GDT: Game 27: Capitals @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ+ - Annoyed I had to remake my graphic edition

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Well, a year and a half in to the Tocchet Rocket era I'm beginning to believe that he knows what he's doing, even in a loss. He took Ovechkin out of the game. (and I don't want to hear about that empty netter. ). It's ok that we lost. We aren't going to win every game and I agree with Tocchet that the team had plenty of chances to win. I also believe that our supporting cast, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line, are finally punching up to their weight class. Now if the Chucky-Chicken Fat-Babyface line can play just a little bit better we just might get into the playoffs.

Reactions: Edenjung

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Capitals have more talent, play tougher and worked equally hard - that wasn’t likely to go our way. Puck luck wasn’t going our way either. Oh well, sometimes you play a decent game and lose. Not the worst loss they have had this season.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
With Raanta on the Shelf ( I may need to do an elf on the shelf joke GDT) we have Kuemper still with a mystery injury as well.

So looking ahead at the upcoming games we've got:
Sharks Saturday, so Hill almost certainly starts this one.
Boston Tuesday, At the rate things are going I'm assuming Hill again.

Then the big dilemma is Buffalo/New York back to back.
If Kuemper is ready, go with Hill again then Kuemper against the Rangers to give him an extra day.

If Kuemper is not ready throw Pickard to the wolves against Buffalo and then Hill against the Rangers to give him an extra day off.

Then there's basically no let up till Christmas.
I'm a little worried about potentially running Hill into the ground, the AHL schedule is quite a bit different than the NHL one.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
The radio feed suggested the GWG was off Connauton's blade. I watched the game replay and it's hard to confirm. The whole Coyotes team looked like ass on that play.

I didn't make it to a TV until the final 2 minutes. I was very disappointed with OEL's defensive play when they went 6 x 5...but not surprised.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
good game for us.
sad that the streak has ended.
but okay thats how it is.
the next game will be one we can win. the Sharks are like us, inconsistent but defeatable.
So go yotes go :D

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
With Raanta on the Shelf ( I may need to do an elf on the shelf joke GDT) we have Kuemper still with a mystery injury as well.

So looking ahead at the upcoming games we've got:
Sharks Saturday, so Hill almost certainly starts this one.
Boston Tuesday, At the rate things are going I'm assuming Hill again.

Then the big dilemma is Buffalo/New York back to back.
If Kuemper is ready, go with Hill again then Kuemper against the Rangers to give him an extra day.

If Kuemper is not ready throw Pickard to the wolves against Buffalo and then Hill against the Rangers to give him an extra day off.

Then there's basically no let up till Christmas.
I'm a little worried about potentially running Hill into the ground, the AHL schedule is quite a bit different than the NHL one.
If Raanta is out long term we are done, again. We don't have a NHL calibre starting goalie. We rode the Hill momentum train, probably won't happen again.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That was one of the more entertaining games I have attended in a few seasons. The fact that this team plays an upbeat fast paced game is enough to get me back more than past seasons. Also the individual skill level with the puck is greater than I have watched in years. Only my 2nd game this year.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Another good game against the Caps makes me more convinced this team would not look out of place in the playoffs. Not less convinced.

Still in the hunt.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Frustrating game because we blew two leads, but nearly beating the SC champs twice in the same season, and even skating with them, is some great progress.

Hill should've had the winner but I think it also went off of KConn's skate so he's not entirely at fault.

Can't really fault Panik. He's not capable of what we need out of him, but if he buried a couple of his chances (especially the one where he passed back to Cousins), we win that game. Upgrading on Panik would be huge.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Frustrating game because we blew two leads, but nearly beating the SC champs twice in the same season, and even skating with them, is some great progress.

Hill should've had the winner but I think it also went off of KConn's skate so he's not entirely at fault.

Can't really fault Panik. He's not capable of what we need out of him, but if he buried a couple of his chances (especially the one where he passed back to Cousins), we win that game. Upgrading on Panik would be huge.

Yeah, people keep on complaining about Panik... Yeah, there are only two forwards currently playing with the Yotes being higher paid... Move him to the Penguins, and he would be, like, number eight on their list.

People expect him to play like a superstar. But he is a middle-guy.

I am as sad as the rest of you seing him not score of course. But he is not as bad as some make him IMHO.

Deflected goals can't be blamed on the goalie. Hill is still "the best goalie in the league" - for the moment.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

We were shooting wide of the net all night by a number of players. Had poor shot selection on the PP.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Im not blaming Panik at all, I just think he blows. He is playing in a spot he should not be playing and any player we could get to replace him with even a little more offensive upside would be worth it.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Tough to lose that one because it felt like an unearned win by Washington. That happens, though. Bad bounces go against you sometimes. It was entertaining to watch, at least. I hope the Yotes keep the positive momentum going and have a good game against San Jose.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Good game. Solid effort.
Washington played a good regular season game. They have skill and grit. In the playoffs when GRIT gets elevated a team like the Caps would smoke this group of powder puffs that we have. Just a fact.
But I like how we played last night in terms of what we're capable of . Love guys like Crouse and his linemates. You need some sandpaper on your team.
the line of Keller, chucky and Schwartz is a highly skilled line but I'd replace chucky on there and put some physical presence on the line, maybe even Crouse. Right now Chucky is not even close to what Domi brought to this team. He's a floater and he's not even that skilled. It's early on and sometimes it takes time to adjust to a team so we'll see but early returns are not good.
At least we are seeing progress. No surprise Raanta is out again on the IR. He's as weak as a kitten and I thought he worked on his core over the summer. He's going to be unreliable in his career. All these injuries are not coincidental. a guy like Hill will run out of steam as the year goes on but we'll see maybe not,

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
This game felt kind of like last year if we played so well in the first 2 (I only got to watch the 3rd). I think someone needs to remind the team that hockey games are 60 minutes long. Last season we played extremely well for most of the game (~50 minutes or so) but lost anyway because of how absolutely piss poor we were for the other 10. In out opener at Dallas in October, we actually played pretty damn good hockey (despite not scoring) for literally 58 1/2 minutes and lost 3-0 because of a 90-second stretch of being absolute shit.

Reactions: johnchayka89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad