GDT: Game 29 - Battle for 1st in the Metro-Washington vs Columbus Dec. 8, 2018

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
So let me make sure I understand how this works. The 3rd line gave up 2 bad goals in the first, to a great extent because of Dubi with help from Werenski. As punishment, Torts basically staples Duclair to the bench for most of the next two periods. :huh:

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
18,501 got to witness that masterpiece....
Cleared about half by 5 mins remaining. For a “rivalry” game that was perhaps the quietest I’ve ever witnessed. Might have been one good hit on either side for whole game. I just can’t call myself of the skate only pond hockey that’s been taking over the league. Washington forced turnovers hard but sucked at capitalizing. They did capitalize hard on CBJ mistakes; turnovers with too many pinched low with resulting odd man rush against. Goal 4 was case and point.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
The advanced vision of power play guru Larson is clearly beyond your meager grasp. :sarcasm:
I like how Caps stfu his mummbling about how it's "tough in this league to protect the lead these days" blah blah

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Most of the problem is the system Torts insists on using . Perhaps , develop your skilled wingers and let them create offense , instead of having your defenseman jumping in deep, nearly every play . Just blows my mind that the front office extended this guy .

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Gees. Ammo for everyone's confirmation bias in this one (mine included, most likely). Anyway, for all the season-long griping over the goalies and Wennberg and Werenski and the piss-poor special teams...

I can't shake that what really looks bad is the defense. I'm sure it would be easy for me to look up and see how it compares to previous years - and there seems to be a noticeable uptick in scoring league-wide this season - but the eyeball test is showing me poor structure and hopelessness on odd-man rushes.

Does this jive with anyone else's sense? What's the cause? What's the solution?

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
They will start with this.

Hopefully this is the tightening nuse from the front office, on Torts. I mean , what an idiotic move. Jarmo has to look at the big picture, and the fact that Torts is probably one of the worst coaches you could have, when trying to develop young talent. As we've been witnessing , the Nhl is changing dramatically, to a scoring league, and this is a great thing. But it also means that you have to develop your skilled players.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->