Post-Game Talk: Game #20: Ducks 3, Canucks 1 - Petition to move into Metropolitan division

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
He was -2 yesterday as well. Anyone seeing a trend here?

I see a trend. Daniel Sedin isn't as good when playing injured as he is when healthy. I've seen the same trend with Kesler in the playoffs as well.

Not sure how you can say the Sedins can't excel against good players when they go up against the oppositions best every night and are +30 every year...

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The same thing LA and San Jose have: promising youth.

To what effect? Is the youth coming together to create lines that are of a higher calibre than what the Canucks are icing? If not, then their still a one line team as well, if we want to follow this faulty narrative. If so, then how did the Canucks just outshoot this team by an almost 2:1 margin?

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
For the last two games,I've been seeing hamhuis trying to become a puck mover, but fails every time. The one in LA led to a two on one chance which brought it to 5-1. I think torts is misusing hamhuis. Hamhuis should stick to what he does best and that's shutdown hockey.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Okay, thanks for pointing that out to me. How about the playoffs?

Since 2008, Henrik has 32 points in 26 games against top 4 Western seeds in the playoffs.

You've concocted a false narrative that has little factual basis. And even if the Sedins do perform better against weaker teams, so what? Everyone does and that's why those teams lose so many games.

B4NND1T*

Gillis needs to do something, we need a scorer or impact forward bad. Guys like Hossa, Richards and Carter, Horton were difference makers, I'm sick of Gillis doing nothing to address needs when the team struggles. If you aren't going to make an impact to the team and sign guys like Marco Sturm and 4th liners in Brad Richardson, then leave. I'd rather see a rebuild and complete rebranding of this franchise than toiling in mediocrity and Gillis sitting on his ass. Tanev couldn't score in a whorehouse, package him for a finisher. This is getting ridiculous.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
For the last two games,I've been seeing hamhuis trying to become a puck mover, but fails every time. The one in LA led to a two on one chance which brought it to 5-1. I think torts is misusing hamhuis. Hamhuis should stick to what he does best and that's shutdown hockey.

^this

it's what also burned us in the LA series... two key goals against where Hamhuis simply failed to be a good puck mover.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I see a trend. Daniel Sedin isn't as good when playing injured as he is when healthy. I've seen the same trend with Kesler in the playoffs as well.

Not sure how you can say the Sedins can't excel against good players when they go up against the oppositions best every night and are +30 every year...

They can, but they haven't the last two games. Playoffs, who knows? They've had mixed results.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Lack of execution is a big key to what costed us from atleast getting a point.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Since 2008, Henrik has 32 points in 26 games against top 4 Western seeds in the playoffs.

You've concocted a false narrative that has little factual basis. And even if the Sedins do perform better against weaker teams, so what? Everyone does and that's why those teams lose so many games.

Great post.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
This "we're a one line time" stuff is garbage. Henrik was a -2 this game. Sestito provided secondary offense. It wasn't that the team had only one line not producing, it was that line didn't produce _and_ hurt the team by getting scored on twice. It's the defense of the top line that cost the Canucks the game.

Man, some people will just whatever excuse to push a narrative. The top two lines pressed and pressed. Generated a big disparity in shots, but could not finish. It wasn't the first line leading the charge and no one following suite.

I don't understand why you think that one goal of secondary offense is adequate.

I think it's more than reasonable to expect the team not to lose just because they gave up 2 goals. We should be scoring more than 2 goals a game more often than not if we intend to be competitive.

I am glad that you recognize the lack of finishing ability in the top-6 though.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012

yeah, have no idea what he's still doing on the top PP unit

it's obviously not working and it's putting too much pressure on him to play shutdown minutes and contribute offensively too

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Gillis needs to do something, we need a scorer or impact forward bad. Guys like Hossa, Richards and Carter, Horton were difference makers, I'm sick of Gillis doing nothing to address needs when the team struggles. If you aren't going to make an impact to the team and sign guys like Marco Sturm and 4th liners in Brad Richardson, then leave. I'd rather see a rebuild and complete rebranding of this franchise than toiling in mediocrity and Gillis sitting on his ass. Tanev couldn't score in a whorehouse, package him for a finisher. This is getting ridiculous.

I get what you're trying to say but the Tanev and Richardson examples are brutal. Richardson has been an awesome fourth liner and if you expect Tanev to be scoring goals for us then yes we are in trouble.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
also if we're not putting edler out in offensive situations what's the point of even having him, trade him for some scoring help if he's just being used as a 2nd pairing dman

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

I hope daniel takes some maintenance days or is given some maintenance days until thursday.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't understand why you think that one goal of secondary offense is adequate.

I think it's more than reasonable to expect the team not to lose just because they gave up 2 goals. We should be scoring more than 2 goals a game more often than not if we intend to be competitive.

I am glad that you recognize the lack of finishing ability in the top-6 though.

This game gives no one a reason to say this team is a "one line team". Absolutely none. It was the top line that got shutdown and scored against. The top line that failed to convert on the PP. Does it then make sense to say that they were carrying the team and no one else followed? No. It's the exact opposite. But it won't stop the faulty narratives from popping up...

And the lack of finish was most prevalent on the top line. Trade the top line then? Man, it's just whatever mind numbing narrative people can come up with these days. It's lose game, prop up old agenda in PGT. Rinse and repeat.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
too much panic? a trade can't just happen two team need to agree and how can you get a impact forward without costing a pick/prospect?

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
also if we're not putting edler out in offensive situations what's the point of even having him, trade him for some scoring help if he's just being used as a 2nd pairing dman

Seems like hamhuis' and edler's role are mixed up. Not saying I agree on trading edler though.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Overall a good effort. Thought they outplayed Anaheim but couldn't get a bounce. However, Ducks do a great job of blocking shots and getting their stick in the lanes. Very defensively sound and while they let Vancouver do a lot around the fringes really tough to work the puck into the slot. Frustrating game against a team that just wants to keep it defensively tight and attack of your mistakes.

The Good

Sestito - probably based here on expectations as much as play. But he was effective he creating some physical presence and jamming around in front of the net. Whole 4th/ 3rd??? line had some decent shifts and looks to be taking on at least some personality.

Bieksa - Pushed the play as much as he good. Have to love the heart. Mistakes for sure, but he was again the the Canuck best player

Burrows - dogged effort however needs to start scoring. Must be back with the Sedins

Lack - played another solid game. Other goalie looked super but Lack couldn't be faulted for anything. Garrison had to take the body with Perry on the first goal instead of just puck watching . He takes Perry's stick and there is no way he can reach around for the shot

The Bad

Kesler - clear at the end that Kesler has lost a step. Just way too many turnovers. Play keeps dieing on his stick

Tanev - his down low play in his own end is getting disturbing. Wear and tear of the season is catching up on him. Gets into games with big strong teams and he starts getting exposed. Big down turn in his play recently

The Ugly

Kassian - if he doesn't start playing better the Canucks are going to have to fess up to very bad trade. Looks clueless and and either he is lazy or simply confused. Does not appear to be quick enough mentally to anticipate much. Skates aimlessly into traps or glides right out of the play. Seems totally lost in coverage in his own end and plays extremely soft.

At any rate, team is thru a difficult part of the season and still in relatively decent playoff position. However, needs to get off the slide it is on quickly

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
hqdefault.jpg

i've decided to bring in a few ringers. professional goalscorers. we'll give them token jobs at the PNE and have them play on our hockey team.

1986-87.jpg

mike bossy

605955.jpg

brett hull

hull.jpg

bobby hull

joe-malone-1911-12-c55.jpg

and phantom joe malone.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
They can, but they haven't the last two games. Playoffs, who knows? They've had mixed results.

Who cares if they haven't for 2 games. Henrik put up points in what, 12 consecutive games before that? You're not going to score and be a plus player 82 games a year.

I would be more concerned with Alex Burrows than I would the twins. You have to wonder what type of production you'll get out of Burrows if Kesler remains on the 1st line. Burrows is almost making Sedin money now too - he should be able to carry a 2nd line. Hopefully he finds his scoring touch, sooner than later.

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
Watched this live and have the following observations:

- Hamhuis continues to look lost at times in every zone.
- One unlucky bounce again leads to our demise (opening goal).
- Burrows can't buy a goal.
- We need secondary scoring so very badly.
- The Honda Center is awesome, parking is great, food is reasonably priced (as were the tickets).

I am now 0-for-3 on live games this year... I hate watching losses live!

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

he's clearly being misused on the pp. but according to torts he "settles" things down on the powerplay. for whatever that means... yes i agree needs to play shutdown hockey. he's not a puckmover.. only edler/bieska are the ones moving the puck. why is edler on the 2nd unit.?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->