GDT: Game #25 of the season Islanders visit Ducks 10:00 PM ET on 11 - 25 - 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Watching the Islanders broadcast last night and I rarely do of course, they had a lot of positives to say about Anaheim, this was before they went up 3-0. It felt like a very unbiased broadcast and they were saying in the beginning that Anaheim has had their struggles and in some way saying they are better than this. You didn’t feel it was going to be an easy win for the islanders. I’ve been through some painful homer broadcasts. I mean pretty much any broadcast involving Milbury lol.

Also gave a lot of props to Getzlaf who they were taking about how he called out his team and that he looked like the best player on the ice and setting an example.

I usually don’t complement away broadcasts lol.

JonathnTaylorTavares

Feb 4, 2019
Watching the Islanders broadcast last night and I rarely do of course, they had a lot of positives to say about Anaheim, this was before they went up 3-0. It felt like a very unbiased broadcast and they were saying in the beginning that Anaheim has had their struggles and in some way saying they are better than this. You didn’t feel it was going to be an easy win for the islanders. I’ve been through some painful homer broadcasts. I mean pretty much any broadcast involving Milbury lol.

Also gave a lot of props to Getzlaf who they were taking about how he called out his team and that he looked like the best player on the ice and setting an example.

I usually don’t complement away broadcasts lol.
I noticed the same thing with the Tampa broadcast. They were actually rather pleasant and complimentary (especially of Getzlaf) Prob cause these teams don’t see a lot of ducks hockey

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I noticed the same thing with the Tampa broadcast. They were actually rather pleasant and complimentary (especially of Getzlaf) Prob cause these teams don’t see a lot of ducks hockey

I’ve watched a lot of Tampa games over the years, have a 2nd residence down there about 45 mins south of Tampa and the whole TB Rangers era. So have caught a number of games down there. I like their broadcast. I heard though Rick Peckham is retiring this year?

Was actually supposed to go to the game Saturday but had to stay in NY for work.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I’ve watched a lot of Tampa games over the years, have a 2nd residence down there about 45 mins south of Tampa and the whole TB Rangers era. So have caught a number of games down there. I like their broadcast. I heard though Rick Peckham is retiring this year?

Was actually supposed to go to the game Saturday but had to stay in NY for work.
Yes, he is unfortunately retiring. One of the best PxP guys around along with Joe Beninati IMO

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
The guys who do the Caps TV are easy on the ears as well.
Beninati and Laughlin are both really good and have great chemistry. They are also knowledgeable and complimentary of the Caps opponent each night and seemed to know quite a bit about the Ducks last week, including some things I didn't know myself. They also aren't afraid to be pretty critical of the Caps when it's warranted.

Interesting relationship between Lightning and Capitals booth actually (two of the very best in the league imo) - Brian Engblom and Craig Laughlin were both involved in the same trade way back when

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Beninati and Laughlin are both really good and have great chemistry. They are also knowledgeable and complimentary of the Caps opponent each night and seemed to know quite a bit about the Ducks last week, including some things I didn't know myself. They also aren't afraid to be pretty critical of the Caps when it's warranted.

Interesting relationship between Lightning and Capitals booth actually (two of the very best in the league imo) - Brian Engblom and Craig Laughlin were both involved in the same trade way back when
I'm not sure how I stumbled on to the Caps broadcast but I've watched them for a few years now when the Ducks play them. What you describe is pretty much my take albeit in a much more limited sample size. Top notch crew.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I really like Guds paired with Fowler. Every pairing with Fowler so far this year just cannot cover defensively for how weak Fowler is on the defensive end. Guds with Lindholm is a great pairing, but we still haven't found a great pairing with Fowler (although, MDZ is a decent pairing). Lindholm can carry weaker defense partners, but Fowler can't. This recent move seems to have paid dividends.

Guds is a physical, stay-at-home defenseman who can clear out the middle. Fowler is a weak, finesse offensive puck-carrying defenseman. Now, whoever is paired with Fowler doesn't get that pairing hemmed in. It's a very good pair and helps out the Ducks in the future when Manson returns because we have a set second pairing d-men group.

The bad is that Lindholm has to carry the leftover talent to be paired with him. Holzer is not a top pairing defenseman, though, he is the only true right shooting RHD. That leaves a plethora of left shooting defenseman to play RD next to Lindholm at top pairing: MDZ, Guhle, and Larsson. While not ideal, it does protect Fowler as it keeps him as a 2nd pairing defenseman. Right now, both Larsson and Guhle are fringe level NHL defensemen that are still trying to find their game at the NHL level.

Anaheim doesn't possess a true RHD defense prospect, unless you consider Jani Hakanpaa a prospect at age 27. I don't know if we're training any young defense to play RD who shoot left, but Larsson's struggled.

I think we might see MDZ paired with Lindholm for the next game... b/c you know, rotation makes the group happy, but hopefully an improvement over Larsson.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I really like Guds paired with Fowler. Every pairing with Fowler so far this year just cannot cover defensively for how weak Fowler is on the defensive end. Guds with Lindholm is a great pairing, but we still haven't found a great pairing with Fowler (although, MDZ is a decent pairing). Lindholm can carry weaker defense partners, but Fowler can't. This recent move seems to have paid dividends.
Fowler was playing his offside pretty much all the season before being paired with Gudbranson, that might explain some of his defense. Stylistically also they are a good match but come on, Fowlers partners is basically a revolving door of fringe AHLers plus he had to play on the right side.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Guds is a physical, stay-at-home defenseman who can clear out the middle. Fowler is a weak, finesse offensive puck-carrying defenseman. Now, whoever is paired with Fowler doesn't get that pairing hemmed in. It's a very good pair and helps out the Ducks in the future when Manson returns because we have a set second pairing d-men group.

The bad is that Lindholm has to carry the leftover talent to be paired with him. Holzer is not a top pairing defenseman, though, he is the only true right shooting RHD. That leaves a plethora of left shooting defenseman to play RD next to Lindholm at top pairing: MDZ, Guhle, and Larsson. While not ideal, it does protect Fowler as it keeps him as a 2nd pairing defenseman. Right now, both Larsson and Guhle are fringe level NHL defensemen that are still trying to find their game at the NHL level.

Anaheim doesn't possess a true RHD defense prospect, unless you consider Jani Hakanpaa a prospect at age 27. I don't know if we're training any young defense to play RD who shoot left, but Larsson's struggled.

I think we might see MDZ paired with Lindholm for the next game... b/c you know, rotation makes the group happy, but hopefully an improvement over Larsson.
The problem is we basically have Lindholm/Fowler who are top 4 nhl dmen(with Manson out), guds is a top 6 guy.. but maybe can end up a good complimentary top 4 guy.

I think letting Guds + Fowler play together and hopefully gain chemistry is the best option, manson will play with Lindholm when he gets back so we might as well work on our 2nd pairing... if guds + fowler works then our top 4 doesn't look so bad. Just give some of Lindholms tougher mins to the fowler/guds pairing to make up for Lindholm having to play with Holzer/mdz etc.

Its easier to put lesser players with fowler(than Lindholm) because fowlers deployment is a lot "easier" than the mins youll get on lindholms pairing. Its been an issue for along time finding the right person for the top 4.. and at the rate BM is going fowler will retire before we find him a partner again(hoping guds and him work out)

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA

Craig Laughlin is all over the DMV area, and I hate hearing his voice. it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. Good dude for sure, but damn does the phrase "YA GOTTA RISK IT TO GET THE BISKIT" bother me so, so much and that's his phavorite phrase.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The problem is we basically have Lindholm/Fowler who are top 4 nhl dmen(with Manson out), guds is a top 6 guy.. but maybe can end up a good complimentary top 4 guy.

I think letting Guds + Fowler play together and hopefully gain chemistry is the best option, manson will play with Lindholm when he gets back so we might as well work on our 2nd pairing... if guds + fowler works then our top 4 doesn't look so bad. Just give some of Lindholms tougher mins to the fowler/guds pairing to make up for Lindholm having to play with Holzer/mdz etc.

Its easier to put lesser players with fowler(than Lindholm) because fowlers deployment is a lot "easier" than the mins youll get on lindholms pairing. Its been an issue for along time finding the right person for the top 4.. and at the rate BM is going fowler will retire before we find him a partner again(hoping guds and him work out)

Gudzilla >> Larsson. The team paired Gudzilla with Fowler. Yes, putting lesser talent with Fowler should be easier because Fowler isn't a top pairing defenseman, provided Fowler is the 2nd pairing. Recall, both Lindholm-Manson have been out on injuries that forced Fowler to be a top pairing defenseman for 7 games. In this last game, Fowler was paired with the best defenseman after the top-2 (Lindholm, Fowler). The team did that because Fowler is that weak defensively. Lindholm can carry a weak defenseman better than Fowler.

If we used the line of thinking that Fowler's second pairing is easier, then why demote Gudzilla from the top line with Lindholm?

I think Guds has been better than advertised, which was a 7th defenseman from Pit. LoL

Erik Gudbranson
TeamGamesGAPPlus/Minus
Pit70000
Ana141235
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Often, I have been pegging Gud as the bottom pairing defenseman, which would bench Holzer. But with this recent development with Fowler, as well as putting Fowler back onto his shooting side, I've quickly bought into Guds as the 2nd pairing defenseman. We play a simple game and it fits Guds that much better. Guds' defensive game and strength allows Fowler to be Fowler offensively, now that we know that Fowler isn't a top pairing defenseman. Gudzilla is Fowler's body guard! ha

Reactions: Dirk316

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Craig Laughlin is all over the DMV area, and I hate hearing his voice. it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. Good dude for sure, but damn does the phrase "YA GOTTA RISK IT TO GET THE BISKIT" bother me so, so much and that's his phavorite phrase.
Pfft. It's no "Coast to Coast like buttered toast!"

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Gudzilla >> Larsson. The team paired Gudzilla with Fowler. Yes, putting lesser talent with Fowler should be easier because Fowler isn't a top pairing defenseman, provided Fowler is the 2nd pairing. Recall, both Lindholm-Manson have been out on injuries that forced Fowler to be a top pairing defenseman for 7 games. In this last game, Fowler was paired with the best defenseman after the top-2 (Lindholm, Fowler). The team did that because Fowler is that weak defensively. Lindholm can carry a weak defenseman better than Fowler.

If we used the line of thinking that Fowler's second pairing is easier, then why demote Gudzilla from the top line with Lindholm?

I think Guds has been better than advertised, which was a 7th defenseman from Pit. LoL

Erik Gudbranson
TeamGamesGAPPlus/Minus
Pit70000
Ana141235
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Often, I have been pegging Gud as the bottom pairing defenseman, which would bench Holzer. But with this recent development with Fowler, as well as putting Fowler back onto his shooting side, I've quickly bought into Guds as the 2nd pairing defenseman. We play a simple game and it fits Guds that much better. Guds' defensive game and strength allows Fowler to be Fowler offensively, now that we know that Fowler isn't a top pairing defenseman. Gudzilla is Fowler's body guard! ha
I thought Guds was better than advertised before we got him... I think hes just a player that need to play with better players to really get the most out of him(Vancouver played him with MDZ/Penguins played him with JJ ) but form my understanding he did good with other partners on both teams.

He kinda reminds me of despres stylistically a bit(little meaner imo), but that hopefully means him and fowler will work out well together.

Im confused what you mean by demote Guds? Manson when healthy will be lindholms partner... they've been great together for 3 years now. Without Manson... I still think we should let fowler and Guds form chemistry until Manson returns. Ideally we want Fowler/Guds to be good enough, that we don't really have to worry about the matchups/zone starts as much.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
His voice is definitely rather interesting.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Gads, I agree with Dirk again. The Ducks to have a physical element at times. But then the guy has to be able to play hockey as well as just be physical.

the last part is the caveat that didn’t satisfy most Ducks’ fans including myself. Boll, for example, simply wasn’t good at hockey when he got here. ND can skate and is actually quite good at hockey. I don’t think anyone negates the positive impact that a physical forward or defenseman can have, it’s just if they can’t play hockey then what’s the point?

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Deslauriers has definitely grown on me. He wasn’t particularly impressive early on, being weak in the d zone and just kind of *there* other than that. I don’t know whether it’s the fact that he’s adjusted to the system or his teammates, or just has more confidence now that he’s playing regularly... but he’s definitely a much improved player from what we saw at the beginning of the season.

Like the above poster said, there’s no comparison to Boll. And I find it hilarious when anyone tries to defend Boll as being anything other than a staged fighter who was a complete liability other than that. Deslauriers isn’t even remotely in the same mold. Guy can skate pretty well, has decent offensive instincts, and fairly good hands. He doesn’t have a scoring touch, but that’s nothing major for the role he’s being asked to play. He’s pretty similar to Rowney actually other than the fact that he fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad