GDT: Game 22 - CBJ @ WPG - 23 Nov, 7pm

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
The replay from behind the net made the pass attempt by Elvis even more of a head scratcher. What was he thinking about? Needs to spend some time in Cleveland.

hqdefault.jpg

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Not a good game for the Captain. But interesting to me is when the Captain was out, Torts rolled out 4 lines. With Foligno's return he seems to have gone back to being his default characteristic 3-line Torts playing Bemstrom, Milano and Tex under 10 minutes. While Tex was -3, the other two were even.

Reactions: The Bread Man

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
People are just going off the -4. The only one Nick had a chance to stop was maybe the 1st goal. Of the other three, two were self-destruction by Merzlikins and on one Nick had just stepped on to the ice and wasn't even in the zone yet.

Reactions: Dumais

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I just saw the replays of the goals. Please don't insult minor league goalies by comparing them with Elvis. I have been watching a very possible future NHLer in the nets for Cincinnati (ECHL) and he is so much more technically sound than Elvis that it's not funny.

Maybe Jarmo forgot that he was the GM of the CBJ and not Jokreit when he signed "the best goalie not in the NHL".

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Wtf.... Elvis 3/4 was your fault. He needs to go AHL taking a steps. That was just awful. Elvis cost us 2points and its end of streak.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Merzlikins looks and plays like Merzlikins' fans claim Korpisalo looks and plays. Should spend a bit more time working on his technique and less time letting his tattoo's heal.

This team needs a backup goalie not a starting goalie.

Can we please stop with the Lehner comments, my god, Korpisalo is better and Lehner isn't even a good goalie. He's not better than Lehner you say?..... Well, you same people said he wasn't better than Merzlikins either, so......

Reactions: Monstershockey

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't get it, why can't anyone ask about it? What's this guy's problem?

It’s a Torts defensive mechanism. The media has a right to ask the question, and he has a right to refuse to answer. Him going into detail would probably just end up in him going on a rant about stupid mistakes, so he’s saving himself (and Elvis) the embarrassment.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And to add to my "hate" for certain players, that Werenski turnover on goal 3 was ridiculous, and unfortunately NOT NEW. Lackadaisical is the best word to describe his play. Sure, in theory, running around 100mph all over the ice without thinking is a recipe for disaster, and I'm sure Werenski has a plan each time he appears to be skating or stickhandling at 50-75% speed, but, at some point the execution has to CONSISTENTLY be there for him to get a pass on being the defensive liability he has proven to be over time.

I also continue to dislike the lack of accountability thrown toward Anderson. I cant stand the, "maybe/probably hurt" excuse that only certain players like Werenski and Anderson get. Depending how low his trade value currently is, Jarmo should be looking to move him, imo. He brings the SAME impact offensively (not any more) than that of Jenner and Foligno, and I argue that both of those guys actually have MORE offensive/finishing ability. Top gear/straight line speed is the only thing Anderson has over those guys, and he really is more comparable to Chimera than some would like to believe or admit.

Like Wennberg, I AM NOT impressed by Anderson's defensive ability or awareness. Do not like either guy on the PK. While Wennberg's game and the teams results are hurt because of his lack of aggression and drive to score, IMO Anderson is the complete opposite to him (and Werenski in regards to "slowing the game down") in a bad way. There are many times I notice Anderson on the PK or ES looking to break the other way while not giving a full commitment to the current defensive task. And while Werenski seems to be going 50% too much, Anderson has the problem that he CANT turn things down to 50%. There's no slowing the game down with Anderson. His feet, hands/shooting/passing along with his brain/decision making seems to always be going 150%.

Decent player that very well could be more valuable to other teams than the CBJ, and should be looked at as a "20 goal scorer", more so than "untouchable".

Reactions: Toe Pick

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
And to add to my "hate" for certain players, that Werenski turnover on goal 3 was ridiculous, and unfortunately NOT NEW. Lackadaisical is the best word to describe his play. Sure, in theory, running around 100mph all over the ice without thinking is a recipe for disaster, and I'm sure Werenski has a plan each time he appears to be skating or stickhandling at 50-75% speed, but, at some point the execution has to CONSISTENTLY be there for him to get a pass on being the defensive liability he has proven to be over time.

I also continue to dislike the lack of accountability thrown toward Anderson. I cant stand the, "maybe/probably hurt" excuse that only certain players like Werenski and Anderson get. Depending how low his trade value currently is, Jarmo should be looking to move him, imo. He brings the SAME impact offensively (not any more) than that of Jenner and Foligno, and I argue that both of those guys actually have MORE offensive/finishing ability. Top gear/straight line speed is the only thing Anderson has over those guys, and he really is more comparable to Chimera than some would like to believe or admit.

Like Wennberg, I AM NOT impressed by Anderson's defensive ability or awareness. Do not like either guy on the PK. While Wennberg's game and the teams results are hurt because of his lack of aggression and drive to score, IMO Anderson is the complete opposite to him (and Werenski in regards to "slowing the game down") in a bad way. There are many times I notice Anderson on the PK or ES looking to break the other way while not giving a full commitment to the current defensive task. And while Werenski seems to be going 50% too much, Anderson has the problem that he CANT turn things down to 50%. There's no slowing the game down with Anderson. His feet, hands/shooting/passing along with his brain/decision making seems to always be going 150%.

Decent player that very well could be more valuable to other teams than the CBJ, and should be looked at as a "20 goal scorer", more so than "untouchable".

Of all games to complain about Anderson, I don’t think this is the one to do it. He was a force and finally looked like the Josh Anderson we need. He’s been getting better too.

However I don’t disagree too much with your points at hand. I don’t think his skills can keep up with his wheels.

Last edited:

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
Great. Another one of the Jackets' trademark "Quick! Shit the bed before time runs out!" games.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I don't get it, why can't anyone ask about it? What's this guy's problem?
Because everybody knows exactly what happened. It doesn't have to be explained. Even the most novice hockey fan could see what Elvis did wrong. Rehashing it in the press conference would do no good. I am sure Torts let him know in no uncertain terms not to do that again. My guess is they will find time in Cleveland for him and ge will get select games in Columbus.

Reactions: thebus88

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Even more embarrassing than the turnover from Elvis was the flailing jump save “attempt” on the goal as the puck slid under him while he was in mid-air. I’d have to look back to my peewee hockey days to see a puck go under a jumping goalie.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Even more embarrassing than the turnover from Elvis was the flailing jump save “attempt” on the goal as the puck slid under him while he was in mid-air. I’d have to look back to my peewee hockey days to see a puck go under a jumping goalie.

The only thing the sequence was missing was the Benny Hill theme.

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->