Post-Game Talk: GAME 25 - A NIFTY Shootout Win - BRUINS 2 Islanders 1 - F/SO

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The Schenn hit was absolutely to the head and he should have gotten a game + for that IMO.

The Hickey hit last night was high, but it was body to body and it looked to me like he might have inadvertently got DK with his helmet on the follow through.

It didn’t get called and it shouldn’t have imo.

the suspensions don't mean much to me, I'm just shocked that he keeps getting up and wondering if it's really worth it taking all these knockout hits for him. Teeth knocked out last night on another one. I'd rest him. Every team knows now if you take out Krejci the Bruins are finished, especially with no Bergeron.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Last year on November 29th the B’s had a record of 11-8-4, 26 pts in 23 games.

This year on 11/29, they are 14-7-4 for 32 pts in 25 games, minus their top F and 3/4 of their best D for a good chunk of the season.

Do they need to be better? Absolutely. That said, they are generating points even with a very tough injury situation.

The thing that’s being overlooked by a lot it seems is how strong the Atlantic is this year. Even with less injuries and maybe 4 points due to having less injuries, were still fighting with Toronto for second place.

Reactions: BiGBear8

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Isn't that, oddly enough, the same **** that Schenn claimed for his hit? That his shoulder just happened to travel upwards through the play?

I just can't help but wonder if Marchand makes that hit, what happens. Or Backes at this point.

I’m not trying to be argumentative, but the Schenn and Hickey hits were completely dissimilar.

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
Donato has a laser for a shot for sure. At this point he should be on the wing with Krejci and Debrusk. Now the question is does JFK work his way back in to the lineup for Saturday? I can't see it at this point with Cassidy's comments about his compete. Heinen looks like he may be headed to the press box for a game too, but that would me JFK has to slot back in somewhere in the middle.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I thought maybe the Hickey hit could have been called a penalty at first, but I really don’t think so now.

I thought he came up a lot higher than he actually did and “elevated” into the hit. On replay it looks shoulder to chest with mostly coincidental head contact. If the hit was as bad as I thought at first, Krejci wouldn’t have come back into the game.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I couldn't be more proud of this team. Yeah, it's not perfect but they don't ask how, they just ask how many. Scoring is an issues but we've seen our tenders come up huge.

Wins/points at this time of the year really matter.

6-2-2 in their last 10 is huge.

Colby Cave is a keeper.

Go Bruins!

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I’m not trying to be argumentative, but the Schenn and Hickey hits were completely dissimilar.

And I am not even sure I remember the Schenn hit, so that's why I ask. I do recall there being a lengthy explanation about it at some point....if I recall he apparently apologized on the ice or something?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
And I am not even sure I remember the Schenn hit, so that's why I ask. I do recall there being a lengthy explanation about it at some point....if I recall he apparently apologized on the ice or something?

I think people were saying that Krejci was low, which was why Schenn got him in the head. I didn’t think Krejci’s head changed position significantly and Schenn had a responsibility to avoid the head on the hit (which he did not).

Reactions: Krupp

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I still can’t believe they gave Donato the 1st Star over Rask :laugh:

It never gets to the shootout if TR doesn’t stand on his head in OT.

Probably more of a "good for you for coming up and winning it for us" voting than full game merit based...
BTW is Marchand ever going to stop being so predictable with that backhand move?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
the suspensions don't mean much to me, I'm just shocked that he keeps getting up and wondering if it's really worth it taking all these knockout hits for him. Teeth knocked out last night on another one. I'd rest him. Every team knows now if you take out Krejci the Bruins are finished, especially with no Bergeron.

So we prevent someone from taking Krejci out of the game by . . . taking him out of the game? :huh:

Reactions: Chief Nine

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Do these guy know half the team is AHLers and rookies, wonder what goes through some ppls heads. Team is actually on a decent winning record in the last 10 games, Cassidy and Dean are pulling off miracles where Claude would have been crying in the press.
The defense is 1/2 AHL's, the forwards not so much. Bergeron is the only forward out. Yes the D that are out may help transition better, but the B's are still getting shot off , based on shots per game.
When it was early in the season, I just though they were in a slump, snake bit, what ever. It is clear, that secondary scoring is a major issue. Anyone not named Bergeron, Pasternak, Marchand, Debrusk,
just aren't scoring. Krecji has assists but not many goals. The B's aren't even getting shots that bounce off a players body and goes in. Imagine the record if Heinen, Backus, Krecji, and one or two other under performing forwards had 5 or more goals. Having the injured D come back won't fix the scoring.

Reactions: lopey

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
I still can’t believe they gave Donato the 1st Star over Rask :laugh:

It never gets to the shootout if TR doesn’t stand on his head in OT.
I missed game heard that Rask stood on his head and donato scored shootout win...Did Donato have a dominating game

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The defense is 1/2 AHL's, the forwards not so much. Bergeron is the only forward out. Yes the D that are out may help transition better, but the B's are still getting shot off , based on shots per game.
When it was early in the season, I just though they were in a slump, snake bit, what ever. It is clear, that secondary scoring is a major issue. Anyone not named Bergeron, Pasternak, Marchand, Debrusk,
just aren't scoring. Krecji has assists but not many goals. The B's aren't even getting shots that bounce off a players body and goes in. Imagine the record if Heinen, Backus, Krecji, and one or two other under performing forwards had 5 or more goals. Having the injured D come back won't fix the scoring.

the D that are out WILL help transition, they are currently missing:

Miller, physical presence who often wins those puck battles, possession often changes when he`s on the opponent

Carlo- while perhaps not your classic PMD, he`s mobile and is able to turn/retrieve and distribute far better than say a Kampfer/Clifton

McAvoy- PMD

Chara- like Miller, won`t win a ton of puck races, but his reach and big frame still shut down loads of offensive opportunities for opponents, with possession often changing

Last season, if I recall correctly, the B`s struggled with much the same as far as injuries on the back end and their scoring woes were eerily similar. Once we saw those healthy bodies return, the scoring became far less of a concern.

Can we guarantee scoring will skyrocket if and when we see a relatively healthy D return? Likely not, nor do I think we`ll see this team in the bottom 5 of scoring when that happens

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I missed game heard that Rask stood on his head and donato scored shootout win...Did Donato have a dominating game
He played with Acciari and Nordstrom for most of the game. Ill leave you with that.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Donato has a laser for a shot for sure. At this point he should be on the wing with Krejci and Debrusk. Now the question is does JFK work his way back in to the lineup for Saturday? I can't see it at this point with Cassidy's comments about his compete. Heinen looks like he may be headed to the press box for a game too, but that would me JFK has to slot back in somewhere in the middle.
I think the question is can you sacrifice Heinen’s possession for Donato’s shot. Your looking for both to play to their strengths and to close the gap on weaknesses. That is why these situations with internal competition are so good for our long term development.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Donato played like a kid who learned some good things in the AHL, to call his game dominating would be incorrect. Now, I had to zip out and missed the 3rd period and I don`t watch gimmick hockey such as the OT/SO but his first 2 periods showed me he seemed far more focused on details away from the puck which is a great sign

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I don't know that JFK for Heinen would be an upgrade, based on what JFK did prior to his trip to Providence. Neither has done much, but Heinen is better defensively.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I'm wondering if the Bruins have made any long term decisions on JFK and Bjork. Compete level is a serious issue at this age for a guy trying to make the big club IMO....and with Bjork has only had one good goal scoring season in his amateur career. I guess basically if the Bruins don't see them as bottom six capable players where do they fit in? Worst case scenario I could see Bjork developing into a Paille + type player but hopefully the ceiling is higher. JFK no idea about but was never a huge fan and still am not.

Reactions: sarge88

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm wondering if the Bruins have made any long term decisions on JFK and Bjork. Compete level is a serious issue at this age for a guy trying to make the big club IMO....and with Bjork has only had one good goal scoring season in his amateur career. I guess basically if the Bruins don't see them as bottom six capable players where do they fit in? Worst case scenario I could see Bjork developing into a Paille + type player but hopefully the ceiling is higher. JFK no idea about but was never a huge fan and still am not.

I think the B`s should be more concerned about JFK and his ability/willingness to bring a high level of compete shift in and out. Despite Bjork having next to no production this season, the kid busts his arse out there and I have noticed far more willingness to stick his nose in the scrums or be willing to absorb a hit to make a play.

Sending him down, IMO, is less about having him work on a part of his game that is sorely lacking and almost all about trying to give the kid some offensive confidence. There have been numerous vids/articles featuring Cassidy and when speaking about Bjork, he had very positive things to say about his game but Cassidy himself said Bjork just snake bitten but liked his compete. Not sure I heard that about JFK.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I think in the past you've shared the same frustration I have with a lot of the young forwards, in that they are pretty redundant in both positive and negative traits. Of course there are going to be distinctions, but in the end, JFK, Donato, Bjork, Heinen, are all pretty much the same guy. Small, not physical, skill guys and aside from Bjork, none seem particularly fast. I really wish they'd turn two of these guys --- or even one and pick or defense prospect into a legit 3C or 2RW with term.

While I like Sweeney as a GM overall, I worry that he gets too attached to some of the draftees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad