GDT: Game 26: Coyotes @ Kings - 8:30 PM - FS-A PLUS (12/4)

What are your favorite places to shop for gifts?

• Total voters

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm starting to think good goal tending is a result of our D play. Poor D play at the start of last year killed us and any goal tender. Late last year Raanata was good, kuemper/Raanta have been good in spurts this year, now Hill. I wonder how much of it is good team D? We generally aren't getting out played.
Or is our good D a result of good goal tending? Goal tending can hid a lot of bad play and last night we had terrible possession and the Kings had way more scoring chances. We are talking about the LAST place Kings here. I think Hill has played better than most thought. Happy for the kid.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
Oesterle should have sat this game in favor of Bush. Oesterle is a train wreck in our end and can't pass worth a s---. He can skate with the puck when he has room and does a good job, but when he is pressured in our end is another story.
I lost track of how many times he iced it under pressure.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
For the defense, it is the difference in staying with your assignment. Our major issue last year is that players were either reverting to what they knew from the old system, or saying, "f*** it, we need the puck back." and going out of their way to try and gain possession again, which had led to a lot of very bad scoring chances against. Now that we are staying within the system a little more, we can at least pin it back to a single blown assignment, as opposed to, "player X did this, which meant player Y got caught in a situation where they had to do this, and that left player Z on the opposite side of the ice..."

It's a trickle-down effect, but I think that the goalies playing better are b/c the team is sticking together defensively, in addition to providing a solid PK. I can't say whether or not I am making a true statement here, but when the PK is bad, it has an effect on goalies, b/c they put so much internal pressure on themselves to be that rock during 5-on-5. With our PK performing the way that it is, the goalies can ratchet up their focus on the PK even more, and 5-on-5 pressure becomes far lower to deal with.

Reactions: cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Oesterle should have sat this game in favor of Bush. Oesterle is a train wreck in our end and can't pass worth a s---. He can skate with the puck when he has room and does a good job, but when he is pressured in our end is another story.
2-1 victory, he wasn't that bad.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Oesterle struggles with the heavy teams...which are what the Kings are. Need speed put in Oesterle, need muscle, put in Lyubuskin

Yes, you can tell that he gets a little panicked when the space is tight and someone is closing in on him. He can break out of that though - I think he just needs a little more time in the weight room to gain muscle, but he thinks the game just fine. Only issue comes from when he is pressured heavily.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Or is our good D a result of good goal tending? Goal tending can hid a lot of bad play and last night we had terrible possession and the Kings had way more scoring chances. We are talking about the LAST place Kings here. I think Hill has played better than most thought. Happy for the kid.
The Kings that have been without Quick until last game, that shut out Carolina the previous game. We have had 3 different goal tenders look great this year, I think our team D is better than they get credit for.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Kings looked big and slow, but with talent. Kinda the opposite of the Coyotes - small and fast, with players that try hard.

When the Coyotes are playing like this, I imagine that the other teams are as much annoyed as anything. Like trying to read a book with a smoke alarm going off.

B level talent that counts on bringing it every game isn’t ideal, but it is ours. It is at least fun to watch and seems to be working (generally). It falls apart really fast if their legs stop moving.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Man, just watched, unspoiled.

I'm a nerve-wreck now. Let's see if that's what's this GDT is saying, too.

:laugh:

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Yep, we are good a man down.

With 8 goals against, and 11 shorties, the team is still +3 on PK.

That should give a PK% of over 100 percent.

It can't be just me thinking they should add in shorties in the PK%? Then it is possible to go over 100% on the PK. It is also possible to go negative on PP...

Oh, and I get the impression you guys was not entirely as shaky as me here. Might be wrong. But I was really shaking the last half of so this game, was convinced it was a loss coming.

But it ended great! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->