Post-Game Talk: GAME #25 - Canucks @ Blue Jackets

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
+ Luongo - Monster game. Not really much else to say. After tonight he definitely deserves a few consecutive starts.

+ Garrison - The guy has been the best D-man for the last couple of weeks. Not sure why he's so underrated. Great defensive game and definitely one of our more dangerous offensive D-men.

+ Kassian-Higgins-Booth - I thought this line looked pretty good all night, winning the battle along the boards and generating some good scoring chances. Hopefully AV keeps them together, because I think this is the teams best chance at a good third line.

- Alberts - The guy was a complete disaster out there again tonight. Not sure how AV can justify playing him over Ballard anymore, even by his twisted logic.

- The entire fourth line - Just an awful performance once again from this group, especially Lappiere. They are a huge liability right now. At this point, may as well see what steve pinizzotto brings to the table.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
There *was* huge upside.

Now he's the guy who couldn't hold on to the #1 spot.

Sadly this is the case. I do believe we could get a fairly solid return for him but more toward the Kassian arrangement, but in reverse. Hodgson was a risk for Buffalo due to underperforming and Schneider would be seen the same way. Gardiner from Toronto or Nino from Long Island may be feasible.

I am beginning to think we played this goalie debacle horribly, since Lu isn't going to command a big return and Schneider has been average. Now we almost have to wait and if one of the aforementioned is offered for Schneider? We damn well should be taking it. Lu's not bringing either back.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I really believe Alberts now is our 8th guy, Barker may struggle defensively, but can contribute offensively. Alberts is not good offensively and defensively

CookieCrumbs*

+ Luongo - Monster game. Not really much else to say. After tonight he definitely deserves a few consecutive starts.

+ Garrison - The guy has been the best D-man for the last couple of weeks. Not sure why he's so underrated. Great defensive game and definitely one of our more dangerous offensive D-men.

+ Kassian-Higgins-Booth - I thought this line looked pretty good all night, winning the battle along the boards and generating some good scoring chances. Hopefully AV keeps them together, because I think this is the teams best chance at a good third line.

- Alberts - The guy was a complete disaster out there again tonight. Not sure how AV can justify playing him over Ballard anymore, even by his twisted logic.

- The entire fourth line - Just an awful performance once again from this group, especially Lappiere. They are a huge liability right now. At this point, may as well see what steve pinizzotto brings to the table.

Very, very rarely has the Canucks 4th line not been a liability as of late. Guys like Torres and Tootoo need to make up a 4th line, not simply waiver pick ups. Lapierre has looked like a joke this season. What the HELL is up with him?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I really believe Alberts now is our 8th guy, Barker may struggle defensively, but can contribute offensively. Alberts is not good offensively and defensively

Both have no business playing at the NHL level. Barker's vision is so lacking, he ought to play with glasses. He does have slight offense but the defensive lapses are simply shocking. I agree on Alberts though. He use to be somewhat effective as a depth defenseman but the game has long passed him by. I suppose Barker for ten games a year or so isn't bad but AV loves to rotate in garbage.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Both have no business playing at the NHL level. Barker's vision is so lacking, he ought to play with glasses. He does have slight offense but the defensive lapses are simply shocking. I agree on Alberts though. He use to be somewhat effective as a depth defenseman but the game has long passed him by. I suppose Barker for ten games a year or so isn't bad but AV loves to rotate in garbage.

I think Alberts should have been a slugger in baseball and played first base.

Outside99*

^Most of the 4th lines in the league seem to be minus this year, used to be 4th lines were sent out against 4th lines but maybe teams see this as a scoring opportunity nowadays and send a scoring line out in response.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Great win on the road. The Jackets have been hot of late playing very structured hockey. I thought the execution was very good to start the game but faded late in the game. Too many times players are looking to make a play to get out of the D zone but everyone is standing still and the forecheckers are all in motion. Hopefully they can build off this game and start to score some goals. Great game from Booth as well.

moneyorder

Aug 17, 2012
aaaand we are scoreboard watchin'........wild losing 2 1 with a ducks powerplay in progress...1:09 remaining

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I dunno, of course neither should be regulars, but I dont think many teams have impressive #7/8 guys either

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
LOL, it went from scoreboard watching to see who was closing in on the president trophy race to seeing if we'll get bumped from the playoff race.:help:

I actually missed this kind of scoreboard watching. It's been a long time, and definitely adds some excitement.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
What do you guys think the defensive pairings should be when Bieksa gets healthy?

At this point, I would like to see Garrison and Hamhuis get an extended look together. I think these two provide the team with the best opportunity for a "shut down pairing" in the playoffs.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
what is Gilman doing on the bench? up close evaluation?

Was he really? I didn't even notice. Capologist and future coach? :sarcasm:

I hope he was breathing down AV's neck. Could he really be investigating what is going on down there to see how AV/players are interacting during a game?

#FIREAV

Sure, we won tonight, but just barely. FFS, we've been getting our ***** kicked and the only time we win is by getting one goal and getting lucky in a shootout.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I also like Garrison and Hamhuis, but that means one of two things

1) We will have Edler and Bieksa together, which is pretty scary despite them having some success in the past if my memory serves me right
2) Edler/Bieksa on the third pairing which imo will never happen, Would obviously be Tanev coming up to probably be paired with Edler

I think we will probably go with
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler Garrison
Ballard Tanev

2 pairings that have been solid in the past and I have faith in Edler Garrison becoming a great pair

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Was he really? I didn't even notice. Capologist and future coach? :sarcasm:

I hope he was breathing down AV's neck. Could he really be investigating what is going on down there to see how AV/players are interacting during a game?

#FIREAV

Sure, we won tonight, but just barely. FFS, we've been getting our ***** kicked and the only time we win is by getting one goal and getting lucky in a shootout.

We outplayed Columbus today, I'd hardly call the win lucky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->