GDT: Game 22: Arizona Coyotes vs Calgary’s Triggered Smitty @ GRA | Sun. 11/25 1:00pm | G-RATED Version

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I half expect players to start requesting trades out of the desert after this embarrassment. It is apparently where hockey careers go to die.

No body is going to ask for a trade. Most of the embarrassment is because of them.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I'm still stuck on this. I think this broke me. I'm now just a sputtering nincompoop. I'm that Simpsons character eating paste from the last GDT (shush you, I know what you're gonna say)
:biglaugh:

Yeah I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. No sane person on this planet thinks our even strength hockey is "fine"

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
:biglaugh:

Yeah I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. No sane person on this planet thinks our even strength hockey is "fine"

Besides not scoring our even strength is fine. Our puck possession is fine, but we find a way to make a mistake and it's in the back of our net. Our PP is costing us dearly, and it cost us the game today, and it's not the first time this year it has.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
He has no history of head coaching success at any level. Maybe head coach is not his strength.

The team started out horrible last year but there was definitely an improvement toward the end of the year. He earned the benefit of the doubt in my opinion. But comments like that scare the hell out of me and it shows a lack of accountability and an unwillingness to change what isnt working.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Game of mistakes, we made a ton of them. Mistakes by Galchenyuk, OEL twice, Goose, Fischer, Raanta twice, one a deflection he should have stopped, and 3 of the goals short handed. I'm way more concerned about our mental mistakes right now than anything else. All the mistakes that lead to goals were by vets except for Fischers missed assignment.

Its been really sloppy play on D and in net the past 2 games. This is a bigger problem than scoring right now. We can't win when we give up 4 goals or more, it won't happen. I suspect part of OEL's play is related to Demers being out and thinking about covering for a less experienced partner. its still OEL's fault though.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Besides not scoring our even strength is fine. Our puck possession is fine, but we find a way to make a mistake and it's in the back of our net. Our PP is costing us dearly, and it cost us the game today, and it's not the first time this year it has.

Uh...... no....... If we’re making this many mistakes our puck possession is not fine.

There were passes going everywhere.... at the skates.... behind the player..... TO the opposing player..... even a few where nobody from either side was at all.

We’re a lineup full of Mikkel Boedkers right now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Uh...... no....... If we’re making this many mistakes our puck possession is not fine.

There were passes going everywhere.... at the skates.... behind the player..... TO the opposing player..... even a few where nobody from either side was at all.

We’re a lineup full of Mikkel Boedkers right now.

Our puck possession is ranked 13th. We just can't score when we get a chance, and one miscue it's in the back of our net. Last night our possession rating was 56%, but like I said, we make a mistake and it's in our net.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Welp, not a lot of folks agreed with me about the concept of an "Arizona Malaise."

Today:

• Coyotes get blown out 6-1 by the Flames, looking like the world's worst mites team;
  • The Roadrunners blow a 6-2 lead in the third period and lose 7-6 in overtime;
  • The Cardinals go from leading 10-7 early to losing 45-10;
  • The Suns - who have won exactly 3 games all season - lost again.
Just saying. :sarcasm:

Also, Rick Tocchet appears to be turning out to be what I thought he was - completely inessential to the success or failure of whatever team he coaches. Hell, even Wayne Gretzky had some damn passion on the bench and he was the worst absentee owner/coach of all time.

Reactions: CBJ goalie

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
By the end of the game I was cheering the 6th Flames goal and boo'ing the Coyotes. My wife says "WTF are you doing, you're embarrassing me?" I say, I hope someone finally gets fired and I won the over 5.5!

Reactions: doaner and SR

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Welp, not a lot of folks agreed with me about the concept of an "Arizona Malaise."

Today:

• Coyotes get blown out 6-1 by the Flames, looking like the world's worst mites team;
  • The Roadrunners blow a 6-2 lead in the third period and lose 7-6 in overtime;
  • The Cardinals go from leading 10-7 early to losing 45-10;
  • The Suns - who have won exactly 3 games all season - lost again.
Just saying. :sarcasm:

Also, Rick Tocchet appears to be turning out to be what I thought he was - completely inessential to the success or failure of whatever team he coaches. Hell, even Wayne Gretzky had some damn passion on the bench and he was the worst absentee owner/coach of all time.

ASU beat U of A yesterday. :D

Reactions: doaner

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I can only hope RT didn't say exactly what he meant and that he feels (as do I), that if the pp comes around, it will bring the needed confidence to 5 on 5 play. The boys are gripping their sticks so tight they currently struggle with nearly every facet of execution.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Our puck possession is ranked 13th. We just can't score when we get a chance, and one miscue it's in the back of our net. Last night our possession rating was 56%, but like I said, we make a mistake and it's in our net.

Doesn’t matter where we are ranked. The eye test tells you our puck possession sucks.

Oh there were times when we looked decent, but that was while we were down 4-0 and Calgary engaged the cruise control for a while and Raanta still got hung out to dry for two more goals. He didn’t even care on the sixth and got pulled.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Doesn’t matter where we are ranked. The eye test tells you our puck possession sucks.

Corsi/Fenwick and such are proxies for possession anyway and not a direct measure of it. Gain zone shoot at net one and done counts as much as a +1 shot attempt as does cycling for 15 seconds to create a great shot. We don't do the latter much/ever.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

BigMac1212

Registered Insominac
Coyotes get blown out 6-1 by the Flames, looking like the world's worst mites team;
The Roadrunners blow a 6-2 lead in the third period and lose 7-6 in overtime;
The Cardinals go from leading 10-7 early to losing 45-10;
The Suns - who have won exactly 3 games all season - lost again.

A better term would be "Sunday, Bloody Sunday."

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->