GDT: Game 25 | Detroit Red Wings @ Columbus Blue Jackets | 2:00 PM EST | FS-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If they choose to bring him back, and especially if they go over $4m for him, we better hope you're right. Could have been an injury slowing him down, but he's always been a passive player who preferred to peel off on a break and look for someone/anyone to pass to instead of making a play or shooting. I'm far from convinced that his performance last year was really the player he is.

I guess I just disagree with most on the board then. Last year when I watched him he was the 3rd best guy with the puck after Datsyuk and Zetterberg. A lot of the time when he skated through the neutral zone and carried the puck into the zone I had to look at the # on the back of his jersey to see if it was D or Z, or if it was Fil. Last year he played the most agressive we have seen from him, and he made some beautiful plays with his skating and puck protection. And he was actually looking to shoot at times and taking pucks to the net.

This year I just think with the combination of playing on a new line, and never really getting fully healthy, I think he was struggling to adjust. The guy has the talent to replicate what he did last year, so that's the only reason I don't think it was a fluke. Unfortunately I do think he has to play on a pretty good line and have some chemsitry with his line to put up solid numbers. I'm not ready to give up on him, or say he is a 1 year wonder. He's 28 years old and he has plenty of natural ability and hockey sense. Guess we'll see.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I guess I just disagree with most on the board then. Last year when I watched him he was the 3rd best guy with the puck after Datsyuk and Zetterberg. A lot of the time when he skated through the neutral zone and carried the puck into the zone I had to look at the # on the back of his jersey to see if it was D or Z, or if it was Fil. Last year he played the most agressive we have seen from him, and he made some beautiful plays with his skating and puck protection. And he was actually looking to shoot at times and taking pucks to the net.

This year I just think with the combination of playing on a new line, and never really getting fully healthy, I think he was struggling to adjust. The guy has the talent to replicate what he did last year, so that's the only reason I don't think it was a fluke. Unfortunately I do think he has to play on a pretty good line and have some chemsitry with his line to put up solid numbers. I'm not ready to give up on him, or say he is a 1 year wonder. He's 28 years old and he has plenty of natural ability and hockey sense. Guess we'll see.

How many guys on the team have the talent to do stuff like this?

Last edited:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

:p:

I know what ya mean. In the past I've been a huge Flip fan. Always thinking "what if" with him. He's yet to put it all together to his full potential. That's why I'm hesitant to pay him over 4M a year. Cap is going down and Flip has yet to show that he could carry this team when the chips are down. If he was a 30 goal guy i'd be down. It's like betting on potential at this point.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
How many guys on the team have the talent to do stuff like this?

"An error occurred. Please try again later." The message Datsyuk receives every time he tries to involve 11 and 8 in an offensive play.

Regarding Flip, I just think he's a replaceable guy. I don't fault anyone for liking him as a player, but I'd much rather see a guy like Tatar take Flip's spot in the top 6- a guy with more fire in his game and more willing to go to the net. Plus, it'd be a cheap cap hit allowing for Kenny to spend more on a quality UFA or trade acquisition. Which admittedly is most likely wishful thinking on my part.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
"An error occurred. Please try again later." The message Datsyuk receives every time he tries to involve 11 and 8 in an offensive play.

Regarding Flip, I just think he's a replaceable guy. I don't fault anyone for liking him as a player, but I'd much rather see a guy like Tatar take Flip's spot in the top 6- a guy with more fire in his game and more willing to go to the net. Plus, it'd be a cheap cap hit allowing for Kenny to spend more on a quality UFA or trade acquisition. Which admittedly is most likely wishful thinking on my part.

eh. I disagree again. Don't think Filppula is easily replacable at all. When we have talent in the top 6 he is one of the best puck possession players we have. I love Tatar so far, but if I had to pick Fil at 100% to play in the top 6 or Tatar, I'm picking Fil all day. People have a short-term memory on here. Fil made plays last year Tatar couldn't dream of doing right now.

Ideally though a line with Fil and Tatar on the wings could be great, then you have a shooter and a set-up guy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Fixed the link btw, even though I guess it's too late.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Jackets fan, here in peace. I had originally thought that Prospal was pointing at the replay on the jumbotron, but later found out that he was taunting a Wings player. I don't like that one bit, but keep in mind that Vinny is a very emotional player.

Coach said this:

"I didn't like it," Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards said. "I addressed the team after the game and told them I didn't like it. We're not about that. It's not a respectful thing to do."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/blue-jackets-continue-dominant-ways-225022509--nhl.html

Glad we both got into the East. Should be fun.

Last edited:

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
eh. I disagree again. Don't think Filppula is easily replacable at all. When we have talent in the top 6 he is one of the best puck possession players we have. I love Tatar so far, but if I had to pick Fil at 100% to play in the top 6 or Tatar, I'm picking Fil all day. People have a short-term memory on here. Fil made plays last year Tatar couldn't dream of doing right now.

When healthy, Flip is the better player today. But I think Tatar brings an aggressiveness to the ice that is the direct opposite of Flip's passivity. He's a shooter who goes to the net and Flip prefers to stay on the perimeter and defer to teammates. Flip has had some offensive flashes, but I still think last year was an aberration instead of some new plateau he's reached.

Totally agree that Flip is a good puck possession guy, but I'd MUCH rather use his cap space for the next few years on a guy who brings a different dimension of size and/or grit in addition to points in the top 6. We have a lot of prospects on the way up who play a similar game to Flip, and I think locking him up to a long term deal (b/c Kenny loves to give out long terms to guys he drafted) just cements a guy in the top 6 who can be replaced more cheaply by a number of guys either here or knocking on the door. I'd love to see what the top 6 could look like next season if Bert goes on LTIR and Flip signs elsewhere.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Jackets fan, here in peace. I had originally thought that Prospal was pointing at the replay on the jumbotron, but later found out that he was taunting a Wings player. I don't like that one bit, but keep in mind that Vinny is a very emotional player.

Coach said this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/blue-jackets-continue-dominant-ways-225022509--nhl.html

Gals we both got into the East. Should be fun.

Really? Try making the playoffs and actually winning a series before you come on here and call us gals. I have no ill wishes toward your team and I wish the best for it. But don't come here and say stuff like that bro.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Coach said this:

Gals we both got into the East. Should be fun.

I don't blame Prospal at all. Abdelkader was cross checking him repeatedly during and after the play. So I guess Justin's impact was getting Prospal to take a misconduct penalty... so THAT'S why he's still on the 2nd line! All kinds of intangibles and things that don't show up on the score sheet...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
When healthy, Flip is the better player today. But I think Tatar brings an aggressiveness to the ice that is the direct opposite of Flip's passivity. He's a shooter who goes to the net and Flip prefers to stay on the perimeter and defer to teammates. Flip has had some offensive flashes, but I still think last year was an aberration instead of some new plateau he's reached.

Totally agree that Flip is a good puck possession guy, but I'd MUCH rather use his cap space for the next few years on a guy who brings a different dimension of size and/or grit in addition to points in the top 6. We have a lot of prospects on the way up who play a similar game to Flip, and I think locking him up to a long term deal (b/c Kenny loves to give out long terms to guys he drafted) just cements a guy in the top 6 who can be replaced more cheaply by a number of guys either here or knocking on the door. I'd love to see what the top 6 could look like next season if Bert goes on LTIR and Flip signs elsewhere.

Ideally I understand what you are getting at. But top 6 players that add size/grit are not easy to come by via free agency or trade. We also aren't the most aggressive team in either avenue. I mean it depends on Flip's asking price, but assuming he could be had for a decent price I'd definitely keep him around. If you can have a guy like Fil in your top 6 and then have Tatar on your 3rd line then you are probably running 3 pretty good scoring lines.

we like our team*

Really? Try making the playoffs and actually winning a series before you come on here and call us gals. I have no ill wishes toward your team and I wish the best for it. But don't come here and say stuff like that bro.

ya bro!!!!

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010

He probably meant GLAD, brah.

CloneHakanPlease*

Oh just ****. Get over it and yourself. He/she meant no offense with it. Your reaction says a lot more about you than him.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Oh just ****. Get over it and yourself. He/she meant no offense with it. Your reaction says a lot more about you than him.

No way. At this point, I'm hoping he did mean "Gals"... vladdy is all fired up and about to pull a Prospal by picking up the misconduct here :laugh: This is the internet forum version of a hockey game where a team is being beaten soundly (use today's game as an example) and uses almost anything as a perceived offense and excuse to stir **** up.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Sometimes you gotta drop the gloves to GALvanize the team. Vladdy was just being our enforcer. I salute him for showing heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad