GDT: Game #21| Feb. 25, 2013|Maple Leafs at Flyers |7:00 p.m. ET

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
There's definitely no defending that play from Kimmo tonight though. He had support coming back, he was all the way back, and he still botched it. Poke-check my foot, he should have run him off with the body. It would have slowed him down enough for Schenn to get the rest of the way back. The only reason to play the stick in that situation is you're avoiding physicality (tired).

On the other hand I did notice accusations that the leaf dove, I'll have to watch it again. Certainly would make sense timing-wise as a make-up call.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
**** has been happening far too often with Kimmo Timonen this year. The way he played to finish last year, he didn't deserve to get a 6M deal for 2013-2014. The way he has played thus far, he doesn't deserve 6M for 2013-2014.

Homer messed up. AGAIN. I don't understand why he couldn't just wait to see if maybe those injuries were going to add up / to make sure that Timonen can still make it through a full NHL season without the caliber of his play slipping.

Maybe we can still trade him though...

Cool. They could have let him walk and begun the experiment of Coburn being the team's number one defenseman. Would that have made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? Realistically, there's not going to be anyone to get in the offseason that can fill the role of a number one, or even the role that Timonen currently plays. Not retaining him would've been an even bigger mistake than paying him 6 million for next season.

His play actually hasn't even been that bad. He's got eleven points in 21 games while still being the most positionally sound defenseman on the roster. He's not the same player as when he first came here, but he's been far and away the best defenseman on the team this season.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Many Flyers fans have become increasingly obsessed with the piece Homer went after in the offseason. I think the obsession is there because we actually thought we had it for a short while, and then we didn't. So now anything less pales that much more in comparison. It's a strange little quirk of the fanbase but it's definitely noticeable.

If they aren't Weber or Suter, they suck. Nevermind the fact that our defensemen are asked to play in arguably the toughest system in the league on defensemen. Constant activation in the offensive zone and aggressive play in the corners of our own zone doesn't do any favors for their long-term stability.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So watched the game at my gfs so aka didnt pay attention haha. How did gus look other then the end of the game blunder? Lavy is playing him alot recently so it could be a good thing for development.

Sadly after the blunder maybe he losses time.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
So watched the game at my gfs so aka didnt pay attention haha. How did gus look other then the end of the game blunder?

Pretty good. Definitely one of the best puck movers out there for either team. You can see him gaining confidence with every game. He didn't hesitate to jump up into the rush when the opportunity was there.

Mgkibbles

Dec 14, 2009
Gilbertsville, Pa
So watched the game at my gfs so aka didnt pay attention haha. How did gus look other then the end of the game blunder? Lavy is playing him alot recently so it could be a good thing for development.

Sadly after the blunder maybe he losses time.

He looked good. Tried forcing a few breakout passes that got knocked away in the neutral zone, also tends to stare down who he's passing too, but the skill level is there, just needs to keep gaining experience. And hopefully that end of game blunder doesn't lose him time because no one else other than maybe Schenn and Grossman deserve more.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Thanks for the replies. So good and bad. Just saw people a few pages back say how ****** he looked. I was kinda glad he was out there with a min or so left since timonen was just out there.

Their also limiting kimos time. I think at 24 giving gus this time can help him greatly.

When he did the blunder i did feel bad. He does that move a 100 times a game and never messes up but wheb he gets trusted he messes up once. Hopefully doesnt kill his confidence and he can learn from it

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I wouldn't make that big a deal about it. There were probably 5 other equally bad plays in that final 3 minutes, just most of those happened with slightly more time to play. Coaches et al are probably than smarter than us and know not to put too much stock into a play when it's "Ok, this is reeeeeaaally our last chance now!"

If they aren't Weber or Suter, they suck.
Well that's the extreme version of the point, but not very fair. Let's say everyone who's not in the top 5 gets an instant drop of 20 spots and call it the Homer Effect.
Cool. They could have let him walk and begun the experiment of Coburn being the team's number one defenseman.
You mean, he's not already? I had assumed he's been our #1 since last season or maybe the playoff before that. Does this require a poll?

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
Cool. They could have let him walk and begun the experiment of Coburn being the team's number one defenseman. Would that have made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? Realistically, there's not going to be anyone to get in the offseason that can fill the role of a number one, or even the role that Timonen currently plays. Not retaining him would've been an even bigger mistake than paying him 6 million for next season.

His play actually hasn't even been that bad. He's got eleven points in 21 games while still being the most positionally sound defenseman on the roster. He's not the same player as when he first came here, but he's been far and away the best defenseman on the team this season.

Newsflash: The salary cap will drop for next season.

I'd have no problems paying anyone $6m if we'd have the space, but Timonen's contract will make it even tougher to get under the cap once again. Nobody who's watched this season would think that Timonen deserves $6m per year. Not this season and probably not next season. If you wait, at least until the playoffs, you can still resign him. But not for $6m. There's no way Timonen would've gotten more than that, he got the absolute max out of this one your deal. Think about it: How much would've he gotten if he dominated this season being top 5 in Norris votes? Yeah, not a lot more than $6m, because he's old.
I'm a big believer in Homer and have often defended him on here, but this was absolutely unnecessary.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Nobody who's watched this season would think that Timonen deserves $6m per year.
Not true and completely false. Look at what Carle ended up getting. People are (very arguably rightly so) mad that Homer didn't take that offer even without the ht discount.

6 is a bunch. 6 is a hell of a lot. But what was available? The market is horrendously skewed due to demand and don't forget about that.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
Not true and completely false. Look at what Carle ended up getting. People are (very arguably rightly so) mad that Homer didn't take that offer even without the ht discount.

6 is a bunch. 6 is a hell of a lot. But what was available? The market is horrendously skewed due to demand and don't forget about that.

Apples and oranges.

Carle signed a long-term deal, which always brings down the cap-hit.
Matt Carle right now wouldn't be worse than Timonen.
Timonen is well past his prime at age 38 when the contract we talk about clicks in. Matt Carle is about to hit his prime. Matt Carle was signed in free agency, Timonen was resigned after 5(?) games into a season with no urgency to make this move at all.
Sooner or later, the Flyers will have to make a trade for a defender. Why not wait to resign Timonen and see what's going to happen.
Just imagine a trade would come along right now in which the Flyers could get a future #1 defender. Now you have Timonen sitting there and clogging up $6m on your payroll which might hinder you to do the trade without having to shake up the roster even more. You'd also have another negotiation argument for a lesser cap-hit for Timonen.
It was not necessary to sign Timonen to this contract so early, period.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
Question re: the Timonen trip? I was half watching at the gym so I may have missed something. We were on the PP, first unit looked to be on the whole time, then a short stint of 5v5 then we get another PP, again first unit goes on. Wouldn't the old man have been a bit tired by that point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad