GDT: Game 27 | Columbus at Washington | 12/2 7PM

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Ok it's only one loss but......They seem to have one line and a bunch of passengers. I'm tired of the lines Torts is rolling out there. The Milano experiment is not working. If he doesn't fumble the puck he's getting knocked off it or falling down. Putting Cam with Dubi and Jenner is not working this year. Playing Bjorkstrand as a 4th line plug is a waste of his talent. Wennberg, where the hell are you? Sometimes safe is death, but lately it has been death, especially against a team like this. They play so hard to score a goal and then give them up so easily. Why can't they come out ready to play at the start of the game or the start of a period. They make it so much harder on themselves having to play catch-up all the time. How come other teams can interfere and hold us but we get penalties for the same thing. We didn't even get to see our awful PP tonight.

On the positive side the first line was awesome and they dominated the game almost every time they were on the ice. Glad to see Calvert back too. If Panarin doesn't celebrate they might have gone to OT and got at least a point. So kudo's for not giving up.

But it was still an ugly game, and they didn't win it this time. They play way too unstructured as compared to last year. Better get it together fast as there are too many important in division games coming up.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I hate this strategy of winning the face off and then just doing the old dump and chase. We did it three times 6 on 5. We work hard to get control of the puck and then basically have to out hustle the Caps to gain control again.
Not my preference, but it is Torts' preference. :dunno:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I can't blame Panarin there. If it was playoffs is be pissed but you don't want to take another guys goal like that if it looks like a sure thing. Cost us a point but unless the season ends and we needed 1 point overall for 1 reason or another it's fine.

I don't blame Bob at all... 1 of those goals should have been stopped the other 3 he didn't really have a chance and the D blew it. Notably Savard.

PLD over pool party looking like GMJK really is a genius. Werenski is now the top goal scorer in the league for D making him holding off for him over Hanifan look great especially because instead of making that move they made another to getting Carlson. Anderson and Panarin are heating up.

We need Anderson to somehow connect to pizza so we can have the French bread pizza line.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Ok it's only one loss but......They seem to have one line and a bunch of passengers. I'm tired of the lines Torts is rolling out there. The Milano experiment is not working. If he doesn't fumble the puck he's getting knocked off it or falling down. Putting Cam with Dubi and Jenner is not working this year. Playing Bjorkstrand as a 4th line plug is a waste of his talent. Wennberg, where the hell are you? Sometimes safe is death, but lately it has been death, especially against a team like this. They play so hard to score a goal and then give them up so easily. Why can't they come out ready to play at the start of the game or the start of a period. They make it so much harder on themselves having to play catch-up all the time. How come other teams can interfere and hold us but we get penalties for the same thing. We didn't even get to see our awful PP tonight.

On the positive side the first line was awesome and they dominated the game almost every time they were on the ice. Glad to see Calvert back too. If Panarin doesn't celebrate they might have gone to OT and got at least a point. So kudo's for not giving up.

But it was still an ugly game, and they didn't win it this time. They play way too unstructured as compared to last year. Better get it together fast as there are too many important in division games coming up.
Excellent post. Agree with pretty much everything here. I'm probably a bit more patient on Milano, but I'm not sure I have strong case. :handclap: :handclap:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I can't blame Panarin there. If it was playoffs is be pissed but you don't want to take another guys goal like that if it looks like a sure thing. Cost us a point but unless the season ends and we needed 1 point overall for 1 reason or another it's fine.

I don't blame Bob at all... 1 of those goals should have been stopped the other 3 he didn't really have a chance and the D blew it. Notably Savard.

PLD over pool party looking like GMJK really is a genius. Werenski is now the top goal scorer in the league for D making him holding off for him over Hanifan look great especially because instead of making that move they made another to getting Carlson. Anderson and Panarin are heating up.

We need Anderson to somehow connect to pizza so we can have the French bread pizza line.

“you don't want to take another guys goal like that if it looks like a sure thing.”

If it’s for the game tying goal with under 5 minutes left in the game then, yes.. yes, you do whatever it takes to get that puck to cross the line even if that means taking a goal away from a teammate.

Taking a goal away from a teammate but still tying the game up with your own goal > holding back, not taking a goal away from a teammate but not scoring all in the same sequence.

Goal > No goal.
Point(s) > No points.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I get what your saying but I just know that people get paid for their production with bonuses or it could change how much playing time you get and so on so bread at that moment was thinking that's in I'm not stealing it and being that guy even though he needs to be that aggressive and take that. I just don't blame him. He was thinking as a teammate their and that just shows me his character. I guarantee you he never does that again here though. I'd bet this new fancy cage in my spine on it haha.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Not sure if Panarin foolishly held up tapping it in or if someone had his stick held down and by the time he worked it free it was too late he was too far past the net to tap it in w/out dislodging it.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Not sure if Panarin foolishly held up tapping it in or if someone had his stick held down and by the time he worked it free it was too late he was too far past the net to tap it in w/out dislodging it.

The overhead view seemed to clearly show that he was having his stick lifted just prior to raising his arms. To me, it's unlikely he is in a position to tap it in regardless of his reaction.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
The overhead view seemed to clearly show that he was having his stick lifted just prior to raising his arms. To me, it's unlikely he is in a position to tap it in regardless of his reaction.

His stick was being lifted but to me he seemed to think it was going in and just started to celebrate. If he was immediately adamant about going for the puck to make sure it was in, I believe he could have fought off the stick and put it in. But that's easy for me to say while I type behind my keyboard.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The loss sucks because they deserve a point, but at least Jersey lost too. If we can win both games (in regulation) against Jersey we'll be alright. But yeah, this loss sucks.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
His stick was being lifted but to me he seemed to think it was going in and just started to celebrate. If he was immediately adamant about going for the puck to make sure it was in, I believe he could have fought off the stick and put it in. But that's easy for me to say while I type behind my keyboard.
Here is another angle with slow mo. The moment that puck touched the ice his stick was up by Beagle already.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I thought it was unfair for our TV guys to beat up on Panarin. I don't see how he could have tapped that in.

Totally agree. It is strange how our TV guys can see so many positives at times, even through a complete train wreck, but question a borderline play when they don't know the circumstances of what actually happened or what Panarin was actually thinking at that moment in time (was it the stick lift, a premature celebration or did he ever really have a chance to get to the puck).

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Here is another angle with slow mo. The moment that puck touched the ice his stick was up by Beagle already.

As I look at it, I still believe if his intention would have been to make sure that puck was in, he could have fought that stick lift off and have a "chance" to put it in. He would have been driving towards the net and not away from it. Anyways, it's over. We can debate it forever, it's not going to change the outcome. I'm not even mad about it. I'm happy the way he's playing and wish they had a couple more players with his skill level.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I detest the days when the medication techs somehow forget about me or I get overlooked. It screws up the entire morning. Then you combine that with the failure to change my drool cup, and my entire day just gets shot to hell.

So with that backdrop, please allow me to say;

I wish we had beaten those punks.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well being the leader of the anti-Wennberg forces, I hereby give him one more game, making three since his return from injury for him to work out his ineptitude before I officially start with the "I told you so" threads. So, c'mon Pooh, prove me wrong. I would be happy if you do.

Reactions: CPTN71

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Thanks.....Great view of it. The DMan took away his chance for a tap-in.....(the kind of thing I wish our guys would have done more last night to help Bob.)

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Lets try it like...

Panarin - Dubois - Anderson
Foligno - Wennberg - Atkinson/Bjorkstrand
Jenner - Dubinsky - Atkinson/Bjorkstrand
Motte - Sedlak - Calvert

Milano back to Cleveland to find his game.

Please Torts!!

Reactions: Byrral

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Lets try it like...

Panarin - Dubois - Anderson
Foligno - Wennberg - Atkinson/Bjorkstrand
Jenner - Dubinsky - Atkinson/Bjorkstrand
Motte - Sedlak - Calvert

Milano back to Cleveland to find his game.

Please Torts!!

Considering that we’ve pretty much rolled every single line possible already in this not even halfway over with season, I’m pretty sure we’ve already rolled out these lines.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->