GDT: Game 23 - CBJ vs OTT - 25 Nov, 7pm, @Nat

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Great great great and what an boring match. Next 8games 7 of them is against division team. Yikes

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Bettman .500 is very misleading.

82 points generally puts a team around 22nd overall and 12 or so points shy of a playoff berth.

Atkinson and Anderson have to find their games or this offensively-challenged team (30 out of 31 in goals per game-2.57/game) has zero chance of making the playoffs. Even if they do, Foligno/Wennberg/Texier/Bemstrom are so far below needed contribution levels that making the playoffs would still be a very long shot.

Last edited:

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
My wife makes a GREAT challah! She makes some pretty kick ass rugelach and hamantaschen too. I bet I couldn't have found a Jewish girl who makes them better than her. L'Chaim!

Back on topic...D&S has been quiet since Elvis' last start so I assume he does not take up the pitchforks vs Korpi after the shutout tonight either. Elvis needs experience but he's gonna be hard pressed to get enough starts in Columbus the way things are going right now. I wish he would embrace a trip to Cleveland to shake off the rust. Cleveland's a good town for nightlife and the arena is as nice if not nicer than pretty much every arena in the NHL.

Listened to the game on the radio, sounds like Korpi had to make some pretty hard saves.

He did embrace the trip down to Cleveland. Ironically, Korpi’s blunder (his meltdown) prevented Elvis from staying down there for as long as he should have.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
He did embrace the trip down to Cleveland. Ironically, Korpi’s blunder (his meltdown) prevented Elvis from staying down there for as long as he should have.
Good point. Hadn’t really looked at it that way.

In some ways he gets it and some ways he doesn’t. In his interview he says he realizes it was his mistake and he learned from it. Maybe he could get away with that in Europe but not here. Said he realizes as the backup he’s not getting as many opportunities to impress so he needs to be wiser and play smarter.

I think: yay he gets it. Of course this is why EVERYONE wanted him to go to Cleveland the end of last season to get whatever North American experience he could going into this season.

then he says: but if I have a shot at an empty netter you know I’m gonna take it.

and I think: where’s the damn facepalm emoji when I need it

Reactions: thebus88

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Bettman .500 is very misleading.

82 points generally puts a team around 22nd overall and 12 or so points shy of a playoff berth.

Atkinson and Anderson have to find their games or this offensively-challenged team (30 out of 31 in goals per game-2.57/game) has zero chance of making the playoffs. Even if they do, Foligno/Wennberg/Texier/Bemstrom are so far below needed contribution levels that making the playoffs would still be a very long shot.

Exactly a point per game in the NHL isn't average. Last year in the East 91.69 points was average which amounts to 1.12 points/game.
82 points would have put you 11th out of 16th teams in East.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
We should be on a 5 game win streak, or at least point streak, if not for dip****’s brain fart. I’ve always been skeptical of Korpi but he’s been much better this year than in the past.
And we could’ve gone 82-0 if the team scored more than the other team every game.

You are going to lose some games. Goalies will make bad decisions and teams will score bad goals. It’s just life. Yes, Elvis made a bad deceiving but if he’d stopped the puck people wouldn’t be so angry. Keep in mind the shot was a deflection off of Savard as well.

I’ve made a choice to stop being angry about a sports team. I suggest others do the same.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
And we could’ve gone 82-0 if the team scored more than the other team every game.

You are going to lose some games. Goalies will make bad decisions and teams will score bad goals. It’s just life. Yes, Elvis made a bad deceiving but if he’d stopped the puck people wouldn’t be so angry. Keep in mind the shot was a deflection off of Savard as well.

I’ve made a choice to stop being angry about a sports team. I suggest others do the same.
Despite how my post came off I’m not mad. I just don’t think Elvis is yet NHL caliber.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017

You are so right. I stopped being mad about teams when the Browns moved. Watching sports has been way more enjoyable since. I root for the teams I like, but most of all, I want to see a well played game no matter the outcome.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
You are so right. I stopped being mad about teams when the Browns moved. Watching sports has been way more enjoyable since. I root for the teams I like, but most of all, I want to see a well played game no matter the outcome.

I’m a Bengals and Reds fan too. If I let it get to me to the point I’m angry at individuals for making bad decisions and calling them demeaning names I’d have an aneurysm and be like Lewis Black 24/7.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Gavrikov playing 12 minutes makes no sense when he’s the best defensive defenseman on the team

David Savard would like a word.

Gavrikov is steady. But Savard, Jones, and Murray are the Dmen to trust to end the game. Gav is working his way into this group.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Halfway through the game against mighty Ottawa and the CBJ have eight shots on goal. Nauseating.

But I'm sure some special stats gnostic can "prove" that they've had more scoring opportunities

Cyc, I take issue with the added term given to the "statisticians". Gnostics look at things much deeper than just the numbers and see and think for themselves. "Advanced math" or not, they do not listen to the "numbers".

With that said, 2 more points.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Cyc, I take issue with the added term given to the "statisticians". Gnostics look at things much deeper than just the numbers and see and think for themselves. "Advanced math" or not, they do not listen to the "numbers".

With that said, 2 more points.

In any case, your boy is playing lights out of late. It's going to be interesting to see him play for a while as the uncontested #1. If he continues on his latest pace, he might see 60+ starts.

Elvis may have left the building.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The choice between watching 2 undefeated basketball teams play a physical game on BTN or 2 bad NHL teams on Fox Sports Ohio is pretty easy to me. I love the throwback jerseys.

:ha::whine:---Ugh---:speechles:puppy:

Its easy to me too, still, even after the changes to the game.

Crazy to read "physical game" as an endorsement of a basketball game over a hockey game. It is what it is.

Also, "2 bad NHL teams"......gonna be a LONG SPRING for some CBJ "fans" this spring, courtesy of yours truly.

:toothless

Reactions: koteka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad