Pre-Game Talk: Game 29 7:07 PM - Here Come The Hawks - NESN, ESPN+, SN, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Alicat will have the GDT later today

upload_2019-12-4_23-25-13.png

upload_2019-12-4_23-25-43.png

The Boston Bruins have been playing with fire of late, as they ride an eight-game winning streak into a home matchup with the Chicago Blackhawks on Thursday night.

The Bruins extended their run -- and a 12-game points streak (9-0-3) overall -- with a 2-0 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes on Tuesday in which both goals came during the final five minutes of regulation. Boston has scored nine of its 10 goals in its last four games in the third period or later, the only outlier coming with 1:32 left in the second period of an overtime win over the New York Rangers last Friday.

"We know how to play when the game is on the line," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "We're still focusing on our start.

"... No team is going to have it together for 60 minutes every night, we've talked about that. We're building like everyone else."

The Blackhawks certainly have more to build on than most -- the team has lost six of its last seven (1-5-1) to fall to the cellar of the Central Division. Chicago is coming off a 4-0 shutout at the hands of the St. Louis Blues on Monday.

In that game, the Blackhawks played a man short due to injuries and their current salary cap situation. Without room under the cap to maneuver, Chicago played 11 forwards and six defensemen.

"It is what it is. We got down on the score pretty early in the game. Sometimes you shorten your bench in those situations anyway," captain Jonathan Toews said. "It's something we're used to. It shouldn't be that big of a deal."

Andrew Shaw (concussion) being scratched necessitated the unique circumstance, as he joined fellow forwards Dylan Strome (concussion) and Drake Caggiula (concussion), defenseman Duncan Keith (groin) and goaltender Robin Lehner (illness) in being unable to play. Strome, Caggiula and Lehner's availability will be evaluated prior to Thursday's game, while defenseman Olli Maatta is expected to play after missing practice Wednesday due to flu-like symptoms.

With Lehner nearing return, Chicago re-assigned goaltender Kevin Lankinen to American Hockey League affiliate Rockford and recalled defenseman Dennis Gilbert.

The Bruins could benefit from the return of one of their defensemen Thursday after John Moore practiced Wednesday and is nearing his season debut. Moore has been sidelined since shoulder surgery in June.

"[Thursday] morning we'll make those decisions, who's going to go in," Cassidy said. "We want to make sure he (Moore) got through a good practice today, a little more contact. If he's ready to go, then we'll have to make a decision whether he goes in or not."

Forward Brett Ritchie is also nearing his return from an elbow infection, while top-line center Patrice Bergeron (lower body) won't be available Thursday but is "getting closer," according to Cassidy.
With Bergeron out, David Krejci has performed well on the top line with six points (two goals, four assists) in his past five games.

The Bruins have won four of their past five meetings with the Blackhawks.

:bruins:hawks

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Boston Bruins, what a team!

I am so glad to be a part of the fan base and this Bruins' forum.

Go Bruins

Likewise.

The Blackhawks have been really inconsistent so it's hard to know what they're going to bring to the table in this one. There's enough talent there that when they put it all together they can be a dangerous team, but there's also been a few games where they've been simply awful.

As we know the Bruins tend to play down, or occasionally up, to their opponents level. So I guess I'm hoping either that the Bruins have a real cracker and just blow the Hawks away, or Chicago shows up and we get a great effort and good contest from both sides. Our winning streak has to end probably sooner rather than later, but I don't really want it to be against the wishy-washy Hawks. So get it done boys!!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Likewise.

The Blackhawks have been really inconsistent so it's hard to know what they're going to bring to the table in this one. There's enough talent there that when they put it all together they can be a dangerous team, but there's also been a few games where they've been simply awful.

As we know the Bruins tend to play down, or occasionally up, to their opponents level. So I guess I'm hoping either that the Bruins have a real cracker and just blow the Hawks away, or Chicago shows up and we get a great effort and good contest from both sides. Our winning streak has to end probably sooner rather than later, but I don't really want it to be against the wishy-washy Hawks. So get it done boys!!

2 weeks ago the Blackhawks had played themselves back into being in playoff contention and the wheels fell off

upload_2019-12-5_0-59-9.png

The 2013 SCF still stings but even though we lost there was no bitterness from Bruins fans - the games were well played with no controversy. Blackhawks fans freely admit that with a couple of bounces Boston could have swept the series and of their 3 Cup wins the Bruins were the toughest opponent.

I will always wonder why Julien did not call a timeout after the Hawks tied Game 6 just to settle the team down. The Hawks suddenly had a chance to win the Cup and they took advantage as they wanted no part of a Game 7 against us even with it in Chicago.

The Hawks are in salary cap hell and it isn't going to improve anytime soon

Chicago Blackhawks - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I lived in Chicago for 10 years in 2 stints in the 80's and 00's and the Hawks became my second team.

Bruins fans complain about Jacobs but he is a saint compared to Bill (Dollar Bill) Wirtz.

These videos come from Bobby Hull retirement night around 1985. Hawks fans were demanding Hull's number be retired and finally Wirtz did so in the most low key way possible. The tapes only exist because somebody at TV38 thought the HHoF might be interested.

Nobody in Chicago saw this outside of the fans in the Stadium as Wirtz did not allow home games to be televised - In 1971 Wirtz kept the blackout in place for Game 7 of the SCF but did have a closed-circuit feed beamed to movie theaters and a horse track.

By 2005 the Hawks were a dead franchise as they had many home games with less than 5,000 fans at the United Center. There was even talk the team might move to Kansas City - it was that bad. Wirtz had fired popular play by play announcer Pat Foley for unknown reasons and Foley wound up calling the AHL Wolves for 2 years and they got bigger ratings than the Hawks.

Then just before the 2007-08 season began Wirtz died.

At the home opener, the Blackhawks had a pregame ceremony to honor Wirtz's memory - it was a horror show

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
2 weeks ago the Blackhawks had played themselves back into being in playoff contention and the wheels fell off

View attachment 286651

The 2013 SCF still stings but even though we lost there was no bitterness from Bruins fans - the games were well played with no controversy. Blackhawks fans freely admit that with a couple of bounces Boston could have swept the series and of their 3 Cup wins the Bruins were the toughest opponent.

I will always wonder why Julien did not call a timeout after the Hawks tied Game 6 just to settle the team down. The Hawks suddenly had a chance to win the Cup and they took advantage as they wanted no part of a Game 7 against us even with it in Chicago.

I lived in Chicago for 10 years in 2 stints in the 80's and 00's and the Hawks became my second team.

Bruins fans complain about Jacobs but he is a saint compared to Bill (Dollar Bill) Wirtz.

These videos come from Bobby Hull retirement night around 1985. Hawks fans were demanding Hull's number be retired and finally Wirtz did so in the most low key way possible. The tapes only exist because somebody at TV38 thought the HHoF might be interested.

Nobody in Chicago saw this outside of the fans in the Stadium as Wirtz did not allow home games to be televised - In 1971 Wirtz kept the blackout in place for Game 7 of the SCF but did have a closed-circuit feed beamed to movie theaters and a horse track.

By 2005 the Hawks were a dead franchise as they had many home games with less than 5,000 fans at the United Center. There was even talk the team might move to Kansas City - it was that bad. Wirtz had fired popular play by play announcer Pat Foley for unknown reasons and Foley wound up calling the AHL Wolves for 2 years and they got bigger ratings than the Hawks.

At the home opener, the Blackhawks had a pregame ceremony to honor Wirtz's memory - it was a horror show

Thanks Fenway. The sharing of your vast hockey and broadcasting knowledge and all the interesting and sometimes obscure videos and history is much appreciated. Adds so much to the context, build and anticipation for the games.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

View attachment 286651

I'm a lifelong Bruins fan but likewise was always an observer of the Hawks and the whole Dollar Bill/Pullie saga(remember FreeTheHawks.com?). In March of 1994, I flew to Chicago to see a game in the old Stadium. Through a fraternity connection, I sat six rows behind the Hawks bench, right near Peter Wirtz, with a copy of The Blue Line in my back pocket.

The Bruins had some tough times as well, but they never lacked for good coverage the way the Hawks did, with NESN, the WBZ 1030 radio signal, 98.5, etc.

BSJ Live Q&A: Conor Ryan on Bruins, NHL & more – Thursday at 6 p.m. | Boston Sports Journal

Reactions: BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I know the Hawks aren`t competing for any cups soon but can`t sleep on them, they still have talent to burn you. Hope the B`s aren`t looking forward to their next game.

4-3 IMO for the good guys of course

Reactions: BMC

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Should be a multi goal win, wouldn't be surprised if it's a one goal game.

I want to say 5-2 Bruins, but I'm thinking 3-2 or 2-1 Bruins.

aguineapig

Whilst wasting away the time till puck drop, the following have popped into the foolishness of thought. Was it global warming that turned the Oakland Seals California Golden? Were the Atlanta Flames named in tribute to Sherman torching the town? What would have happened if Harry hadn't met Sally? Or if he had not traded Secord to Hawks for future GM Mike O'Connell?

Reactions: Strafer and BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad