GDT: Game 21: Avalanche @ Arizona Pasties - The haunting of the 2015 draft class | 11/23/18 6PM

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
*NHL .500. Fake math.
I absolutely f***ing hate the loser point. There is only one kind of win and one kind of loss. All wins are the same and all losses. Zero need for points of any kind. Your record as a team should be the number of wins you have and the number of losses. That’s it. Those are the only numbers needed. No loser points. No points at all.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Can someone make a Rick Tocchet moves after loss Wheel. Suggested slots: scratch Strome, move Cousins up from 4th line, make random line changes, scratch Panik, do nothing, pretend to do something, give more minutes to your favs, etc..

Reactions: Dead Coyote

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Some complain about the ugly results of recent trades.

Some complain that we need more trades now.

I don't sympathize with either group. Like all of you though, I want this team to play better. No excuses.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Some complain about the ugly results of recent trades.

Some complain that we need more trades now.

I don't sympathize with either group. Like all of you though, I want this team to play better. No excuses.

How are they mutually exclusive? Bad trades sometimes require more trades to undo. The problem is the Coyotes don't have anything desirable that can be thrown overboard. You could play the horse trading game and flip Perlini or Strome for some equally frustrating young player, but the Coyotes haven't done so hot at that lately.

Committing to OEL and doubling-down on the current core was a conscious choice. It has left them with little to show for it because things petered out which was always a possibility. Fischer, Crouse, Perlini, Strome, Dvorak were all supposed to take that next step with good coaching and it hasn't happened. It's not like the team is absolutely abysmal (though it's trending that way after being figured out by Detroit). Guys just don't want to play the way they need to play. They are dead in the water and don't seem super interested in paddling.

If everyone was a pro like Hjalmarssson, this wouldn't be an issue. But you build your roster out with questionable types like Stepan (who was trending down on a contender) and Goligoski (a player teams never seemed to really miss) Demers etc... you reap what you sew.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Our poor drafting continues to haunt us. We really need to sell everybody for a boatload of draft picks and start fresh with the rebuild. Alongside that we need a GM who has built a team from scratch. At this point I really don't care if Tocchet continues as head coach or a new sacrificial lamb is hired. No one can win with the lousy talent level. Keller is meh. Chychrun is meh. Perlini is meh. Strome's pick alone set our team back years. We could have built around Marner.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Trouble with trying to trade their way out of this mess is there is so little trade value. 1/4 of the way into the season and it looks like another lottery level failure. And it is not like they can get a premier UFA next summer to bolster the roster because they have no money.

So what to do?

Come deadline do you sell off any/all vets with value? Stepan for a team needing another 2 way Centre Grabner to a team wanting speed? OEL before the NTC kicks in?

:ha:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
You can't be this bad 5on5 and it seems were applying the insanity method, because we keep doing the same things expecting a different result. It will never happen. Maybe, our coaching staff should play to the strengths of the players rather than expecting them to adhere to a system that clearly is not designed for them.

Reactions: Heldig

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I know a few people have said this already, but John Maclean seriously needs to go, like tomorrow. You can tell when he talks to Tocc on camera sometimes too, that Tocc is like “Wtf is this guy even saying right now?” Beyond that...if Chayka hasn’t already been making a buttload of phone calls to other GM’s then he should be tomorrow morning. I don’t think you need to classify it as hitting the panic button, but it’s just being proactive. Even as wide open as the pacific is right now, this group clearly is not going to have what it takes to get it done.
Perlini...buh-bye. Fischer...buh-bye. Panik...buh-bye. Strome honestly I don’t think has been bad with what he’s been given and I’d give him more time and more opportunity before making a decision on him. Gotta have a shakeup waaaay before the deadline though...waiting until the deadline is a big mistake if you ask me.
Another thing people have already mentioned that is 100% true...our drafting is haunting the shit out of us. The fact that we could have had Marner/Aho or Rantanen/Aho instead of Strome/Fischer makes me want to puke all over myself.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
The only solution is to trade for a big named offensive player. The only legit players we’ve traded for are Hossa and Datsyuk. You know what happened there.

It still legit blows my mind that we refuse to play Gally and Keller together. I’d rather have one line scoring than none at all. Especially when you’re struggling. 1 > 0. Simple math.

This franchise cannot afford to blow it up, or make that said trade. We are playing with the cards we were dealt, and our hand was a 6 in a game of blackjack.

Teams are tight right now, and everyone is hesitant in making a mid season trade. Gotta work through this, gotta make adjustments and work with what we’ve got.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I blame @Katie Connauton for this loss - she gave me the creative inspiration to make this f***ed GDT thread.

Yeah, the thread was awful, sorry. It deserved this game.

Me, I was so tired 2AM, just when the game should start for us Euros. I gave up, went to bed, and dreamt I checked the score when I woke up. It said 6 - 3 to the Avs. Then I woke up, and I thought "I just dreamt that? Well, let's check it out. It can't be that bad, bookies thougth it wasn't given, let's hope?" And of course. As you all know. Result was worse than me being pessimistic. I've watched it all, and it was bad. Some elements of puck-luck there, but when it's consistent, it's not good or bad luck anymore.

Some of these players should be traded. Yeah. Trade OEL. That should help. Should give a lot. Would Avs give Ottawas first-rounder, and a veteran who knows how they turned it around for it? Just go for IQ. Don't have to be a good player, just someone smart. Ask if they could be so kind to receive some of the others while we're at it.

Reactions: doaner

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I was at the game. It was brutal to watch. Soft as daisies this team. It's like watching a girls team play men.
I've said it many times. Chyka likes the analytics but it doesn't measure the intangibles. We have most of our forwards being soft tissue paper types. They simply don't have that compete level.
Crouse didn't play bad. He's willing to mix it up. Richardson and Cousins can too .
If we don't have the puck we are helpless. We are not a counter attack team. All that speed is negated. If the puck goes into the corner most of these guys pee their shorts.
The strome report? He started the game off with two great passes . He finished with a goal. He can play at this level. I watched him carefully out their and his speed is right there with Stepan. He has no acceleration at all. No quickness but his overall skating is probably slightly below average. But he has that ability to see the ice well and belongs at this level.
Overall though this team will not be making the playoffs. You might blame toc but you cant fake toughness in hockey. Give him a different roster and maybe.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Our poor drafting continues to haunt us. We really need to sell everybody for a boatload of draft picks and start fresh with the rebuild. Alongside that we need a GM who has built a team from scratch. At this point I really don't care if Tocchet continues as head coach or a new sacrificial lamb is hired. No one can win with the lousy talent level. Keller is meh. Chychrun is meh. Perlini is meh. Strome's pick alone set our team back years. We could have built around Marner.

The 2015 will haunt AZ for years. Draft lottery bitterness plus 6 guys drafted after Strome that are so much better. Imagine having Marner, Barzal or Boeser instead. McDavid's wingman just isn't cutting it. At least not with the hype of being the 3rd pick in the McEichel draft.

Nice to see him get on the board again last night.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chayka move some players this is embarrassing. Fire your ****ing coaches. Analytics only apply to players?

Who does he move? He made a hundred moves in the off season, so what you see will be what you get. Colorado is a damn fine team with high end talent, but at the same time we were not ready for the start of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad