Post-Game Talk: Game #20: Ducks 3, Canucks 1 - Petition to move into Metropolitan division

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Funny how the Sedins have a couple games off and people are questioning their abilities. It's disgusting really. I guess their start to the season means nothing now since they haven't registered a point the last two games, it only makes sense.

Then the questioning of them being unable to play against tougher competition....yeah that secondary scoring sure takes off a lot of pressure. Maybe if they had support, and weren't producing, people could make a case...until then....

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Who cares if they haven't for 2 games. Henrik put up points in what, 12 consecutive games before that? You're not going to score and be a plus player 82 games a year.

I would be more concerned with Alex Burrows than I would the twins. You have to wonder what type of production you'll get out of Burrows if Kesler remains on the 1st line. Burrows is almost making Sedin money now too - he should be able to carry a 2nd line. Hopefully he finds his scoring touch, sooner than later.
So far, he's been the glue that holds the second line together.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Who cares if they haven't for 2 games. Henrik put up points in what, 12 consecutive games before that? You're not going to score and be a plus player 82 games a year.

I would be more concerned with Alex Burrows than I would the twins. You have to wonder what type of production you'll get out of Burrows if Kesler remains on the 1st line. Burrows is almost making Sedin money now too - he should be able to carry a 2nd line. Hopefully he finds his scoring touch, sooner than later.

I'm not concerned about the twins long-term. Never was. I'm just commenting on this game (and last).

Burrows I see going the same way as Kesler on the 2nd line: He's not going to be able to do it alone.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
This team is exactly where I'd thought they'd be at the beginning of the season.

Middle of the pack in a brutal Pacific Division and Western conference.

Right now, looking at a 7 or 8th seed as I see them behind San Jose, Anaheim and LA; battling Phoenix for a playoff spot.

Team just doesn't have the depth to compete on a nightly basis.

Also, the Sedins and Kesler will be done by seasons end if this keeps up. I know Torts road his horses to a Cup but they were much younger (Lecavalier-23, Richards-23, St.Louis-28 and Boyle-27).

I hope this tempers people's expectations alittle.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
This game gives no one a reason to say this team is a "one line team". Absolutely none. It was the top line that got shutdown and scored against. The top line that failed to convert on the PP. Does it then make sense to say that they were carrying the team and no one else followed? No. It's the exact opposite. But it won't stop the faulty narratives from popping up...

And the lack of finish was most prevalent on the top line. Trade the top line then? Man, it's just whatever mind numbing narrative people can come up with these days. It's lose game, prop up old agenda in PGT. Rinse and repeat.

Well if when our top line gets shut down only Tom Sestito can score, then yes, I'd say that reinforces the fact that we have trouble coming up with scoring outside of our first line(although the observation is obviously not based solely on this game). Being a one line team doesn't mean that line always produces, but it does mean that when it doesn't produce that you will have a lot more trouble outscoring your opponent than if you have two solid lines that can score on a regular basis, so even if one line goes cold(as the Sedin line has been these past couple of games) you still have solid scoring support behind them.

No line produces all the time, even the almighty Beast Modo, despite how you claimed before that because Beast Modo is so good that we can get by with a subpar second line.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This team is exactly where I'd thought they'd be at the beginning of the season.

Middle of the pack in a brutal Pacific Division and Western conference.

Right now, looking at a 7 or 8th seed as I see them behind San Jose, Anaheim and LA; battling Phoenix for a playoff spot.

Team just doesn't have the depth to compete on a nightly basis.

Also, the Sedins and Kesler will be done by seasons end if this keeps up. I know Torts road his horses to a Cup but they were much younger (Lecavalier-23, Richards-23, St.Louis-28 and Boyle-27).

I hope this tempers people's expectations alittle.

There's nothing really that you post that can't be taken with a grain of salt.

And to act like they haven't been competitive on most nights is laughable.

SJ just lost to the Jets btw. I bet you saw that coming as well.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
4 games in 5 nights against top flight competition, 2nd game in less than 24 hours, and an entire forward line out. At some point, something had to give. Generated chances, couldn't finish. Team can't buy a goal. Any puck luck is all bad. I ain't even mad.

Bloody typical how the doom and gloom crowd comes out.

The only thing really worrying me is the PP. That has to be fixed. Split up the twins, Garrison always on the 1st unit.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Well if when our top line gets shut down only Tom Sestito can score, then yes, I'd say that reinforces the fact that we have trouble coming up with scoring outside of our first line. Being a one line team doesn't mean that line always produces, but it does mean that when it doesn't produce that you will have a lot more trouble outscoring your opponent than if you have two solid lines that can score on a regular basis, so even if one line goes cold(as the Sedin line has been these past couple of games) you still have solid scoring support behind them.

No line produces all the time, even the almighty Beast Modo, despite how you claimed before that because Beast Modo is so good that we can get by with a subpar second line.

Just wow. So Henrik goes 12 game point streak, beastmodo rips through the competition, get shut down for 2 games = line isn't good. Give your head a shake. My claim was proven, much to your chagrin.

You will never form a line as good as beast modo to "score on a regular basis". I don't think you understand the talent that is on that line. It's elite. To match it, you will have to have an elite 1st line playing second line minutes. Good luck.

Let's break this down again: 1st line doesn't score at ES, gets outscored, fails to score on the PP, secondary scoring comes through in what was a 1-0 game (Sestito), the answer: "this is a one line team guys". Perfect, flawless logic.

Last edited:

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Watched this live and have the following observations:

- Hamhuis continues to look lost at times in every zone.
- One unlucky bounce again leads to our demise (opening goal).
- Burrows can't buy a goal.
- We need secondary scoring so very badly.
- The Honda Center is awesome, parking is great, food is reasonably priced (as were the tickets).

I am now 0-for-3 on live games this year... I hate watching losses live!

What? That place is a dump in a horrible location.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
There's nothing really that you post that can't be taken with a grain of salt.

And to act like they haven't been competitive on most nights is laughable.

SJ just lost to the Jets btw. I bet you saw that coming as well.

Point out where I said they weren't competitive. That's laughable as you are obviously twisting my words.

If you think this team doesn't lack depth then you're delusional.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Just wow. So Henrik goes 12 game point streak, beastmodo rips through the competition, get shut down for 2 games = line isn't good. Give your head a shake. My claim was proven, much to your chagrin.

You will never form a line as good beast modo to "score on a regular basis". I don't think you understand the talent that is on that line. It's elite. To match it, you will have to have an elite 1st line playing second line minutes. Good luck.

Let's break this down again: 1st line doesn't score at ES, gets outscored, fails to score on the PP, secondary scoring comes through in what was a 1-0 game (Sestito), the answer: "this is a one line team guys". Perfect, flawless logic.

Why are you making up things I never said? When did I say Beast Modo isn't good? It's a fantastic line, but any line, even the best line in the league, will go cold at times. That doesn't mean the team should just give up and lose just because the top line isn't producing.

The whole idea about transitioning away from a one line team is so that we aren't reliant on one line producing in order to win, no matter how good that line is.

Outside99*

^ Tanev had a good game - joined the rush a few times, drew a penalty, stymied Anaheim in transition time and time again. Was often out there with the weaker lines. Unfortunate penalty.

Among the other D, Bieksa of course was a stud, Hamhuis on balance was good. Edler and Garrison were just ok which is not good enough. Stanton struggled early on then settled down.

I actually thought the 4th line outplayed the 3rd. They all did well. Best game as a Canuck for Dalpe, there is hope there yet.

Disappointed in the PP. Also that nobody from the bottom 6 was given a chance in the top 6 - we have 1 goal for each of last 2 games.

Minus is misleading. 1st GA was luck, maybe Garrison could have done something. 2nd GA was the result of an unfortunate line change and excellent 3 on 2 play by the Ducks.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Why are you making up things I never said? When did I say Beast Modo isn't good? It's a fantastic line, but any line, even the best line in the league, will go cold at times. That doesn't mean the team should just give up and lose just because the top line isn't producing.

The whole idea about transitioning away from a one line team is so that we aren't reliant on one line producing in order to win, no matter how good that line is.

The team didn't give up and lose. They outshot ANA by nearly 2:1 margin. Sesito tied the game up late into the 2nd period, in a 1-0 game. Based on the information provided, what is more reasonable: That the Canucks primary scoring failed them or their secondary scoring? The information to me clearly points to the primary scoring not coming through. Sestito did the job for the secondary scoring in a tight game.

Also, you made up something I never said in "subpar 2nd line". I said regular 2nd line + elite 1st line is a good enough combo. Beastmodo has been elite. Check. 2nd line has produced at a 2nd line rate. Check. What you want is a 1st line backing beastmodo. That's the premise of your argument.

Question: Is ANA a cup contender? If so, who do they have on their 2nd line? DSP-Perrault-Selanne? If not, they're doing pretty damned good for not being one. They also stack their top line.

Last edited:

bure 96

Sep 6, 2013
I have an idea to improve the PP. Voluntarily take off one guy and go 4-on-4 for the PP. Canucks are beasts in OT.

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
What? That place is a dump in a horrible location.

I am staying right close to disneyland (rental home), so the drive was less than 10 minutes... My tickets allowed me to park in the VIP section and I had first row (Row A) in the 300 section... I had a personal server with a $10 food/beverage credit on a trio of tickets I paid $50 per!

I had a solid time... My season tickets at Rogers Arena are not nearly as good, and there is zero chance I drive to the arena in Vancouver.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Funny how the Sedins have a couple games off and people are questioning their abilities. It's disgusting really. I guess their start to the season means nothing now since they haven't registered a point the last two games, it only makes sense.

Then the questioning of them being unable to play against tougher competition....yeah that secondary scoring sure takes off a lot of pressure. Maybe if they had support, and weren't producing, people could make a case...until then....

So the only way to complain about the Sedins production is if our 3rd and 4th liners are scoring at 20 goal/season clips? In otherwords, we can never complain about the Sedins productions. :laugh:

We finally hit our first real tests of the season and went 1-2-1.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
The team didn't give up and lose. They outshot ANA by nearly 2:1 margin. Sesito tied the game up late into the 2nd period, in a 1-0 game. Based on the information provided, what is more reasonable: That the Canucks primary scoring failed them or their secondary scoring? The information to me clearly points to the primary scoring not coming through. Sestito did the job for the secondary scoring in a tight game.

Also, you made up something I never said in "subpar 2nd line". I said regular 2nd line + elite 1st line is a good enough combo. Beastmodo has been elite. Check. 2nd line has produced at a 2nd line rate. Check. What you want is a 1st line backing beastmodo. That's the premise of your argument.

The primary scoring failed, obviously, as did the 2nd line scoring. But seeing as we know that Beast Modo is a great line and will produce far more often than not, it makes much more sense to address the 2nd line which is a lot more questionable in terms of how consistently they bring offense.

Subpar simply means below average.

Boston
Pittsburgh
San Jose
Colorado
Toronto
Chicago
Tampa Bay
Los Angeles
Minnesota
St. Louis
New York Islanders
Montreal
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Ottawa

All teams off the top of my head that have better 2nd lines than Higgins-Santorelli-Burrows. And if we look at only playoff teams we match up even worse.

Question: Is ANA a cup contender? If so, who do they have on their 2nd line? DSP-Perrault-Selanne? If not, they're doing pretty damned good for not being one. They also stack their top line.

No, I don't consider them a cup contender, and they are just as prone to a failure to produce by the top line as we are. If Corey Perry had been playing cold as well, then I highly doubt they'd have won this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad