Pre-Game Talk: Game #23: Vancouver Canucks vs. Florida Panthers - Tuesday, Nov. 17th 7:00PM - SNET-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lundface*

Goaltender friendly my ass. They score 1 or less 41% of the time.

The chances they give up are also pretty high scoring opportunities.

I hate save % as a basis for argument. Schneider gave it to us and also allowed 9 goals in the 5 periods he played in a Canuck uni.

Do you not watch other teams play? They have been limiting the high scoring chances very well, at some point you'd expect your 6.7 million dollar goalie to make some stops.
He's been average so far and the team will need him to be better, at the moment he isn't outplaying his rookie backup let alone the goalie at the other end of the rink.

Scoring is the teams main problem, but even if they correct that they will need better goaltending given how few opportunities the other teams have been getting.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Do you not watch other teams play? They have been limiting the high scoring chances very well, at some point you'd expect your 6.7 million dollar goalie to make some stops.
He's been average so far and the team will need him to be better, at the moment he isn't outplaying his rookie backup let alone the goalie at the other end of the rink.

Scoring is the teams main problem, but even if they correct that they will need better goaltending given how few opportunities the other teams have been getting.

Goaltending has been fine when we have scored 2 or more goals. That's really all you can ask.

Lundface*

Goaltending has been fine when we have scored 2 or more goals. That's really all you can ask.

Guess we're better off opening it up and losing games 6-4 then. They'll need to sacrifice defence in order to produce more with the lack of firepower upfront....sadly we also lack quality in net and won't get any better results.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Guess we're better off opening it up and losing games 6-4 then. They'll need to sacrifice defence in order to produce more with the lack of firepower upfront....sadly we also lack quality in net and won't get any better results.

That is 100% baseless by the fact that anytime the Canucks have "opened it up" and scored more than 1 goal in a game they have not lost in regulation, so you are wrong.

Lundface*

It's too bad not a single GM in the league would take Luongo, we could use the cap to put towards offence. Lack looks every bit as good as Luongo and has room to improve.

I find it odd that people aren't allowed to take note of his declining level of play. He used to be a solid goalie that would blow up on occasion. Now he seems to be a middling goalie, we'll have to see if he's still a mental midget if they can make the playoffs.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
We're also 7 points behind first overall. It's just a tight pack at the top, and I expect a few teams to fade. Colorado, Phoenix and possibly LA. If Vancouver can convert these high shot totals into goals, they will go on a hot streak.

Goaltending is not costing us games, it's lack of execution on offense and the occasional defensive lapse. The 'Schneider was elite and would have won these games' arguments need to stop, he's on another team with 0 offensive support and has 1 win all season. Tanev, Edler have both had tough seasons defensively so far, and Garrison is getting zilch on the offensive side of the puck.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
We outshoot them with a 2:1 margin again and finally manages to score 2 goals, both from our top line and none from secondary scoring. But we let in 3 goals. Luongo doesn't make a crucial save.

Last edited:

Lundface*

That is 100% baseless by the fact that anytime the Canucks have "opened it up" and scored more than 1 goal in a game they have not lost in regulation, so you are wrong.

It's sad that you don't know what opening it up if means, so there's no point in having that discussion with you. They are destroying teams in the run of play just by forechecking hard. If they want to commit extra guys and gamble more often they will see more offence but it will force the 6.7 million dollar man to make stops. He has pedestrian numbers facing few scoring chances, who knows what they will deteriorate into if he faces more quality chances.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
It's sad that you don't know what opening it up if means, so there's no point in having that discussion with you. They are destroying teams in the run of play just by forechecking hard. If they want to commit extra guys and gamble more often they will see more offence but it will force the 6.7 million dollar man to make stops. He has pedestrian numbers facing few scoring chances, who knows what they will deteriorate into if he faces more quality chances.
Why do you care at all what the number on his cheque is?

Oh right, because you are just mindlessly bashing the goalie because you can't come to grips with the fact that the team doesn't have offense to win games.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

So are you suggesting the Canucks, instead of generating 42 shots last night, needed to "open it up" and generate 60 shots in order to score 2 or 3 goals? That's kind of pathetic if you ask me.

I guess you didn't watch the game if this is your opinion.

I am confident that the Canucks could lose 10 games by a score of 1-0 in every game and the comments would be "well if Luongo would have been better we would have won." :shakehead

arsmaster*

It's too bad not a single GM in the league would take Luongo, we could use the cap to put towards offence. Lack looks every bit as good as Luongo and has room to improve.

I find it odd that people aren't allowed to take note of his declining level of play. He used to be a solid goalie that would blow up on occasion. Now he seems to be a middling goalie, we'll have to see if he's still a mental midget if they can make the playoffs.

Nobody said your not allowed. I just said you were wrong. I really don't see the difference.

Even Eddie Lack is losing games when we score less than 2.

Your mental midget comment tells me all I need to know when entering a discussion with you. Let me guess the guys driving that 1 goal in 9 out of 22 games are mental giants.

Hilarious.

Save % may be the defacto goalie stat, but it doesn't matter.

I'm sure it was Lu's fault on the 3rd period goal last night too. You know that 2 on 1 from center ice?

Our goalies are getting pretty poor support we can move the goal posts all we'd like, but the bottom like is we've scored one goal on 9 of 22 games. If that permeates through the season we wouldn't make the playoffs with Pat Roy and Dominik Hasek in net at the same time.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
We're also 7 points behind first overall. It's just a tight pack at the top, and I expect a few teams to fade. Colorado, Phoenix and possibly LA. If Vancouver can convert these high shot totals into goals, they will go on a hot streak.

Goaltending is not costing us games, it's lack of execution on offense and the occasional defensive lapse. The 'Schneider was elite and would have won these games' arguments need to stop, he's on another team with 0 offensive support and has 1 win all season. Tanev, Edler have both had tough seasons defensively so far, and Garrison is getting zilch on the offensive side of the puck.

Sure these teams might fade but Colorado has 3 games in hand, Yotes and LA 1 each. Maybe the fans of those teams expect the Canucks to remain a 500 team?

Lundface*

Nobody said your not allowed. I just said you were wrong. I really don't see the difference.

Even Eddie Lack is losing games when we score less than 2.

Your mental midget comment tells me all I need to know when entering a discussion with you. Let me guess the guys driving that 1 goal in 9 out of 22 games are mental giants.

Hilarious.

Save % may be the defacto goalie stat, but it doesn't matter.

I'm sure it was Lu's fault on the 3rd period goal last night too. You know that 2 on 1 from center ice?

Our goalies are getting pretty poor support we can move the goal posts all we'd like, but the bottom like is we've scored one goal on 9 of 22 games. If that permeates through the season we wouldn't make the playoffs with Pat Roy and Dominik Hasek in net at the same time.
Or you'll realize I've said several times the offence needs to score more. That is a separate issue from goaltending, you win and lose games involving both those things. Just like you do by defending properly.

The team is defending well, barely giving up any chances so that doesn't need to change.

Offence is creating chances, but can't score. Either we find better players or the players we have simply must be better. Don't kid yourself into thinking anyone is satisfied with the offence.

The goaltending hasn't had to face much work and has been average when doing it. Luongo hasn't been terrible, he's been average. He saves easy shots so he isn't the reason the team is losing, but he isn't stopping many difficult ones either.

So you can chose to focus on offence which is fine, and be content with average level goaltending. Or you can acknowledge both need to be better.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Ignoring the fact that Thomas was on the winning side of that series, I was just appalled at how he managed to come out of that looking like the good guy whereas Luongo was cast in the villain's light. On Luongo's side of the ledger, you have the "pumping tires" thing. On Thomas's side, you have him throwing checks at incoming forwards (which is a penalty, but wasn't called) hacking at opposing players with his stick and then fighting them, etc. etc...to say nothing of his eventual nutjob views on the world that came out later.

I want this guy lit up. Hard. The offense needs to put its foot on the gas pedal for this one.

This. Light him the **** up please.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Sure these teams might fade but Colorado has 3 games in hand, Yotes and LA 1 each. Maybe the fans of those teams expect the Canucks to remain a 500 team?

3 points out of a playoff spot, yet only 7 back of the president's trophy race. The first quarter of the schedule was pretty heavy on cross-conference games, which the west dominated. With many of those games out of the way, they are back to playing and taking points from each other.

Colorado got some unsustainable goaltending which is beginning to regress. I expect them to be out of the race shortly. LA hasn't been getting good goaltending from Quick, and now he's injured and they are relying on Scrivens. They are due for a slump. Phoenix is scoring goals, but I'm not convinced they are as strong as their record indicates. Even the Ducks are a weaker team with the subtraction of Ryan this season. SJ is streaky and had a 5 game winless streak already this season.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
We are freaking 4-5-2 vs west and two of those wins came from edmonton/calgary which are joke teams. That is a ****ing terrible record.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
We outshoot them with a 2:1 margin again and finally manages to score 2 goals, both from our top line and none from secondary scoring. But we let in 3 goals. Luongo doesn't make a crucial save.

Considering Luongo hasn't lost a game when the teams scored more than a goal, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this won't happen.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Strombone‏@strombone1
Just at Canadian Tire picking up a few essentials for tomorrow's big tilt.......

BZZEPViCQAEPHlY.jpg
https://twitter.com/strombone1/status/402584247015194624/photo/1

:laugh: Gotta love the humour.

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
I'll be there! And thank goodness, my 3-0 record is exactly the boost this team needs. You're welcome folks.

arsmaster*

So you can chose to focus on offence which is fine, and be content with average level goaltending. Or you can acknowledge both need to be better.

We're 2-3-2 in our last 7. Luongo allowed more than 2 once.

Our goaltending is better than average. We've been given a chance to win all but the LA game.

I couldn't care less what the save% says. We're getting very good goaltending.

I think people are obsessed with numbers beyond the score of the game. I'm not one of those people.

The San Jose game is a perfect example. Lu puts up a .933 while allowing a fluke bounce and a PP goal in OT. If he faced 10 or 40 shots those still go in the net. Yet somehow the sv% tells some people he's awesome.

Judging him by his salary is also annoying. It's all about cap hit. Salary should not matter. People can talk about the resources, but the bottom line is he eats up a 5.3 chunk of the cap. I believe that's 11th in the league. I wouldn't take 11 goalies ahead of what he's doing right now although some might take Steve Mason and his sterling sv%.

arsmaster*

sad how far downhill this site has gone

Hah.

Been here almost 5 years. I don't see it, but then again I've got a very deep ignore list.

Until he retires Luongo will get ragged on. If that's your issue you best get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad