GDT: Game 25: Oilers @ Coyotes - 6PM - FSAZ - Tippetting!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Oilers goalie played well last night, we had some great chances, all teams need good goal tending to win. Our team D has more to do with it then you give them credit for.
DT said they had a "playoff type game" against Vegas the night before, and this game they were just hanging on hoping for the best. I thought both teams played good with the role players on both teams getting involved.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Watching us hold on for 10 minutes of 3-on-3 OT vs. McDrai probably would have made my heart explode.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Watching us hold on for 10 minutes of 3-on-3 OT vs. McDrai probably would have made my heart explode.

Keller's inability to look like a top line player that can make good strong passes almost made my heart explode.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The Oilers are so reliant on Mcdrai, teams will eventually figure out how to slow them down and be better prepared for them. That point pace is the best since 95, the game is much faster now and team D is much better. Tip has devised a way to maximize them and play them huge minutes at the same time. Teams will figure them out, they might get over worked or nagging injuries. If the Oilers make it into the playoffs, teams will be very well prepped for them. We played the night before and did a decent job against those two.

I would rather have our better D (with hammer) and better goal tending, our chances to make and go further in the playoffs are better, IMHO of course.
:laugh:Just like teams found out a way to slow TGO, Lemieux, Crosby, and the list goes on. Holland will continue to surround those two with better role players to make the Oilers deeper and better. You do know that the Oilers played the night before also?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
:laugh:Just like teams found out a way to slow TGO, Lemieux, Crosby, and the list goes on. Holland will continue to surround those two with better role players to make the Oilers deeper and better. You do know that the Oilers played the night before also?
Different era, this sin't 20 or 30 years ago. Team D and caliber of players, your worst player, is way better then back in the day. This year, that team will fade on the backs of 2 players on one line. Tip will squeeze as much as he can out of them, and duct tape the rest. We made it to the WCF on Smiths back with a solid D core. Oilers won't get there this year the way they are constructed. On another note, how is Holland going to pay for the better role players?

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Although happy they got a point and kept up with the Oilers, I hated the way the Yotes won the draw at the beginning of OT, gain control of the puck - and then promptly give it away up the boards, which started them chasing the Oilers for 4 and a half minutes.
Draisatal and McDavid out there for almost the entire OT is embarassing - would make the rest of the team feel pretty worthless. Guess Tippett really wanted to beat his old team.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Although happy they got a point and kept up with the Oilers, I hated the way the Yotes won the draw at the beginning of OT, gain control of the puck - and then promptly give it away up the boards, which started them chasing the Oilers for 4 and a half minutes.
Draisatal and McDavid out there for almost the entire OT is embarassing - would make the rest of the team feel pretty worthless. Guess Tippett really wanted to beat his old team.
Just under 24 TOI avg for McDrai, far and away the most in the NHL by over a minute for forwards. They will get burnt out eventually, maybe injured, and become less effective.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Just under 24 TOI avg for McDrai, far and away the most in the NHL by over a minute for forwards. They will get burnt out eventually, maybe injured, and become less effective.
Unless Holland gets more depth, this will cause them to crash and burn in the playoffs or maybe before. I see a couple of 4 out of 5 loss streaks coming after the first of the year for them.

Reactions: cobra427

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Honestly, I was embarrassed for the Oilers and their fans when Tippett took that timeout to make sure that McDavid and Draisaitl wouldn't have to rest on the bench in OT. What kind of message does that send to the rest of the team?

May not be an issue this year but if this kind of thing keeps up, Tip's going to wear out his welcome (again).

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
My stats show Draisaitl at just under 23 minutes per game and McDavid just over 22 minutes per game. That is less than last year for McDavid and he rarely looks tired. He is different. It's a minute or so more per night than comparable centers on other teams, not worth getting concerned over imo.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Honestly, I was embarrassed for the Oilers and their fans when Tippett took that timeout to make sure that McDavid and Draisaitl wouldn't have to rest on the bench in OT. What kind of message does that send to the rest of the team?

May not be an issue this year but if this kind of thing keeps up, Tip's going to wear out his welcome (again).
He wants to win would be the message I would think. You think the other players who barely register points wonder why this is happening??

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
gain control of the puck - and then promptly give it away up the boards,

He played it like we were on the PK or still 5 on 5 and needed a line change. OT is all about puck possession....NEVER voluntarily turn it over. I yelled more during OT than the entire game.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Well, it wasn't the blowout-loss I was convinced it would be. Can hang around a good time on loser-points, actually. Even if I hope the next game will be a 2-pointer of course. :).

I still think time-outs should be banned in OT. Ruins the urgency. And makes a team play it's top line way to much. Unfair for the rest of their team. :sarcasm:.

Could someone please give me the time-stamp for that Oiler covering the puck in the crease-thing? Just curious about how it looked. Watched the start of the game before I went to work, but got up to late to make it all. And spoiled myself, convinced it was a loss, and just watched the OT and SO even if I knew how it would end by the time I watched it.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Haven't been a fan of how these recent games have been played by the Yotes. I'll take the 3 out of 4 points but I'd much prefer the overall play to get much better.

Sloppy mistakes were all over the place (like that OT situation just giving the Oilers the puck for some stupid reason). Reacting a lot during the plays instead of driving the play. There are times the Yotes get it going but it hasn't been sustained much recently. Earlier in the season was the opposite more often than not (in my eyes).

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Haven't been a fan of how these recent games have been played by the Yotes. I'll take the 3 out of 4 points but I'd much prefer the overall play to get much better.

Sloppy mistakes were all over the place (like that OT situation just giving the Oilers the puck for some stupid reason). Reacting a lot during the plays instead of driving the play. There are times the Yotes get it going but it hasn't been sustained much recently. Earlier in the season was the opposite more often than not (in my eyes).
The most mind-boggling part of the overtime is Toc put out Grabner/Richie to start in case they lose the draw, and when they won the draw the forwards immediately swapped for Kessel/Schmaltz only to watch them have to play defense for 2 minutes because Goligoski skated straight at McDavid and then launched the puck to center ice for no apparent reason.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Eh. Fischers holding on McDavid does seem a bit over the top though. :naughty:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My stats show Draisaitl at just under 23 minutes per game and McDavid just over 22 minutes per game. That is less than last year for McDavid and he rarely looks tired. He is different. It's a minute or so more per night than comparable centers on other teams, not worth getting concerned over imo.
And the Coyotes over the hill 1C gets 19 TOI/game. It's no biggie.

He wants to win would be the message I would think. You think the other players who barely register points wonder why this is happening??
Exactly.

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010

I agree but you gotta think the ridiculous November schedule has something to do with it. That said I’m happy taking some points.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Holy shit there's some insane mainboard thread about Tocchet openly praising "home cooking" refereeing because a few people don't know what protect the house means, I'm dying :laugh:

You could think the reffing was the biggest travesty since Vegas/SJ game 7 and that thread would still be looney toons.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Holy **** there's some insane mainboard thread about Tocchet openly praising "home cooking" refereeing because a few people don't know what protect the house means, I'm dying :laugh:

You could think the reffing was the biggest travesty since Vegas/SJ game 7 and that thread would still be looney toons.

You read that too, eh?

The OP really dug down deep for a grassy knoll interpretation of what Tocchet said.

I swear Oiler fans think interference should be called if a guy just makes faces at McDavid from clear across the ice. :laugh:

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
The Oilers are good for a change and suddently their fanbase (on HF) becomes super obnoxious.

You'd think after so many years of being the laughing stock franchise of the league, Edmonton fans would at least have the tiniest amount of humility once it started to turn around. Nope, they've immediately turned into egotistical dick heads who act like they've been this good forever. Yikes.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I hate all lame excuses and crying. Same with embellishment/diving. I think all that stuff should be fined by the NHL. Even if it gets called on the ice, when the NHL looks at the reply, if the guy takes a dive, he should get a fine. If the call was bad enough to complain about, complain and take the fine. I'm pretty sure that part is already in place which is why you don't hear coaches and players complain about officiating unless it's REALLY bad which is the way it should be. Fans complaining about the refs will always be around unfortunately. Hopefully, like Sniper said, it won't creep into our board or at least get out of hand. I'd have to stop reading stuff here if it did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad