Game 2 WHL vs Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Don't see a threat yet so I'll start one. Half way through the 1st. 0-0. Brule just absolutely killed a Russian forward, total Scott Stevens hit as he was cutting up the the middle in the trolly tracks.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Still 0-0 after the 1st. Another gigantic hit in the last minute by Phanuef.

Last I heard the shots were 11-1 for the WHL team. My guess for the period total would be about 14-2.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
nomorekids said:
any reason why?

It's a 29 man roster so there are a ton of changes from last night's game. No obvious reasons for choices but a lot had to do with the schedules of their regular teams.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
nomorekids said:
any reason why?

Guess Sutter wants to look at a variety of players.

I was all pumped up to watch Barker yesterday and it didn't happen.

Seabrook looks good tonight. Nice wrister on the first Canada goal.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
3-1 after two periods.

Lemtuygov is the best Russian by far, he's pretty electric out there but he's pretty small and I don't really think his game will translate well at the next level. Very exciting player to watch at this level though.

Lemtuygov scored the only Russian goal, he got a breakaway, was stopped and kicked in the rebound but the ref's let it stand.

Fehr scored another on a beauty pass by Stone. Fehr also assisted on Chipchura's goal.

Phanuef is gone for the game after a hit from behind, kind of an iffy call as the player turned and it was pretty much right against the glass so no real chance for an injury.

Michalishyn is also gone after an ugly high stick, trying to defend himself from a hit. He got five and a game.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Big Deaner said:
Did someone spit at another player? I just caught the tail end of it but they said someone got 2 and 10 for spitting. :dunno:

Maybe you heard the Phanuef hitting from behind penalty? He got 2 and a game.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
That 5 minute major penalthy to Michalishyn just ended after Team WHL scored three goals. This Russian goalie is not very good.

5-1
17:00 left

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
WOW. Getzlaf has to be the most frustrating player to watch ever. He's amazing all over the ice and then needs someone to hold his hand to put the puck in an empty net. Just like at the World Juniors last year.

Also, Phanuef is back, he must have gotten 2 and a 10 and not 2 and a game.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
That was funny, Lemtuygov tried to start a fight with anyone he could find, eventually wound up with Chipchura and was pulling his hair. Then when he got thrown out he was leaving and calling on the WHL bench. :lol:

Oh man he'd get eaten alive by almost anyone on that bench.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
In the end it was 5-2.

Dustin Boyd was the player of the game for Canada and he deserved it, he was very impressive. Especially for such a young guy. I'm pretty sure Voloshenko was the Russian game star. He scored the second goal and looked as good as anyone on his team, he was clearly the most dangerous player they had.

Shawn Belle was also good back on the point, Barker didn't do much. Phaneuf was good as usual. Fehr is great. Brule was very dissapointing, other than his huge hit early he faded away. Didn't get a ton of ice time though. I can't see him coming close to making the national junior team, I'd be very surprized if he were invited to the camp. If he is, it will likely be for experience only, I don't think he's a good candidate to play this year.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
:lol

Lemuygov (sp?) was pimp slapping and pulling Chipchura's hair, as if he was on the payroll... Him and Mikhailshin were nothing short of a disgrace over the course of the last 4 games. Really they were the core of all the cheapshots (and garbage), it wasn't a team wide thing with the Russians.

Anyways, more of the same.... WHL dominance.

And on a side note, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is the last series of it's kind. It's simply not worth it, too many negatives to go forward with this format IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->