Pre-Game Talk: GAME 29 7:14 PM - HOGTOWN RETURNS - NESN, CBC, SN (4K), WBZ-FM 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
GDT WILL OPEN LATER TODAY

upload_2018-12-8_7-9-44.png

upload_2018-12-8_7-10-10.png

BOSTON -- Frederik Andersen has a more than respectable 164-70-31 career regular-season record in the NHL.
But against the Boston Bruins, his record is 11-1-0 as he and the Toronto Maple Leafs visit Boston on Saturday night in the opener of Toronto's five-game road trip.

Andersen, who did lose a seven-game playoff series to the Bruins last season, has a 2.08 goals-against average and .937 save percentage in the regular season against Boston. That might not be a great omen for the current Bruins, who are having all kinds of trouble scoring goals.

The injury-ravaged Bruins have lost three straight games, all in regulation -- the first time that has happened since March 2017. They have scored four goals in the three games, a stretch that includes the fifth shutout this season.

They are 4-4-2 in their last 10 and haven't scored more than three goals in any of those games, limited to just 16 goals. They were dreadful in a 5-0 loss at Florida on Tuesday but played better in a 3-2 loss at Tampa Bay on Thursday.
"You have to be very good to beat these guys," coach Bruce

Cassidy said after the game. "We weren't quite there yet but much better than the previous night."

The same night, the Maple Leafs, with Michael Nylander making his season debut after signing his new six-year contract, rallied for three goals to force overtime before their five-game winning streak ended in overtime at the hands of the Detroit Red Wings.

"They were just better than us," Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock said after his team fell to 20-8-1. "The greatest thing about the game, I say this all the time, it's so honest. They played harder, they were better and I thought we did a real good job to get ourselves a point, but they were the team that deserved the two. It was great that we got one. We didn't have enough hands on deck."

On Nov. 26, the Leafs defeated the Bruins in Toronto behind Andersen, who made 38 saves in his latest victory over the Bruins. The goaltender comes in 16-7-0 with a 2.32 goals-against average and .931 save percentage this season.

If Cassidy continues with his rotation, Jaroslav Halak will be back in net Saturday after Tuukka Rask lost Thursday night.
Halak is 9-4-4 with a 2.84 goals-against average and .913 save percentage lifetime against the Leafs.

Nylander logged 12:29 on 18 shifts in his debut, failing to put anything on the board.

"I thought Willy was fine," Babcock said. "It was probably unfair for me -- we had the bus (breakdown in Buffalo) thing that happened, we were supposed to practice together, we never even gave the guy a practice. We wanted to get him in."

The Bruins have Charlie McAvoy back on a defense that has been without as many as six players at one time and is still trying to survive without captain Zdeno Chara and Kevan Miller. Up front, Boston is without Patrice Bergeron, who leads this team in all phases of the game.

They scored early and late Thursday night, but the Lightning scored their three in between and hung on for the win.

"Tonight is a little more disappointing (than frustrating), to be honest with you," Cassidy said. "We were right there."

David Krejci broke an 18-game goal-scoring drought with his 590th career point Thursday. That tied him with team president Cam Neely for 10th place on the club's career scoring list -- with Neely at the game.

The Bruins (14-10-4) visit Ottawa on Sunday and return home to play the Arizona Coyotes on Tuesday night.

Boston claimed Gemel Smith off waivers from the Dallas Stars on Thursday.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Multi-point night from JFK. Let's go baby, wooooooooooooooooooooo

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The same night, the Maple Leafs, with Michael Nylander making his season debut after signing his new six-year contract, rallied for three goals to force overtime before their five-game winning streak ended in overtime at the hands of the Detroit Red Wings.
Wow, Dubas is really desperate :sarcasm:

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Now that we've claimed Gemel Smith I feel better about our chances tonight...
Agreed. If they can manage to bring back Paille and Campbell, they can build a solid 4th line and maybe rebrand it as a different wine type, say Menage a Trois.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Agreed. If they can manage to bring back Paille and Campbell, they can build a solid 4th line and maybe rebrand it as a different wine type, say Menage a Trois.

Yip... And we wouldnt be making this point justice if we didnt bring back
Trent whitfield.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
For whatever reason, they seem to have Toronto’s number over the course of the last few seasons so a win wouldn’t surprise me.

As a fan, I’m wondering if wins are what’s best for this organization right now so it puts me into an awkward position.

But as for this game and this season, Montreal just passed you although you have a game in hand. Pittsburgh is still on the outside looking in, but they’re too good and have too much talent to DNQ.

Bruins could be without a chair to sit in at the dance sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Tarmore

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Thanks for the pregame thread.

I love watching the kids grow up. It's tough especially now that Bergeron's injury is potentially season ending. However these tough stretches are both a necessary evil in the growth process and when used properly the very best catalyst for growth.

At this point I dream of having a one line team again that grows into a deeper team. If we can cling to a playoff spot while growing until Bergeron is back then that will be a huge win.

My lines
Marchand Krejci Pastrnak
Debrusk Cave Nordstrom
Heinen JFK Backes
Donato/Wagner Kuraly Smith

Now Heinen, Bjork, Donato, Frederic, Senyshyn, Hughes, Blidh and others have every opportunity to move guys down or out of this lineup. Obviously the kids haven't acclimated to the job fast enough. Forcing then to continue to compete for the time remains the best possible way to get them going.

As many have mentioned a deal for a significant trade is no longer attractive. Now more than ever the Bruins must remain true to the process no matter how painful games like the Panthers can be.

I don't care who but I hope at least one or two of the kids play their best game tonight.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Divver is usually money on this stuff. This would make Fluto look like a dope (but it doesn't take much) but can't say I'm thrilled. Bjork/Donato both clearly showed they need AHL time and I don't think short stints down there help. Unless, of course, someone wants to scout Bjork again at the NHL level?

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Coming into the season we had to know this isnt a cup contender. There are 2 things here to do. One we just watch the games without any real expectations since there should not be or believe that this team can go far in the playoffs and somehow win a cup.
Ive said it before and ill say it again i dont see a great future for the Bruins they have an ok future nothing more.
The bruins imo need to look into how can they rebuild. They've waited to long in hanging on to their vets..team lacks vision and depend on Hope.
When we are facing a team like Tor tonight ..im reminded on how much excitement a team as such arises vs our team that really Isnt a fun team since they have too many garbage ahlers . We also imo dont have enough resources to make moves that will make us a true contender

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Coming into the season we had to know this isnt a cup contender.
The playoff loss to Tampa showed us exactly where the Bruins stand in relation to Cup contention. The only significant upgrade they made in the offseason was at the backup goaltender position. There was no scoring depth in the playoffs, and there still isn’t.

The Bruins may eke out a first round win IF they’re healthy enough, otherwise there’s a first round waxing or a DNQ looming this spring.

Not enough health. Not enough talent.

Reactions: Marcobruin

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Screw the Leafs! That's about it. Win or lose, screw the Leafs. But, I can enjoy watching good players like Marner, Matthews, and Tavares. Even if they are carving up the Bruins. I know the sky is falling at HF Boards, but it is doing that pretty much every season, at least since I've been a member. The Bruins are still injured as can be. Aside from Z, Bergy, and Miller, you have Carlo and McAvoy that haven't gotten up to game shape yet. I don't know what universe you'd have to be in to recognize that a D corps in that kind of shape is going to give you a struggling team. It's worse that kids are struggling after being so good last season, too. If we remain objective, we know that they can play in the NHL and play well, but there are growing pains.

The Gemel Smith era starts tonight.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Coming into the season we had to know this isnt a cup contender. There are 2 things here to do. One we just watch the games without any real expectations since there should not be or believe that this team can go far in the playoffs and somehow win a cup.
Ive said it before and ill say it again i dont see a great future for the Bruins they have an ok future nothing more.
The bruins imo need to look into how can they rebuild. They've waited to long in hanging on to their vets..team lacks vision and depend on Hope.
When we are facing a team like Tor tonight ..im reminded on how much excitement a team as such arises vs our team that really Isnt a fun team since they have too many garbage ahlers . We also imo dont have enough resources to make moves that will make us a true contender
I don’t think it’s so much that they held on to their Veterans to long,as it s they haven’t added to the team to go with them,they tried with Tavares ,I honestly think with another top six winger and legitimate number 3 Centre who can step up if needed they can be a legitimate contending team,the question is can they get these guys ,and obviously everyone would have to be healthy.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Screw the Leafs! That's about it. Win or lose, screw the Leafs. But, I can enjoy watching good players like Marner, Matthews, and Tavares. Even if they are carving up the Bruins. I know the sky is falling at HF Boards, but it is doing that pretty much every season, at least since I've been a member. The Bruins are still injured as can be. Aside from Z, Bergy, and Miller, you have Carlo and McAvoy that haven't gotten up to game shape yet. I don't know what universe you'd have to be in to recognize that a D corps in that kind of shape is going to give you a struggling team. It's worse that kids are struggling after being so good last season, too. If we remain objective, we know that they can play in the NHL and play well, but there are growing pains.

The Gemel Smith era starts tonight.
One forward even if it’s Bergy shouldn’t totally kill your offence

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I don’t think it’s so much that they held on to their Veterans to long,as it s they haven’t added to the team to go with them,they tried with Tavares ,I honestly think with another top six winger and legitimate number 3 Centre who can step up if needed they can be a legitimate contending team,the question is can they get these guys ,and obviously everyone would have to be healthy.

Correct however im one to believe that they never went out of their way to get Tav..and as you know they didnt get him.
The bruins are aging DK and Berg will start going down.. Its just a reality.
Imo they need a real good rwinger preferably with a right hand shot ... They need a whole new third line that csn also score and then they can put who they want on the 4th line.
The drop from the second line to our third line is like a drop from Nhl to AHL

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
One forward even if it’s Bergy shouldn’t totally kill your offence

There are a lot of things that shouldn't happen but do :dunno: It got worse losing defensemen that can make good plays to help the offense (McAvoy, Carlo, even Chara still at times). I still believe in our young players getting on track. It might not be enough to save the season, or it might be. Team is over .500 still even with the injuries and tough starts for the young forwards and yet people are talking about tearing it all down. By the way, I don't disagree that we need a 3c and probably a top 6 wing but this isn't the 74-75 Capitals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad