GDT: Game 20: Canada Vs Czech Republic | 1PM EST 7PM CET | CAN 7 - 2 CZE

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That's a fantastic interview, imagine that with tsn and Team Canada?
No nothing close to that would occur sadly.

People would go crazy because they’re just kids.

I kind of agree.

I wouldn’t mind seeing that kind of thing in the NHL or with the senior teams.

Reactions: wacko2

blindpass

May 7, 2010
He was making into into some peculiar to the Canadian psyche behaviour when any common sense should preclude a person from doing that, we all know sports especially when countries are involved can drive some folks crazy.
There are undoubtedly differences in how different groups react, based on many factors. Expectations would be a big one. Nothing common sense about doubting this at all. With respect to hockey, Canada may be an extreme, though my specific claim was much narrower: Canada (in 2019) would not exalt or excuse a player in the WJC for throwing back their silver medal. This is of course an opinion, you might disagree, but I'm pretty confident in it.

Looking to pin "failure" on individuals is probably more common. I think that comes from unrealistic expectations mostly and as such it is worse in Canada where people feel anything less than gold is complete failure.

To be clear I'm saying two different things here. We are for the good harsh on inappropriate behavior, and for the bad too harsh when it comes to scapegoating individuals.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
There are undoubtedly differences in how different groups react, based on many factors. Expectations would be a big one. Nothing common sense about doubting this at all. With respect to hockey, Canada may be an extreme, though my specific claim was much narrower: Canada (in 2019) would not exalt or excuse a player in the WJC for throwing back their silver medal. This is of course an opinion, you might disagree, but I'm pretty confident in it. Nor should we.

Looking to pin "failure" on individuals is probably more common. I think that comes from unrealistic expectations mostly and as such it is worse in Canada where people feel anything less than gold is complete failure.
What can I say? I disagree. I can refute that with the Sweden salt lake fiasco also, one name....................Tommy Salo.

yeah the whole team caught flack, but to this day that guy isn't remembered with fondness over there, he caught living hell.

This stuff goes on all over the world when it means so much to them, suicides have been known to happen in Brazil when they have failed to win the World cup, in Columbia their player was actually shot and killed for the crime of an own goal which ousted them from the world cup.

Let that sink in for a moment...................murdered.

Your case simply isn't very strong, and again, I am not insulting you here, just stating what clearly is.

wacko2

Dec 28, 2019
various
People would go crazy because they’re just kids.

I kind of agree.

I wouldn’t mind seeing that kind of thing in the NHL or with the senior teams.

My son's a kid.....he's 7, these hockey players are smart young men quite capable of answering a point blank blunt question.

At least id hope they are.

Your right though, it'd be fantastic to see this in the NHL broadcast.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
My son's a kid.....he's 7, these hockey players are smart young men quite capable of answering a point blank blunt question.

At least id hope they are.

Your right though, it'd be fantastic to see this in the NHL broadcast.
What answer so you expect? I'm general you are talking about a performance issue, not thought out actions. Presumably if they could do better they would, but they are treading fine lines in a physical game.

Things like headbutting or after the whistle penalties are more about composure and preparation. I still don't think the question is very useful, as if players and coaches aren't aware of the issues without fans and media.

Last edited:

blindpass

May 7, 2010
What can I say? I disagree. I can refute that with the Sweden salt lake fiasco also, one name....................Tommy Salo.

yeah the whole team caught flack, but to this day that guy isn't remembered with fondness over there, he caught living hell.

This stuff goes on all over the world when it means so much to them, suicides have been known to happen in Brazil when they have failed to win the World cup, in Columbia their player was actually shot and killed for the crime of an own goal which ousted them from the world cup.

Your case simply isn't very strong, and again, I am not insulting you here, just stating what clearly is.
I'm saying that with respect to WJ hockey we have a miscalibrated attitude, every year. The fact that there are other examples of this doesn't contradict it. I don't think the Czech's are laying blame if they don't win. And I know the Swedes glorified the petulant antics of Andersson, so there are differences.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm saying that with respect to WJ hockey we have a miscalibrated attitude, every year. The fact that there are other examples of this doesn't contradict it. I don't think the Czech's are laying blame if they don't win. And I know the Swedes glorified the petulant antics of Andersson, so there are differences.
I never said Canada isn't hard on it's players in hockey.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
In fairness, Czechs are aware they are not on the same level. Generally speaking I think they're thrileld to be 4th in the group and are honoroed to be underdogs against Sweden.lol I can't imagine anyone thought Czechs were going all the way this year.lol
I never said Canada isn't hard on it's players in hockey.
Do you think the goalie problem (note: I think Canada produces amazing goalies but it gets mentioned a lot) is the pressue of being in net in front of an always stacked team? I keep thinking the biggest problem with Canadian goalies is the media/pressure and not the actual talent. Eg. I would not want to be a goalie for team Canada at the Jr's. Reminds me of Philly or the Oil that way.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I misread him writing Sir instead of Sik, I'm confused why you quoted that post instead of the relevant one.
I'm not sure what the discussion was but we might not have either.lol

Sir is injured.. might not be back
Sik will probably be suspended for a dickshot

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Do you think the goalie problem (note: I think Canada produces amazing goalies but it gets mentioned a lot) is the pressue of being in net in front of an always stacked team? I keep thinking the biggest problem with Canadian goalies is the media/pressure and not the actual talent. Eg. I would not want to be a goalie for team Canada at the Jr's. Reminds me of Philly or the Oil that way.[/QUOTE]

I've pondered that for sure, I mean, the whole team is under a tremendous amount of pressure the likes of which no other team here comes close to facing and these guys are teenagers of course.

I wonder if that is not doing us in many years more often then not, the blown leads thing like clockwork lately really lends even more credence to what you are bringing up here.

I mean, look at what happened to Comtois last year, a teenager getting roasted like that...............the players have heard about it as well as we have. I mean they get thrust into instant stars here as kids overnight due to one tournament, I can see it being overwhelming.

The tournament is so big here and you are demanded to win it, no excuses.

I wonder if it has now started to boomerang on us.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Do you think the goalie problem (note: I think Canada produces amazing goalies but it gets mentioned a lot) is the pressue of being in net in front of an always stacked team? I keep thinking the biggest problem with Canadian goalies is the media/pressure and not the actual talent. Eg. I would not want to be a goalie for team Canada at the Jr's. Reminds me of Philly or the Oil that way.

I've pondered that for sure, I mean, the whole team is under a tremendous amount of pressure the likes of which no other team here comes close to facing and these guys are teenagers of course.

I wonder if that is not doing us in many years more often then not, the blown leads thing like clockwork lately really lends even more credence to what you are bringing up here.

I mean, look at what happened to Comtois last year, a teenager getting roasted like that...............the players have heard about it as well as we have. I mean they get thrust into instant stars here as kids overnight due to one tournament, I can see it being overwhelming.

I wonder if it has now started to boomerang on us.[/QUOTE]
I vividly remember TSN saying routinely.. year after year... back in the early 90's the line that Canada (specifically Quebec Goalie Factory) could supply a number 1 goalie for every nation. They were miles ahead.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I wonder if it has now started to boomerang on us.
I vividly remember TSN saying routinely.. year after year... back in the early 90's the line that Canada (specifically Quebec Goalie Factory) could supply a number 1 goalie for every nation. They were miles ahead.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they could have, goaltending was usually always the trump card for Canada at international events historically, even when they fielded teams that were not as good or talented as others Canadas goalies many more times then not bailed them out.

Complete reversal now, saw it developing about 10 years or so ago and I noted it as a more pressing concern as every year mounted. Seems everyone at HC had their head in the sand.....................I didn't.

Reactions: SOLR

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I vividly remember TSN saying routinely.. year after year... back in the early 90's the line that Canada (specifically Quebec Goalie Factory) could supply a number 1 goalie for every nation. They were miles ahead.
Yeah, they could have, goaltending was usually always the trump card for Canada at international events historically, even when they fielded teams that were not as good or talented as others Canadas goalies many more times then not bailed them out.

Complete reversal now, saw it developing about 10 years or so ago and I noted it as a more pressing concern as every year mounted. Seems everyone at HC had their head in the sand.....................I didn't.[/QUOTE]

in the sand? try bank accounts. That's where their heads are buried. Canadian fans are not without blame here.

Hockey Canada is not in the winning tournaments business, they are in the making money business.

Happy New Year.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
in Columbia their player was actually shot and killed for the crime of an own goal which ousted them from the world cup.

Well in fairness to the people of Colombia, he was murdered by a cartel. They killed people for no reason whatsoever. Over 100 thousand showed up to Escobars (the player who scored in his own net) funeral. That says more about Colombians than the ruthless cartel jerks who ruined the name of a beautiful country.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well in fairness to the people of Colombia, he was murdered by a cartel. They killed people for no reason whatsoever. Over 100 thousand showed up to Escobars (the player who scored in his own net) funeral. That says more about Colombians than the ruthless cartel jerks who ruined the name of a beautiful country.
Nothing against the people of Columbia, he was still murdered due to an own goal, it shows you how crazy it can gets over sports.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Complete reversal now, saw it developing about 10 years or so ago and I noted it as a more pressing concern as every year mounted. Seems everyone at HC had their head in the sand.....................I didn't.

in the sand? try bank accounts. That's where their heads are buried. Canadian fans are not without blame here.

Hockey Canada is not in the winning tournaments business, they are in the making money business.
Yeah, well then their heads are still in the sand then because if they keep losing tournaments they will eventually begin to lose money because people will tune out.

Happy New Year.[/QUOTE]

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Nothing against the people of Columbia, he was still murdered due to an own goal, it shows you how crazy it can gets over sports.

Ya...just pointing out in that case it was someone who'd killed before, not just some random football fan.

But fans can and do get ridiculously dramatic over a simple game.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Ya...just pointing out in that case it was someone who'd killed before, not just some random football fan.

But fans can and do get ridiculously dramatic over a simple game.
I get it, it was still over football though, end result is still the same. Whether the guy had killed before makes little difference to me .............if he hadn't made that own goal he would still be alive( well, you can never really know that for sure in Columbia at the time) So it was over football.

I get what you are saying though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad