GDT: Game 20: Vegas Copper Squires @ Arizona Sticky Buddies | 11/21/18 7:00 p.m. MST | FS-A Plus

Marc-Andre Fleury wears...

• Total voters

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I just like what the player could add to our lineup but need to price to work.

I’d be okay with Lucic for the term at about 2 mil per year. Figure he’s going to lose us some games with stupid penalties.

For the sake of argument, Lucic is an upgrade to Panik for sure.

I want Perlini and Strome gone for sure. Ritchie would be a nice add. Sprong would be a good add.

Keller - Galchenyuk - Vinny
Ritchie - Stephan - Sprong
Grabner - Richie - Fischer
Lucic - Cousins - Crouse

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’d probably give Strome until February before I’d actually consider dealing him for Bennett. I like Bennett a lot. Good speed, untapped skill, and when his wires get crossed, the guy is a deranged axe murderer out there. All of that also goes for Ritchie. If Perlini doesn’t get on a hot streak very, very soon, I’d be ready to do that deal.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'd ask for more from Edmonton to get them out of the Lucic deal.
We don't want old, slow, over paid players, that get in trouble from time to time, no on Lucic. We need to be patient with Perlini, he is still young and at least he plays harder than Strome, I notice him without the puck. Also, Panik is ok, he's not the problem and anything we can get for him isn't the solution.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We don't want old, slow, over paid players, that get in trouble from time to time, no on Lucic. We need to be patient with Perlini, he is still young and at least he plays harder than Strome, I notice him without the puck. Also, Panik is ok, he's not the problem and anything we can get for him isn't the solution.

I don't want Lucic either. I just mentioned that Chayka has made the most trades of any GM in the last two years, so like you said, patience is the key here for not only the kids but also for the players we got in trades. Chayka made his bed here so we have to let it play out to at least the TD.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I know you have a blind eye when it comes to Strome, and I'm probably on the other side of the fence with him, but it's time to look at everything, not only your eye test. Against the Knights Strome had 70% possession rating, ( It's no wonder the opposition doesn't score when he is on the ice) second highest on the team as Crouse was #1, and these guys were on the same line that game. Strome was 57% in the dot, Richardson was first with 74%. Strome had 2 SOG, 1 BLK shot and 1 TKA with 0 GVA. The only thing that Strome is not doing is putting up points which is hard to do playing with lesser talent and minutes. Besides points, what more can you ask of the kid. In my opinion, the only thing Strome is missing is consistency and he has to be more aggressive, but we forget, he has only played 46 NHL games. Now, let's look at Chucky and Stepan's game last night. The eye test said they played great, but Stepan who scored two goals was a -1, and a possession rate of 43%, and Chucky had a possession rate of a whopping 27% and was -1. Their lines were chasing the puck all night. We all know that Keller is our best forward, but his possession was only 47% because he was saddled on the Stepan line. You are not going to win many games when your best player is on a line that doesn't have possession of the puck most of the time. Many on this board is saying Keller is in a slump, but when your line doesn't have the puck it's becomes much clearer. In his presser RT said we need individuals to play better, but if players aren't playing good together why not change the lines. I don't think we played a terrible game, had a bit of bad luck, but maybe RT has to coach better.

Reactions: azcanuck

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
While searching for possession stats I found this. Maybe some of you have seen it before, but it's new to me. Interesting take that combines stats to forecast success.

luckAnalysisChart.png

LEGEND
BUBBLE HORIZONTAL POSITION
The x-axis measures puck possession and uses USAT% as the metric. USAT% is computed by finding what fraction of all unblocked shot attempts in games were generated by the team in question. A USAT% value greater than 50% suggests that a team is consistently outshooting their opponents.
BUBBLE VERTICAL POSITION
The y-axis measures luck at even-strength hockey and uses SHSV% as the metric. SHSV% is computed by using a team's even-strength shooting percentage and adding it to the team's even-strength save percentage (multiplied by 1000). Teams with values that stray significantly from 1000 are having their results influenced by luck.
BUBBLE SIZE
The size of each bubble measures the even-strength shooting percentage of a team. The league average value is 7.7%.
BUBBLE COLOR
The color of each bubble measures the even-strength save percentage of a team. The league average value is 0.923.
DASHED WHITE LINE
Historically, teams above the dashed white line are the most likely to qualify for the playoffs.

NHL Possession and Luck Charts | leftwinglock.com

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I know you have a blind eye when it comes to Strome, and I'm probably on the other side of the fence with him, but it's time to look at everything, not only your eye test. Against the Knights Strome had 70% possession rating, ( It's no wonder the opposition doesn't score when he is on the ice) second highest on the team as Crouse was #1, and these guys were on the same line that game. Strome was 57% in the dot, Richardson was first with 74%. Strome had 2 SOG, 1 BLK shot and 1 TKA with 0 GVA. The only thing that Strome is not doing is putting up points which is hard to do playing with lesser talent and minutes. Besides points, what more can you ask of the kid. In my opinion, the only thing Strome is missing is consistency and he has to be more aggressive, but we forget, he has only played 46 NHL games. Now, let's look at Chucky and Stepan's game last night. The eye test said they played great, but Stepan who scored two goals was a -1, and a possession rate of 43%, and Chucky had a possession rate of a whopping 27% and was -1. Their lines were chasing the puck all night. We all know that Keller is our best forward, but his possession was only 47% because he was saddled on the Stepan line. You are not going to win many games when your best player is on a line that doesn't have possession of the puck most of the time. Many on this board is saying Keller is in a slump, but when your line doesn't have the puck it's becomes much clearer. In his presser RT said we need individuals to play better, but if players aren't playing good together why not change the lines. I don't think we played a terrible game, had a bit of bad luck, but maybe RT has to coach better.
I hate these new stats I wouldn't put much in them.

I do agree you just need to stay the course with Strome to see how far his ceiling is. Don't kill his confidence. He has some major deficiencies but I hope to see him turning into a poor man's Jason Spezza.

It's very true Keller needs to step it up. Do we have a budding superstar here? he is not playing well. He needs to have the puck to be effective and use his speed. He is useless in most all other areas of the game.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I hate these new stats I wouldn't put much in them.

I do agree you just need to stay the course with Strome to see how far his ceiling is. Don't kill his confidence. He has some major deficiencies but I hope to see him turning into a poor man's Jason Spezza.

It's very true Keller needs to step it up. Do we have a budding superstar here? he is not playing well. He needs to have the puck to be effective and use his speed. He is useless in most all other areas of the game.

Stats are just part of the equation, but to rely on only the eye test is wrong. While you hate stats, more and more teams are using them more and more, so there is something to them.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Stats are just part of the equation, but to rely on only the eye test is wrong. While you hate stats, more and more teams are using them more and more, so there is something to them.

And we know GMJC loves stats. I'd love to see his notes evaluating each players performance.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I’d probably give Strome until February before I’d actually consider dealing him for Bennett. I like Bennett a lot. Good speed, untapped skill, and when his wires get crossed, the guy is a deranged axe murderer out there. All of that also goes for Ritchie. If Perlini doesn’t get on a hot streak very, very soon, I’d be ready to do that deal.

I'm not even sure Calgary would do that deal at this point. We'd have to bank on Maloney still liking Strome a LOT and pushing Tre to do the deal. Bennett seems to have turned a bit of a corner this year as well (not offensively, though).

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Look no further than the lines they are matched up AGAINST. Switch that and you would have very different stats, stats that would flip and then some.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Look no further than the lines they are matched up AGAINST. Switch that and you would have very different stats, stats that would flip and then some.
Maybe, maybe not. It's not working the way it is at the moment. I'm not saying put the fourth line up against other teams top lines, rather putting a kid or two on the top line instead of a Panik or a Cousins. Keller your best forward struggled when on the Chucky's line so RT put him back with Stepan because of their success last year, but Keller has but one point the last five games and two in his last seven, and Stepan three points in the last seven. I'm not sure what the answer is but if your first line can't score and has continually has a possession rating of less than 50% you won't win many games.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Maybe, maybe not. It's not working the way it is at the moment. I'm not saying put the fourth line up against other teams top lines, rather putting a kid or two on the top line instead of a Panik or a Cousins. Keller your best forward struggled when on the Chucky's line so RT put him back with Stepan because of their success last year, but Keller has but one point the last five games and two in his last seven, and Stepan three points in the last seven. I'm not sure what the answer is but if your first line can't score and has continually has a possession rating of less than 50% you won't win many games.
Then the question becomes: Do we want to develop, or win? I'm pretty certain we would do neither in your scenario.RT has shown to be a lot more savvy than I originally thought and I believe when Strome is ready, he'll move up. His game is improving - patience.

Reactions: CLW

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Then the question becomes: Do we want to develop, or win? I'm pretty certain we would do neither in your scenario.RT has shown to be a lot more savvy than I originally thought and I believe when Strome is ready, he'll move up. His game is improving - patience.

Our first line has 5 pts. total in the last seven games. That is not good enough. As a coach you have to change it up, try something different. It may not work either, but to sit on your hands and hope they break out is wrong. I believe this team is much better than what they showed the last few games and every single player can play better.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Our first line has 5 pts. total in the last seven games. That is not good enough. As a coach you have to change it up, try something different. It may not work either, but to sit on your hands and hope they break out is wrong. I believe this team is much better than what they showed the last few games and every single player can play better.

We still haven't had a first line since JR centered it. They could put together a decent second line with say Keller, Stepan and Galchenyuk but that's it because Strome is banned from getting a chance on an offensive line. The Richardson line is probably the 1st line in Tocc's mind and that's the problem. We can't score. I still don't think Galchenyuk is a center but maybe it's just the curse this team has. I didn't think Domi was a center either so of course he's playing better than any center we've ever drafted now that he's gone. Sometimes it's extremely painful being a fan of this team.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
It's not Strome's fault that the first line sucks. I think trying to make Strome into something he is not at this point is not going to help anyone. Let Tocc develop him and hopefully we have a real player a couple of seasons from now.

I'm not sure what Perlini brings. The way he plays with seemingly little awareness of his linemates he needs to be a sniper, but he hasn't shown the natural goal hunger and talent at sniping the real snipers have. Maybe he simply lacks a talented set up guy.

Looking at our forward roster we have a hodgepodge of talent but no real structure - exactly what we see on the ice. Our best paid players are not very good, nor very bad, and our up and coming talent are not ready to carry the games for us. We win some games when we get the breaks and have puck luck, but we are not nearly strong enough to dominate our way to wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->