GDT: Game 22 - CBJ @ WPG - 23 Nov, 7pm

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I mean why play 3 of our fastest guys , and creative guys, when you have the other team down to 4 defenseman ? Just another example of why I can’t stand Tortorella
Yep, when you have what should be an advantage that you should offensively exploit, Torts dials up a more defensive oriented approach. While I read that Bemstrom and Milano deserved to be spectators in the 3rd, maybe Torts deserved to watch his team post a whopping 6 shots in the 3rd.

Get Bengt

Forging a Stanley Cup champ 1 whiny post at a time
Mar 31, 2018
Winnipeg
Fair weather Jets fan, here. I come in peace.

John Tortorella always struck me as a bit of an “it’s all about me” kinda guy. Every time he opens his mouth, he seems to prove me right.

If he were a great coach, this would be easy to overlook. But seeing last night’s game from a Jets fan’s perspective, I can report that I could not believe how easy it was to tie, go ahead, & win. Frankly - and for the first time all year - we seemed to be playing a team that wanted to lose.

Super-small sample size - & I get that your team did seem to over-achieve last year - but I ask out of genuine and sheer curiosity: is the impression of Torts as “more sizzle than steak” something only outsiders like me notice, or is this at least an emerging sentiment in Columbus, too?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

John Tortorella always struck me as a bit of an “it’s all about me” kinda guy. Every time he opens his mouth, he seems to prove me right.

If he were a great coach, this would be easy to overlook. But seeing last night’s game from a Jets fan’s perspective, I can report that I could not believe how easy it was to tie, go ahead, & win. Frankly - and for the first time all year - we seemed to be playing a team that wanted to lose.

Super-small sample size - & I get that your team did seem to over-achieve last year - but I ask out of genuine and sheer curiosity: is the impression of Torts as “more sizzle than steak” something only outsiders like me notice, or is this at least an emerging sentiment in Columbus, too?

What sizzle? I haven't seen him get much respect. He wouldn't be my first choice for coach, I'm just tired of the exaggerations.

He's got a third period panic button he likes to hit, hits it most games, it's not helpful. But I wouldn't say that had much to do with last night's results. We had a rookie goalie have a bizarre game and hand the Jets a couple of easy goals. If not for that it would have been a clear Jackets win. (Of course you could say the game would have gone differently if the refs had not called so many penalties).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Actually in the past few games they have created a lot of our offense . But going with the vets paid off, we generated 6 shots in the 3rd, and lost the game . :nod:

I'm sure Torts is doing his usual panic mode about kids getting scored on. It's not a concern about their scoring abilities.

Interestingly, while Milano hasn't done much to show off defensive prowess, Bemstrom has only been on the ice for 6 goals against all year, across 200 minutes. Only Wennberg, who has been on for a crazy low 5 in 278 minutes, has better goals against results.

Gee I wonder which one of these facts you'll selectively remember.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Actually in the past few games they have created a lot of our offense . But going with the vets paid off, we generated 6 shots in the 3rd, and lost the game . :nod:
I am going to go out on a limb here and guess you are referring to the Montreal game where they generated offence. I have said before every game is different and requires different strategies. I am sure you can agree with that. Yes, they only had 6 shots against Winnipeg in the 3rd period. Not a lot. In the 3rd against Montreal, with the young guys playing they generated, wait for it, 6 whole shots in the 3rd period. Only difference is that 3 went in, and the one the young guys were a part of was extremely lucky, and technically only a shot because it went in after taking some lucky bounces. The Montreal game, as a team, they generated less than 10 shots per period so yeah, the young guys generated offence in that game, compared to almost 12 shots per period in the Winnipeg game. The young guys put up 5 shots total in both games, 4 in Montreal, 3 by Texier, 2 by Bemstrom and 0 by Milano. They did have assists in the Habs game, but most of the offence happened in the 1st as there were only 13 shots on goal the last 2 periods. Winnipeg had the young guys under control and that is why they ended up on the bench. They weren't contributing. I am all for playing these guys, and want them to succeed, but they just aren't getting it done. Same with Elvis.If he wants to play more, he has to cut down on the boneheaded mistakes. You can't just play guys that are not playing well just because they need the time. This is the regular season and these games count and I want my coach to play the guys that give us the best chance to win that certain game. It doesn't matter who it is, just that it is the guys that are contributing that game and making a difference.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

A team featuring A 2 time vezina trophy winning goalie, Panarin, Duchene, and at least 4 other 20 goal scorers over achieved? Our roster was stacked lol.

I’d say the general belief around here is fair to Torts but there is an extremely vocal minority that hates him. I don’t think your assessment of Torts bring me first is correct at all, he uses his media attention to shield his team (usually at least).

Get Bengt

Mar 31, 2018
Winnipeg
What sizzle? I haven't seen him get much respect. He wouldn't be my first choice for coach, I'm just tired of the exaggerations.

He's got a third period panic button he likes to hit, hits it most games, it's not helpful. But I wouldn't say that had much to do with last night's results. We had a rookie goalie have a bizarre game and hand the Jets a couple of easy goals. If not for that it would have been a clear Jackets win. (Of course you could say the game would have gone differently if the refs had not called so many penalties).
Fair points. By “sizzle”, I didn’t mean “lots of respect”. I meant “self-promotion”. (Which may be one of the reasons he’s not getting much respect.)

All I meant was: Jets outscored Blue Jackets at even strength 4-0 for the game - and 2-0 to close out game. And did so while going down to 4 D-men, & with relatively little jump in their step. Yah, you could argue it was mostly bounces, but I had distinct impression we were destined to win that one eventually.

If your guys play hard for their coach on other nights, then never mind. Just offering my perspective, for what it’s worth.

Cheers.

Get Bengt

Mar 31, 2018
Winnipeg
A team featuring A 2 time vezina trophy winning goalie, Panarin, Duchene, and at least 4 other 20 goal scorers over achieved? Our roster was stacked lol.

I’d say the general belief around here is fair to Torts but there is an extremely vocal minority that hates him. I don’t think your assessment of Torts bring me first is correct at all, he uses his media attention to shield his team (usually at least).
Ok, thanks for that in-depth perspective - appreciated.

CBJ just looked (to this grizzled observer) like a team in mental disarray. If I misread the tea leaves, then never mind.

Cheers.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Ok, thanks for that in-depth perspective - appreciated.

CBJ just looked (to this grizzled observer) like a team in mental disarray. If I misread the tea leaves, then never mind.

Cheers.

Lots of peeps here who tend to only look at the good. The Jackets have been playing a bit better lately but I think the term mental disarray could aptly describe much of their effort this season. Aimless (both literally and figuratively) would be another term I'd use to describe much of this season's efforts. It is hard for me to come to grips that they are only 5 points out of a playoff spot.

Reactions: Get Bengt

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
People complainig how Torts didn't play the young guys and it may have cost them the game, just need to look at the Jets time on ice and see their young guys didn't even log 6 minutes that game. In fact, they barely logged 5 minutes. Looks like Winnipeg was coaching the same way, but because they won its all ok. Had Elvis just dumped the puck into the corner, it could have been a completely different outcome.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It was seven 20+ goal scorers. Playing in front of a 2 time Vezina winner and a great D group.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Fair points. By “sizzle”, I didn’t mean “lots of respect”. I meant “self-promotion”. (Which may be one of the reasons he’s not getting much respect.)

All I meant was: Jets outscored Blue Jackets at even strength 4-0 for the game - and 2-0 to close out game. And did so while going down to 4 D-men, & with relatively little jump in their step. Yah, you could argue it was mostly bounces, but I had distinct impression we were destined to win that one eventually.

If your guys play hard for their coach on other nights, then never mind. Just offering my perspective, for what it’s worth.

Cheers.

It wasn't an issue with effort.

The Jets were playing against a goalie who self-destructed.

EKHG0c4XYAAT8E7

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
People complainig how Torts didn't play the young guys and it may have cost them the game, just need to look at the Jets time on ice and see their young guys didn't even log 6 minutes that game. In fact, they barely logged 5 minutes. Looks like Winnipeg was coaching the same way, but because they won its all ok. Had Elvis just dumped the puck into the corner, it could have been a completely different outcome.
Again, the Jets had 4 defenseman . That means you take a shift, you rest a minute , and your right back on the ice . It would only be common sense to play your guys that skate their ass off and can stretch the defense , but for all the talk by Big bad torts , he coaches afraid . He coaches not to lose , and I would have to imagine the players pick up on that . He complains about his team being the tightest group he’s ever seen , yet he rips them in the media , staples players to the bench for the slightest miscue . You don’t think that creates hesitancy with players, especially the young guys ? Confidence is a major component to success in the league . Heck look at Bemstrom now , compared to 10 games ago . I tend to think that MacLean was brought in as a replacement . He still coaches with some grit, but he understands the offensive game .

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Again, the Jets had 4 defenseman . That means you take a shift, you rest a minute , and your right back on the ice . It would only be common sense to play your guys that skate their ass off and can stretch the defense , but for all the talk by Big bad torts , he coaches afraid . He coaches not to lose , and I would have to imagine the players pick up on that . He complains about his team being the tightest group he’s ever seen , yet he rips them in the media , staples players to the bench for the slightest miscue . You don’t think that creates hesitancy with players, especially the young guys ? Confidence is a major component to success in the league . Heck look at Bemstrom now , compared to 10 games ago . I tend to think that MacLean was brought in as a replacement . He still coaches with some grit, but he understands the offensive game .
I can see your point but respectfully disagree. How do you know he is stapling guys to the bench for the slightest miscue and not because they are making the same mistakes over and over again. I also don't think he coaches afraid. You don't coach at the highest level as long as he has by coaching afraid. As far as Maclean goes, I don't know if I would want him as a replacement. He has only been a head coach for less than 4 seasons and got progressively worse as time went on until he was canned. Some guys are better as assistants.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
“I saw a player on the far end,” Merzlikins said, referring to Blue Jackets captain Nick Foligno, who was behind the play in the neutral zone. “I thought, in that moment, it would be a good idea to cut the (puck between) the two (Winnipeg) players. The first one, yes, but the second one (Copp) caught the puck.

“But on this kind of play, I shouldn’t do it. In my situation, I’m not the No. 1, and I’m not getting many games. I have little opportunities. Messing them up like this is not good for me. I shouldn’t do that. Obviously I’m not going to do it. I got my lesson.”

“I overtried (on Saturday), yes,” Merzlikins said. “But I’m going to keep playing the puck because I’m good at that, and I know that. I practiced a lot when I was a kid on that. A lot of goalie coaches put in effort with me on puck play.

“It’s a good part of me, and I’m not going to change.”

The Blue Jackets’ season has had way too many goaltender apologies this season. Korpisalo has apologized to players and coaches for his stick-bashing response to goals at least twice.

On Saturday, Merzlikins said he addressed the dressing room in the moments after the game,

“I said sorry, because I f***ed up,” Merzlikins said. “I was really sorry. It was important points for us. It would go to overtime … probably would go to overtime, or maybe we would have scored. I felt really sorry, and I’m still sorry. It was the first thing I could say. I couldn’t say anything more.

“Inside the feeling is really bad because you understand that you lost because of you. It’s not a great feeling, but what I learned is the next day you have to move on. Here it is a long season, with a lot of games. You can’t sit and think about it too long.”

Blue Jackets' Elvis Merzlikins explains his late-game gaffe...

Reactions: Fro

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
^Kid who's barely getting any playing time tries to do too much in one of his rare starts in attempting to utilize one of his strengths (puck play) to make a difference late in a close game, a game where his teammates apparently decided to just get it to OT for the loser point. Torts apparently went hard on him on the bench after they pulled him for the extra skater and in the locker room after the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->