GDT: Game 29 - Battle for 1st in the Metro-Washington vs Columbus Dec. 8, 2018

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Cling to your stats and your probability if you like but what's indisputable is I posted something here and within an hour it was being publicly addressed by the team.
trouble.gif

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Cling to your stats and your probability if you like but what's indisputable is I posted something here and within an hour it was being publicly addressed by the team.

:laugh:

Yes. They were so concerned by the question that they got a meeting together immediately and managed to change gears and address the media, all within an hour of the question being posted.

:laugh:

It sometimes takes me longer than that to figure out what to eat.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Gees. Ammo for everyone's confirmation bias in this one (mine included, most likely). Anyway, for all the season-long griping over the goalies and Wennberg and Werenski and the piss-poor special teams...

I can't shake that what really looks bad is the defense. I'm sure it would be easy for me to look up and see how it compares to previous years - and there seems to be a noticeable uptick in scoring league-wide this season - but the eyeball test is showing me poor structure and hopelessness on odd-man rushes.

Does this jive with anyone else's sense? What's the cause? What's the solution?

I agree.

In my opinion, the problem stems from how central the defense is to everything this team does.

Maybe we are asking too much from them? They have to basically run the offense, defense, and transition.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
What's not likely to generate debate - at least I sure hope that's the case - is the switch back to their original roles is the right move.

......I'm excluding the option of Shaw back to Defense and Larson to the back door. :laugh:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
+/- is not a defensive stat, it's a combination of an offensive stat with a defensive stat.

Wennberg and Dubois both have very high goals against, out of character for Wennberg. You might say that at least in Dubois' case his line scores just as many as they give up.

Wennberg will get back to normal, perhaps once free from Dubinsky. Dubois and Werenski need to be taught to play better defense and in the meantime it wouldn't hurt to avoid putting them out there with each other.

+/- is a much better stat than the vast majority of the bogus "numbers" that you come up with, which really most of the time are just a variation of +/- divided a couple times. You will always be able to find a number or 2 that you can divide and/or multiply and then compare to other players to attempt to push whatever narrative you are trying to push.

And with the "subtle" shots at the other centers, along with the defense of baby boy in the same breath, its clear what narrative you are trying to pass off as truth. Dubois and Dubinsky have been 2 of our best 3 centers this year. And that's counting Jenner as the 3rd guy.

We really are to the point of being out of options, if Dubinsky is another guy who doesn't "fit" with Wennberg. I mean really, (I guess bust out the mathematician bloggers and the numbers) who does Wennberg "fit" with? Who hasn't he played with? Is the answer to just throw Panarin on his wing to "get him going"? Or maybe he will "fit" with Hannikainen and Nash. Just 2 more guys to blame, huh?

This idea that Wennberg is some defensive stalwart is COMPLETE BS, imo. His "defensive stickwork" is NO better than any of our "main/important" offensive players, he is NO better positionally and he does not have above average "defensive awareness". He is a good skater, that is his ONLY above average quality defensively. The main/real issue with Dubois is that he gets a bit too aggressive at times, in any of the 3 zones, and is not quite able to recover in time. I'd take that over what we get with Wennberg (and yes Werenski, who also has Dubois' aggressiveness issues) a lot of times. He gets caught watching the play and loses his man, or he'll "cover" a guy who's already tied up with a CBJ player. Not to mention Wennberg is BY FAR the "softest" and quite literally weakest (on his stick) out of all our other centers. Nash and Sedlak included. f***, and Dalpe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad