Pre-Game Talk: Game #23: Vancouver Canucks vs. Florida Panthers - Tuesday, Nov. 17th 7:00PM - SNET-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I think this time it's fair to call this a "must win". Sitting outside a playoff spot, trying to stop a losing streak against one of the worst teams in the NHL, please please win.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Ignoring the fact that Thomas was on the winning side of that series, I was just appalled at how he managed to come out of that looking like the good guy whereas Luongo was cast in the villain's light. On Luongo's side of the ledger, you have the "pumping tires" thing. On Thomas's side, you have him throwing checks at incoming forwards (which is a penalty, but wasn't called) hacking at opposing players with his stick and then fighting them, etc. etc...to say nothing of his eventual nutjob views on the world that came out later.

I want this guy lit up. Hard. The offense needs to put its foot on the gas pedal for this one.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I don't take any problems with how he sees politics (even though he came through like a sore winner) hell, I don't even mind him instigating Burrows that one time.

Throwing a body-check on Henrik though is just uncalled for. I can't believe no one whistled that down. I have to give him the fact that after the series he harbored no ill will to Luo. He spoke fairly high of him, which I thought was pretty damn classy.

I don't get the whole politics thing, it was a kind of a ****** thing to do, but he's totally free to do that.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I want to see Tim Thomas get lit up like a Christmas tree. Hopefully the Canucks' offense chooses this particular night to break out.

Indeed. One of those goaltenders who abuse the fact that refs mostly ignore goalie infractions. Also one of the biggest culprits in the 2011 screwjob and a nutcase off the ice. Zero respect for this guy.

arsmaster*

Ignoring the fact that Thomas was on the winning side of that series, I was just appalled at how he managed to come out of that looking like the good guy whereas Luongo was cast in the villain's light. On Luongo's side of the ledger, you have the "pumping tires" thing. On Thomas's side, you have him throwing checks at incoming forwards (which is a penalty, but wasn't called) hacking at opposing players with his stick and then fighting them, etc. etc...to say nothing of his eventual nutjob views on the world that came out later.

I want this guy lit up. Hard. The offense needs to put its foot on the gas pedal for this one.

"tough", "old time hockey", "classy".

Duh!

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Good luck tonight, if I remember correctly our games are usually pretty low scoring with each other.. Hopefully Matthias puts on a show for your GM :)

P.S. Watch out for Bjugstad :-P

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Pumped to see Barkov for the first time, kids going to be a beauty

Basso

Dec 11, 2008
The top pairing of Edler and Garrison is really struggling. Edleritis has spread to Garrison as well.

arsmaster*

So I missed the Stars post game thread before it closed, and now I can't quote some posts from it.

opendoor and MS are both suggesting we're losing games because of goaltending lately.

Sorry lads, scoring 1 goal a game should not lead to wins, I don't care what you have to say on it.

You absolutely cannot expect your goalie to win games like the LA debacle or last nights. They scored on some shotty defensive breakdowns and couldn't create those at the other end. Looks like the 2011 finals out there right now.

Sharks game, they scored a 6-5 goal (fluke) and a 4-3 goal. I'll never understand people who blame the goalies in those circumstances.

Lu's not perfect and maybe he could have had the Nichushkin goal last night, but the GWG he had no chance.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
So I missed the Stars post game thread before it closed, and now I can't quote some posts from it.

opendoor and MS are both suggesting we're losing games because of goaltending lately.

Sorry lads, scoring 1 goal a game should not lead to wins, I don't care what you have to say on it.

You absolutely cannot expect your goalie to win games like the LA debacle or last nights. They scored on some shotty defensive breakdowns and couldn't create those at the other end. Looks like the 2011 finals out there right now.

Sharks game, they scored a 6-5 goal (fluke) and a 4-3 goal. I'll never understand people who blame the goalies in those circumstances.

Lu's not perfect and maybe he could have had the Nichushkin goal last night, but the GWG he had no chance.

I was going to post in that same thread before it closed to agree with opendoor and MS... And it wasn't just them commenting on the goaltending in that thread either.

I think MS put it best when he said that one can comment on the goaltending as a separate issue. You can critique the scoring _and_ the goaltending, which is what they did.

Lastly, the bolded statement above is dealing in absolutes when whether a team wins or loses on a goal is largely dependent upon each game itself. There is no "should not X, given Y" because NHL games don't follow a strict formula.

arsmaster*

I was going to post in that same thread before it closed to agree with opendoor and MS... And it wasn't just them commenting on the goaltending in that thread either.

I think MS put it best when he said that one can comment on the goaltending as a separate issue. You can critique the scoring _and_ the goaltending, which is what they did.

Lastly, the bolded statement above is dealing in absolutes when whether a team wins or loses on a goal is largely dependent upon each game itself. There is no "should not X, given Y" because NHL games don't follow a strict formula.

Expecting to win games 1-0 is stupid. I don't need a better word for it either, expecting to win games 1-0 is stupid.

I have no issue with the goaltending. It isn't why the team is losing.

Seriously, this isn't soccer. You have to score to win, and the majority of the time you have to score more than once, not even the majority, 90% of the time you need at least two.

Part of it for me is your afinity to use sv% as the defacto reason for why the goaltending is good or isn't. Lu was .913 last night, had the Stars taken 5 more shots that were saved he'd be at .929.....I really don't think it matters. 2 goals went passed him and only one (that counted) went passed the other goalie. SV% doesn't tell me anything about the game was played.

MS is right, you can knock both and one or the other, but I really don't understand why you'd knock the goaltending at this point in time, when it's abundantly clear to me, it's the least of the teams problems. They have lost 4 straight and have only scored 1 goal in each of those games. There's a slogan about this, isn't there? Doing something the same way over and over and expecting different results is the definition of something right?

I also believe there was a stat someone brought up the other day about Lu/the Canucks record when scoring 2 or more this year? Not 100% sure of it, but are we not undefeated in regulation when scoring 2 or more?

We're not losing games because of goaltending....seems like a silly thing to complain about given the circumstances.

I think as a team, we're playing great hockey, besides the lack of finish. Here's hoping Timmy doesn't 2011 us again.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I think this time it's fair to call this a "must win". Sitting outside a playoff spot, trying to stop a losing streak against one of the worst teams in the NHL, please please win.

The term must win at the 22 game mark is a tad overkill but ya it's pretty important not to lose too much ground here, 3 points behind the # 8 team in the conference and that team has 3 games in hand.

Their luck should change right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad