GDT: Game 21 | Detroit Red Wings @ San Jose Sharks| 10:30 PM EST | FS-D

BazDaSpaz

Sep 7, 2011
What a laser shot by Brunner. The guys clutch. We can't afford to let him walk after this short season. Nice solid game by Gus tonight too. He deserves more games. Off to bed. Nice win by the Wings & YNWA!

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
I have not used my Abdelkader/Cleary/Quincey complaining card yet. Also, I drool at the thought of Pavel playing with Tatar or Nyquist.

Oh, well.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I feel like Brunner is gonna be a guy who is willing to sign for cheap $$ to play for a team that wins/enjoys being on, lock him up.

When is Franzen gonna take the puck to the net and shoot that wicked wrist shot that he has? I havent seen that at all this year and thats how he used to score 75%of his goals...

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
Kronwall another point and +1. He was -9 now he is -4. Why?

Because now Cleary and Abby are up on the 2nd giving him easy points. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, he started off in an aweful fassion but has really picked up his play lately. Not making the same dumb over-creative turn-overs in their own zone, not screening own goalie etc. It shows. Not having Lashoff beside him helps too, of course.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Quincey was okay tonight. He's been OKAY the last couple of games.(Ignoring that awful, awful penalty from last night.) Not nearly as bad as he was a couple of weeks ago. The defense as a whole have been pretty okay to solid.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
When is Franzen gonna take the puck to the net and shoot that wicked wrist shot that he has? I havent seen that at all this year and thats how he used to score 75%of his goals...

I fear that the Franzen that we once knew is all but gone.

He'll still get some goals when he gets the puck in good areas of the ice because of his shot, but the days of him carrying the puck with a purpose and driving to the net to unleash his shot have disappeared. He's soft on the puck now.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
YES!!!

I had to fight off falling asleep at least twice a period but I managed to stay up and the Wings pulled it off.

Yea and it wasn't from being tired, both teams really slooweddown at certain points.

And then Tatar and Andersson get out it's a whole different game!

I wretch seeing Datsyuk, IMO the greatest player in the world stuck with you know who x2. Glorious opportunities that never develop because we are wasting our and his time here in Detroit. I'm finally on the bandwagon- please with all the injuries at least let Tats and Andersson learn from the man! Cleary and Abdelkader can do nothing more with the chances they're being given. The youth could gain a lot more and I guarantee score as much in their place.

By the play Abbie made that caused a goal I thought at first it had to be Datsyuk, only he would I trust to approach 2 defenders at the blue line in such fashion. But nope, stupid turnover that nearly cost us 2 points.

Franzen is a ghost right now. How will he regain some momentum and play the big role expected of him? Is it just a matter of time to get back up to speed?

Kindl took over that 1st period, was enjoyable to watch. Pretty sure he had the 1st shot on net and some nice ones on the PP. He has swagger. I never realized how big a body Quincey is, that is a definite + to his success and part of his confidence.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
^^^

Kindl is very confident with the puck outside of his own end. He skates well with it in the neutral zone and his lateral movement along the offensive blueline might be the best on the team. He still makes some errors around his own zone and he gambles a bit with his pinches though. He looks pretty good though for a guy who can barely crack the lineup.

As far as Datsyuk goes, have we ever in his career see him trust his linemates so little? He quit passing them the puck today. I found it amusing and wish I could have seen Babcock's face after those shifts.

crashman

A couple observation from last nights game...

Gustavsson makes me nervous. He got the win and that's all that matters in the end, but he has an unorthodox style. I've never really payed much attention to him in Toronto, so this was really my first time watching him closely. Maybe it's just because it was his first start? Regardless...so far, so good!

Even though it was a fluky deflected goal, I'm glad Eaves got the credit. He played very well.

As did Tootoo, that penalty called on him was questionable. I honestly NEVER EVER EVER EVER thought I'd consider my self a fan of Tootoo. I hated that guy more than any other player in the NHL, but now I can honestly say that I'm glad he's a Red Wing. I just hope he keeps it clean, but continues to play ever so close to the edge without crossing it.

Z and Brunner were really good. They really do have some unique chemistry.

Datsyuk was playing well but he just didn't get many chances.

Ericsson continues to play pretty solid.

All in all, that was a pretty typical Sharks vs. Wings game. Any time you beat the Sharks it feels good, they've had our number since Todd McLellan took over.

Last edited by a moderator:

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
A couple observation from last nights game...

Gustavsson makes me nervous. He got the win and that's all that matters in the end, but he has an unorthodox style. I've never really payed much attention to him in Toronto, so this was really my first time watching him closely. Maybe it's just because it was his first start? Regardless...so far, so good!

Even though it was a fluky deflected goal, I'm glad Eaves got the credit. He played very well.

As did Tootoo, that penalty called on him was questionable. I honestly NEVER EVER EVER EVER thought I'd consider my self a fan of Tootoo. I hated that guy more than any other player in the NHL, but now I can honestly say that I'm glad he's a Red Wing. I just hope he keeps it clean, but continues to play ever so close to the edge without crossing it.

Z and Brunner were really good. They really do have some unique chemistry.

Datsyuk was playing well but he just didn't get many chances.

Ericsson continues to play pretty solid.

All in all, that was a pretty typical Sharks vs. Wings game. Any time you beat the Sharks it feels good, they've had our number since Todd McLellan took over.

The thing with Gustavsson was that his unorthodox style was his selling point. That terribad Toronto goalie coach was forcing him to do stupid stuff, and I'm guessing Bedard is getting him go back to basics for him.

Aug 6, 2012
Lashoff is NHL-caliber when he's not playing against the top-lines. Glad Babcock finally realized it. Lashoff was pretty impressive last night. Would rather he plays top-pairing minutes in GR though, needs to work on positioning.

I think the Kindl - Smith pairing could actually work. Both guys carry the puck really well and have a physical aspect to their game. I just wish Smith would be a little more aggressive offensively like last year.

Kindl is as strong as I've ever seen him, he's a beast along the boards. The best example was two nights ago when he had an awesome shift defensively against Dustin Brown, just overpowering him multiple times. And he's REALLY composed with the puck, lots of confidence.

If I were Babs I'd roll with this once Flip is healthy:

Flip - Z - Mule
Tats - Pavs - Nose

Kronner - E
Smitty - Kindl
Q - Lashoff

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Interesting factoid from Ansar Khan on Twitter:

From Griffins' Randy Cleves: Thursday was first time ever Wings won a game with defense consisting entirely of ex-Griiffins (continued) ...

Those 6 former Griffins: Kronwall, Ericsson, Quincey, Smith, Kindl, Lashoff.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Hello,

My name is Johan "The Mule" Franzen (I don't know why they call me that, because sometimes I fall down like a 5-year old in a Korn mosh pit, but the ladies seem to think it's cute so I roll with it), and I play professional ice hockey for the NHL's Detroit Red Wings. I understand you might be looking to add a power forward to your roster, and would like to extol the benefits of having me on the team:

- I can make wide-open, tape-to-tape passes very easily;
- I can stand at the opposing blue line and wait very patiently for my team to advance the puck to me;
- I can shoot the puck pretty hard, and almost always scare the crap out of the goalie unless I'm standing within 3 feet of the net -- then the puck sometimes goes in it;
- I can carry the puck into the zone under pressure, and am very willing to give the other team the puck as long as they ask for it politely;
- I'm really good at conserving energy;
- My salary isn't very high, and I'm under contract for a long time (that's good, right?)

If you or someone you know would like to hire me, please contact my agent. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
One positive I took from the game is it looked like Brendan Smith was starting to become more active on the power play. He's a guy who should be a strong performer 5v4 and as far as I can recall that was the first time I've seen him be a positive factor on the power play, even though his play didn't result in a goal. With the way teams tend to sag off the points he seems like he could be a good puck mover who can carry the puck into the high slot area and either shoot or find an open shooter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad