GDT: Game 21 - CBJ vs DET - 21 Nov, 7pm, @Nat

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Sweet, knew were weren't that bad offensively. Now we see how they respond, they should have some confidence.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
If anyone wants to complain about what's happened in the past few games, they can run east until they hit water, then swim.

We knew that this stretch of mostly home games was going to be massively important towards our playoff chances. Well, so far, we've beaten the defending champions, and scored five goals in back-to-back games, both of which saw us win the game in the third period. And climbed above .500 for the first time this year.

Yeah, we've still got issues. We need to clean up the breakaways and stop giving up shorthanded chances. But we're on the right track.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
PLD only played the 6th-most minutes at even strength (forwards only). Torts continues to completely bungle player usage.
I didn't see the game, how was Torts bungling the player usage. Was it really Torts, or was Detroit creating mismatches and maybe forcing Torts not to play PLD as much because he was having trouble who he was matched up with? Who was PLD playing against during the game? Was Detroit short shifting guys to neutralize him? Sometimes matchups change how much time players get in a game. Sometimes they get more time, sometimes less.

Reactions: koteka and thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I didn't see the game, how was Torts bungling the player usage. Was it really Torts, or was Detroit creating mismatches and maybe forcing Torts not to play PLD as much because he was having trouble who he was matched up with? Who was PLD playing against during the game? Was Detroit short shifting guys to neutralize him? Sometimes matchups change how much time players get in a game. Sometimes they get more time, sometimes less.

I think it was more about Milano and Bemstrom not being quite as effective, and several Jackets forwards - Bjorkstrand, Jenner, Robinson, Foligno, Atkinson, all having really good games. Detroit doesn't have the personnel to create matchup problems for anyone (okay Larkin, but he wasn't doing much last night).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think that was the closest Cam has looked to his old self that I've seen in a long time. Looking at the first goal, he actually carried the puck and did some cutbacks until Jones could get open behind the net. How many times have we seen Cam do that this year?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I think it was more about Milano and Bemstrom not being quite as effective, and several Jackets forwards - Bjorkstrand, Jenner, Robinson, Foligno, Atkinson, all having really good games. Detroit doesn't have the personnel to create matchup problems for anyone (okay Larkin, but he wasn't doing much last night).
That makes sense. I didn't think he was bungling the lines, I just wanted to know why darkandstormy was accusing Torts of screwing with PLD's minutes. A lot of things happen in any game that can cause players ice time to go up or down. What you said is probably the exact reason why his time was lower. And really, it wasn't that low. Some people just put stuff out there and don't explain why they are saying it.

Reactions: Dumais

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
That makes sense. I didn't think he was bungling the lines, I just wanted to know why darkandstormy was accusing Torts of screwing with PLD's minutes. A lot of things happen in any game that can cause players ice time to go up or down. What you said is probably the exact reason why his time was lower. And really, it wasn't that low. Some people just put stuff out there and don't explain why they are saying it.

PLD is our best forward, without question. He's proven he can handle tough matchups. Why is Foligno playing 4 and a half more minutes than PLD at 5v5?

Reactions: OldGoaltender

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
It seems to me that Torts is still doing a lot of experimenting with how to make things work. He has pretty much admitted that his original ideas about how the team would fit together have proven to be wrong. Thus, we are starting to see things like Texier being moved to center, Bemstrom and Milano teamed with PLD. More experimentation to follow.

Reactions: Viqsi

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
PLD is our best forward, without question. He's proven he can handle tough matchups. Why is Foligno playing 4 and a half more minutes than PLD at 5v5?
I am thinking the way the game played out, and with Columbus getting the lead in the third, Foligno probably got more time because he is a better at defence and he was needed that way. I didn't see the game but followed along here and on nhl.com, so I am just guessing. I agree offensively PLD is better, but, I don't know if you saw the pregame before the Montreal game, PLD was talking about his line that game and saying it wasn't set up to play defence. So he knows he isn't as good defensively, and the way the Detroit game went, Fligs probably got more time because of his defence. In the Montreal game he was higher in ice time because that game dictated it. The Detroit game just worked out like it did. If anything, I would think Torts loves PLD because he is Torts kind of player.

Reactions: koteka

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Granted Foligno isn't as much a threat in terms of scoring (PLD), and not as good defensively (Wennberg) as some, but no one IMO is as good at forechecking, creating opportunities and stronger on the puck; as our Captain is. He should be up there in ice time with either of them.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'll be sure to give a crap about that if we don't have a big group of forwards have dominating performances like last night. All the guys getting a lot of ice time (though it was pretty flat distribution) were playing really well, including Foligno.

Reactions: Monstershockey

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Granted Foligno isn't as much a threat in terms of scoring (PLD), and not as good defensively (Wennberg) as some, but no one IMO is as good at forechecking, creating opportunities and stronger on the puck; as our Captain is. He should be up there in ice time with either of them.

At least in that game he should have been. He was on his game. He won multiple battles on that first goal. There's nothing to complain about with his performance.

Reactions: Dumais

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->