a row is never a good thing.

A thing I also watched a lot in this game is players taking way too long to shoot the puck and getting them blocked as a result. It's not new... but you would think it would have been discussed to them at some point. End of the game, less than a minute left and they are hesitant to shoot until their shooting lanes get closed down. Boston had absolutely no issues one timing their pucks at/into the net on their cross crease passes. What a surprise.

Another thing that has been referenced too that's holding this team back is that when I watch.. I can't say they act like a team. Best young player gets smoked and they really don't seem to mind that much. If this team actually acted like they had each other's back and played in a manner that showed that... they'd be better imo. As it is, just seems like a bunch of guys playing their specific role they've been told and doing enough not to get benched. What's the team identity?

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I thought we played well for the most part... but man did we get exposed on defense in the 2nd period... all 4 of those goals were pretty much the exact same ... twice on OEL ... they never ever got the guy in front of the net ... Both defensive partners went for the puck carrier and left the net wide open

I wonder if it was something they picked up on .. I saw Marchand looking at the eye pad on the bench ... just speculating of course... but was wierd to see those go in .. I think Hill would have stopped those ,( with the exception of the last goal ) he seems very good with his lateral movement

Reactions: Pomee

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I'm not too thrilled with another loss in the streak, especially when it could have been different. In terms of entertainment value, this game was decently entertaining. Could have been better on that front too. Even if it's against decent teams and whatnot.. losing 3 in a row is never a good thing.

A thing I also watched a lot in this game is players taking way too long to shoot the puck and getting them blocked as a result. It's not new... but you would think it would have been discussed to them at some point. End of the game, less than a minute left and they are hesitant to shoot until their shooting lanes get closed down. Boston had absolutely no issues one timing their pucks at/into the net on their cross crease passes. What a surprise.

Another thing that has been referenced too that's holding this team back is that when I watch.. I can't say they act like a team. Best young player gets smoked and they really don't seem to mind that much. If this team actually acted like they had each other's back and played in a manner that showed that... they'd be better imo. As it is, just seems like a bunch of guys playing their specific role they've been told and doing enough not to get benched. What's the team identity?

I agree , especially on the power play .... Bruin guy is out of position , there is a clear path right to the net , and Panik I believe decides to pull up and go down into the corner .. he wasn't the only one either .

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I thought we played well for the most part... but man did we get exposed on defense in the 2nd period... all 4 of those goals were pretty much the exact same ... twice on OEL ... they never ever got the guy in front of the net ... Both defensive partners went for the puck carrier and left the net wide open

I wonder if it was something they picked up on .. I saw Marchand looking at the eye pad on the bench ... just speculating of course... but was wierd to see those go in .. I think Hill would have stopped those ,( with the exception of the last goal ) he seems very good with his lateral movement

I watched the replay and Tyson Nash was a bit prophetic when in the late minutes of the first period he made the comment that the Coyotes better do something with Boston's top line soon or it was going to come back and bite them. We all found out.....

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I watched the replay and Tyson Nash was a bit prophetic when in the late minutes of the first period he made the comment that the Coyotes better do something with Boston's top line soon or it was going to come back and bite them. We all found out.....
Boston made adjustments, we didn't.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Tyson is a very good analyst and always makes insightful comments. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad