Post-Game Talk: GAME #25 - Canucks @ Blue Jackets

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
What do you guys think the defensive pairings should be when Bieksa gets healthy?

At this point, I would like to see Garrison and Hamhuis get an extended look together. I think these two provide the team with the best opportunity for a "shut down pairing" in the playoffs.

We could try:

Hamhuis/Garrison

Bieksa/Tanev

Edler/Scrub (play these guys as little as possible)

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I also like Garrison and Hamhuis, but that means one of two things

1) We will have Edler and Bieksa together, which is pretty scary despite them having some success in the past if my memory serves me right
2) Edler/Bieksa on the third pairing which imo will never happen, Would obviously be Tanev coming up to probably be paired with Edler

I think we will probably go with
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler Garrison
Ballard Tanev

2 pairings that have been solid in the past and I have faith in Edler Garrison becoming a great pair

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Tanev
Ballard/Alberts/Barker - Bieksa

If we're going by their play this season, that's how it should shake out. Bieksa, outside of his goalscoring, hasn't played at a level where he deserves to be in the Top 4.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
Garrison and Tanev have been the team's best defensemen for an extended stretch now. Garrison doesn't get the props he deserves. He's settled in really nicely. He's reliable, and he now is on a 13 goal/82 game season pace, which I'm sure all of us would've taken. I have no issue with the contract we gave him if he's the guy that we've had the past 3 weeks or so. Tanev is just a stud defensively. He's one of the smartest players on the team. Always makes the right play.

Looks like the Sedins are absolutely carrying Burrows right now. Don't know what's wrong, but he looks really bad while the Sedins look good.

Higgins has been a beast.

Booth's effort can't be questioned, but he needs to start scoring. Hopefully once he pots one the flood gates open because he's playing really well, just not getting rewarded. If every player on the team put in similar efforts to what Booth has been giving, we wouldn't be struggling like we are.

Luongo was on top of his game tonight. Run with him for awhile.

Edler was better tonight, but still not good enough. Baby steps, I suppose.

Lapierre is horrible. Worst player on the team not named Alberts horrible. Don't know what's wrong with him.

We need a center so ridiculously badly. Even when Kesler is healthy, we're thin at C.

All in all, a decent effort tonight. Has to feel good to get the monkey off the back, but still can't win games in regulation!

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Tanev

If we're going by their play this season, that's how it should shake out. Bieksa, outside of his goalscoring, hasn't played at a level where he deserves to be in the Top 4.

I would be inclined to agree, especially on Bieksa playing like crap this season, I just dont see us putting him on the second pairing. Would be happy with your proposed pairings though. Assuming that Hamhuis-Garrison get matched up against top lines (with Kesler's line?) and Edler-Tanev get the Sedin match up

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
What do you guys think the defensive pairings should be when Bieksa gets healthy?

At this point, I would like to see Garrison and Hamhuis get an extended look together. I think these two provide the team with the best opportunity for a "shut down pairing" in the playoffs.

Yeah, I agree. I always felt that Bieksa never really fit that role (he's carried). When he's aggressive, sure, but his stupidity (lack for a better word) usually takes over. Unfortunately, however, the other pairings would likely suffer (can't have Edler/Bieksa; that is just a disaster waiting to happen). I guess we could put Bieksa on the 3rd pairing.

Garrison deserves to be in the top 4 at this point.

thegutter

May 22, 2011
edler definitly played alot better tonight, barker was good for what he is, luongo had a good game. i agree with the 4th line, definitly sub par preformance from them. Also who has more shots blocked so far edler or burrows? Every shot they seem to take is into someones shin pads or tipped out by a stick. I thought they played a decent game overall except for the first 10 of the 3rd period.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Hamhuis-Garrsion-BC pairing
Edler Tanev-young D pairing
Ballard Bieska-KB pairing

I think this should be the D pairing look solid

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I would be inclined to agree, especially on Bieksa playing like crap this season, I just dont see us putting him on the second pairing. Would be happy with your proposed pairings though. Assuming that Hamhuis-Garrison get matched up against top lines (with Kesler's line?) and Edler-Tanev get the Sedin match up

Basically have both those pairings play comparable shutdown minutes (maybe lean towards tougher minutes for Hamhuis - Garrison) and then have the third pairing mop up easy minutes + some Sedin offensive zone starts. Could be something comparable to what we did when Ehrhoff first got here and played on the 3rd unit at ES.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012

1) We will have Edler and Bieksa together, which is pretty scary despite them having some success in the past if my memory serves me right
2) Edler/Bieksa on the third pairing which imo will never happen, Would obviously be Tanev coming up to probably be paired with Edler

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler Garrison
Ballard Tanev

2 pairings that have been solid in the past and I have faith in Edler Garrison becoming a great pair

I agree that AV will probably go with the combinations that you proposed, but I do not think that is the right decision.

Garrison and Tanev have been our best D-men so far this season. They have earned top four ice time. Plus, I would like to see Bieksa or Edler on the third pairing for a few games. It would provide a nice wake up call for whichever one of the two gets demoted, because both guys have been far too complacent this year.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Tanev

with both hamhuis and garrison finding their game, i'm sure we can find a partner for bieksa that will bring out his inner defenceman

edit: i like tanev but i think he's proven this year he's not quite ready for the Big Matchups

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Basically have both those pairings play comparable shutdown minutes (maybe lean towards tougher minutes for Hamhuis - Garrison) and then have the third pairing mop up easy minutes + some Sedin offensive zone starts. Could be something comparable to what we did when Ehrhoff first got here and played on the 3rd unit at ES.

agreed with everything you said except for putting Ballard as a defender interchangeable with Barker and Alberts, there is just no way, I dont think thats what you intended to do though

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I agree that AV will probably go with the combinations that you proposed, but I do not think that is the right decision.

Garrison and Tanev have been our best D-men so far this season. They have earned top four ice time. Plus, I would like to see Bieksa or Edler on the third pairing for a few games. It would provide a nice wake up call for whichever one of the two gets demoted, because both guys have been far too complacent this year.

At least Edler has the excuse of being asked to play tough minutes. Bieksa doesn't even have that going for him. Just piss poor all year.

agreed with everything you said except for putting Ballard as a defender interchangeable with Barker and Alberts, there is just no way, I dont think thats what you intended to do though

Just predicting what AV will do. I obviously think Ballard is better, but AV...

edit: i like tanev but i think he's proven this year he's not quite ready for the Big Matchups

I dunno, he's getting there. Makes mistakes like he did today but not that many. I think they should challenge him and see if he can do it.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
with both hamhuis and garrison finding their game, i'm sure we can find a partner for bieksa that will bring out his inner defenceman

what? Although I dont think he has reached a Hamhuis/Garrison level, he is definitely on his way imo

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
ahh that is true, but I doubt AV puts Bieksa on the third pairing, no mater how much we plead for it

If you're keeping Hamhuis - Garrison together, there's not much else that can be done. We know Edler - Bieksa don't work together. He's not going to use his only two RD on the same pairing and he won't play Ballard in Top 4. What's left? ;)

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If you're keeping Hamhuis - Garrison together, there's not much else that can be done. We know Edler - Bieksa don't work together. He's not going to use his only two RD on the same pairing and he won't play Ballard in Top 4. What's left? ;)

I have a feeling AV wont keep Hamhuis and Garrison together unfortunately, hope to be proven wrong though

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

he struggles to remain a positive influence once he goes up against top lines. if you always have him in the top 4 (as opposed to spot duty), you're going to get a lot of very iffy to bad games from him

like you wont have too many instances of him just causing edler/bieksa level chaos, but he also doesn't have the capability to be edler/bieksa level positive impactful against top line players - yet

he's probably going to get there, i'm high as **** on the kid, but he still has a year to go before you go 'Yeah, get tanev in there, we need it' or whatever hockey people say

im all for challenging him, so yeah, those pairings look okay, but they probably won't last too long

edit: tanev is interesting to watch and read about because he's young, he's on a free contract practically and he looks really good against his level of competition, so i think people see better from him than he exhibits when it comes to difficult time. again, this isn't meant to be a knock on him - he's still young and he has good potential, but i think its still early

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler Garrison
Ballard Tanev

While I use to think the two were bloody awful. They did show some chemistry recently. Perhaps if we kept them together for more than a handful of shifts or the occasional game, it would stick. The one aspect of Bieksa's game that does compliment Edler is he can both shoot and setup, whereas Garrison is a bit too much a hybrid and not the setup man Edler needs.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
CanucksArmy did a chance breakdown. If you split it up by lines it's hysterical:

The chance data for the Canucks tonight, broken down by line combinations, is hilarious/depressing:

Sedins-Burrows: 3 for, 2 against
Raymond-Ebbett-Hansen: 0 for, 4 against
Booth-Higgins-Kassian: 1 for, 5 against
Sestito-Lapierre-Weise: 0 for, 3 against.

Our bottom 9 is so damn awful. Jebus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad