GDT: Game 21 - CBJ vs DET - 21 Nov, 7pm, @Nat

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The offense seems to have been working lately; will that continue?

Projected lineup per bluejackets.com:
Projected Lineup
(Subject to change)

Sonny Milano - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Emil Bemstrom
Alexandre Texier - Nick Foligno - Cam Atkinson
Eric Robinson - Alexander Wennberg - Josh Anderson
Gustav Nyquist - Boone Jenner - Oliver Bjorkstrand

Zach Werenski - Seth Jones
Ryan Murray - David Savard
Vladislav Gavrikov - Dean Kukan

Joonas Korpisalo (confirmed starter)
Elvis Merzlikins
Scratches: Riley Nash, Scott Harrington

Roster Report: Foligno is eligible to return from a three-game suspension and reenters the lineup in place of Nash. Korpisalo will make his third straight start in net.

redwings.nhl.com doesn't have a preview article; their front page has something that looks like it'd be one, but it links to their Twitter account instead, so **** them.

Scoresheet links (they'll work later tonight):
Game Summary - overall team info
Event Summary - player-specific info

Highlights of the Wings' last game:

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Read an article(maybe it was a tweet?) this morning saying CBJ have had the toughest schedule this season, haven't faced a bottom 10 team until.....tonight.

That being said, being .500 after facing top tier teams for the 1st quarter of the season - not too bad.
Now, THAT being said.....please CBJ, don't take it easy. Keep up the strong play from the last 2 games.

And I'm ok with Korpi getting start - he needs to get hot.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Read an article(maybe it was a tweet?) this morning saying CBJ have had the toughest schedule this season, haven't faced a bottom 10 team until.....tonight.

That being said, being .500 after facing top tier teams for the 1st quarter of the season - not too bad.
Now, THAT being said.....please CBJ, don't take it easy. Keep up the strong play from the last 2 games.

And I'm ok with Korpi getting start - he needs to get hot.
I would add, they have looked competitive against most of those teams. I also think this has a lot to do with certain players underperforming so far this season.

I'm glad Korpi is getting the start, he's earned it.

Reactions: thebus88

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
And why doesn't Elvis need to get hot? The talking points re: Korpisalo make no sense.
Korpi backed up Bob for years, and I imagined learned things from him by watching how he approached the game. Elvis could benefit from a similar situation, hopefully they will start Elvis against teams not on hot streaks (Wings) or tough matchups. Kinda like how other teams tend to play their backups against us. Not a fan of some of the teams they started him with, but in their defense (MGT) they didn't know who was going to take the starter's job until they tested him.

I'm fine with Elvis taking the backup job this year; provide Korpi keeps his average above .910.

EDIT: I guess the wings arent on a hot streak, they should start Elvis...

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
And why doesn't Elvis need to get hot? The talking points re: Korpisalo make no sense.

Because there's not enough game time to get both hot - what's the alternative? Play them every other game? No one gets on a roll like that.
Gotta give the time to Korpi now and he if falters, then give Elvis a chance.

Good point made by Dema....Korpi had to watch Bob for years, and now he gets to apply those lessons.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Korpi in, again. What does Elvis have to do to get a home start?
D&S, please tell me honestly in your heart of hearts you want Korpi to go out there tonight and kill it in a convincing fashion for a third straight win (and that you don't want Korpi to struggle just so Elvis can get more starts). Right now...I am not feeling that from you.

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
D&S, please tell me honestly in your heart of hearts you want Korpi to go out there tonight and kill it in a convincing fashion for a third straight win (and that you don't want Korpi to struggle just so Elvis can get more starts). Right now...I am not feeling that from you.
In my honest opinion. I want both of them to be the starter. I’ve been a Korpi supporter in the past and have one of his jerseys and have always thought he could do the job given the opportunity. I also think Elvis can be a star once he gets his opportunity and I don’t really want it to eventually be with another team. I’m torn but I just really like Elvis’s attitude and mindset. He’s a really marketable guy and Is really liked by the fanbase wherever he plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like the lines. Except Nyquist - Jenner - Bjorkstrand clearly didn't work last game. Those wings scored immediately when Dubois went out there with them in the third. They got stuck in their own end with Jenner.

Tonight I would have done something like:

Nyquist - Dubois - Bemstrom
Texier - Foligno - Bjorkstrand
Robinson - Wennberg - Anderson
Milano - Jenner - Nash

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Torts said he did the opposite of what he was thinking and it worked... some of our guys need to light a fire ie Cam, Andy, Bjork, Wenny.. we would be in good position if they were at their averages let alone actually doing better - Andy needs to bury the next dozen breakaways - pretty confident that the team could catch fire - need solid defense too of course - LETS GO!!!!

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Seems like the perfect game to start Elvis, but with how well Korpi has played I refuse to see it as a huge issue..

Really shouldn't come as a shock.. Torts had Korpi sit for long stretches and when he did get a start it seemed to always be on the road during a b2b ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

I want the team to win, yes. Everyone - including the front office - has said Elvis needs to get more starts. If we're going to try to ride Korpi for awhile, why are they not re-sending Elvis to Cleveland?

This has nothing to do with Korpi, just observing what appears to be gross mismanagement of a young goalie in his first season in North America.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I would like to see Elvis get more time, but if you give a guy your word that he is the starter, then you should play him like one. If he starts faltering you can mix in Elvis. Being in Cleveland, I don't mind if Elvis gets sent here to get some time, but you still want him in Columbus because if Korpisalo has a bad game your going to want to see Elvis, not Kivlenieks. Although if Kiv is there, Korpi may have to take one for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad