GDT: Game 23: Golden Knights vs Dallas Stars

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Hichcock had them ready. Our offensive flow was stymied by Dallas and the next few opponents will look closely at what they did to beat VGK. While it's easy to say that the Knights just played poorly, I think this was a scheme win for the Stars.

I was impressed by the Dallas defensive play. They were able to keep the front of the goal relatively clear, pushing more of the VGK offensive pressure to the periphery. Plus, Bishop was able to play as well as ever.
This defensive scheme by Dallas is easier said than done, however.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevada Jones

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Was I being unrealistic to expect us to go 40-1-0 at home?

Rhetorical question. :laugh:

Seemed like an odd game for some reason from puck drop. First period was a snoozer. Gallant thought VGK played pretty well, but I'm wondering if all the success so far at TMA caused some complacency. Home ice advantage is good, but it can't score goals for you.

If only we could take back the last 30 seconds or so of that second period, maybe a different result.

"If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?" (Credit to the originator, whoever that was.)

But to be fair, Dallas did have a plan that worked and Bishop played well.

We are still tied for first place with two games in hand, though, so that's something. And Kings/Sharks both have some tough road games the next few days.

Hopefully we're still at or near the top of the division a week from now.

On to Minnesota!

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Bishop has been perfect against us. It took a puck to his face for another goalie to come in so we could win the first game. He just looks like a brick wall out there. He uses his size well.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
There was something off in the whole place last night. The crowd was dead. I'm hoping we don't need to see thousands of opposing fans to get excited and loud.

Outside of that, I really think we're missing our hurt guys. Carrier, Perron, and Sbisa are fairly important and that 4th line has been the spark plug string everything started in a lot of games.

Dallas spent more time getting into passing lanes and getting sticks on shots than any other team I've seen so far this season. They kind of beat the Knights with the Knights own schtick on that one.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I was impressed by the Dallas defensive play. They were able to keep the front of the goal relatively clear, pushing more of the VGK offensive pressure to the periphery. Plus, Bishop was able to play as well as ever.
This defensive scheme by Dallas is easier said than done, however.

Dallas's forecheck was what I've come to expect of VGK in this brief beginning of the season. VGK was there for most of the game defensively, but fell victim to the kind of compressed offensive barrage they have laid on a couple other teams.

My only real disappointment was all the bad passes, puck fumbles, and outright puck misses last night. And the poor sportsmanship of one crowing (and drunk, I hope) Stars fan. Oh, and the lady who pooped on our cancer recognition before the game.

Reactions: mundyc3

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Granger makes a good (and obvious, duh) point in his recap of the game.

Without element of surprise, Golden Knights stymied by Stars

Teams have ample scouting now of the Knights so there's no sneaking up on them. Also, maybe starting to take us seriously as a good team.

And I think about the "revenge factor" as we begin to play teams a second time. We did spoil Dallas' home opener.
(Hey, what about Dad's trip games...I wonder if teams perform better in these.)

I know we have won three against Arizona, but that's Arizona. :D

Curious to see how the upcoming games against Winnipeg, Coyotes (again) and Ducks play out.

Reactions: hangman005

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad