GDT: Game 2: Rangers @ Sabres - 7pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

SeaL

Nov 25, 2014
Do we even score this game? I hope so. 3-2 Good Guys. Skinner, Rhino, Dahlin. Also predicting a couple, big, own zone screw ups by the Rags, which lead directly to at least one goal. Overly specific? heh

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Ten years from now when the Sabres are 5 time Stanley Cup champions this will be the game that's remembered as the one where it all came together for Housley. The game where time slowed down, where Housley could see into the future and counter every move by the opponent. He will become a coaching savant. Housley will dazzle the media with profound quotes, "you've got to get pucks to the nets", "you've got to keep it simple", "you have to play the entire 60 minutes", "who's buying the beer?", "you have to pay the price", and many more. In a secluded village high in the mountains of Western Canada whispers will circulate that the hockey lama has returned.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It was game 1

Everyone sucked
I meant all through preseason. They had some strong shifts but overall didn't look any better than any other combo of X, Eichel, and Reinhart, much like Kane. Skinner will provide scoring from a second line which is key to this team being even half-decent. Sheary is a great fit on paper. If he didn't get hurt he probably would've been tried there in the preseason.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
This game should be a win.

There is no excuse for losing but I am sure posters already have a couple ready.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
There's no excuse for losing except this team isn't good. How can any game be a "should win" at this point? The only should for me is showing fire, confidence, and purpose.
This team is good tho and they are better than you think they are which means there is no reason to lose this game unless we get out coached again and that's not even an excuse it's just a handicapp we've been dealt with.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
There's no excuse for losing except this team isn't good. How can any game be a "should win" at this point? The only should for me is showing fire, confidence, and purpose.
Strongly disagree. This isn't the tank years or even last year. We have a lot of talent, this team should absolutely have higher expectations than just showing up. Did last year's Devils really have much more talent than we do?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
This team is good tho and they are better than you think they are which means there is no reason to lose this game unless we get out coached again and that's not even an excuse it's just a handicapp we've been dealt with.
I really think people are overstating the impact of coaching two games into the season. Even if Housley is an awful coach, talent/effort/confidence probably should trump strategy at this point. This is the second game of the season, not game 7 of a playoff series.

Reactions: Zman5778

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I really think people are overstating the impact of coaching two games into the season. Even if Housley is an awful coach, talent/effort/confidence probably should trump strategy at this point. This is the second game of the season, not game 7 of a playoff series.

Sometimes even a good team has trouble getting out of bed for a useless coach just look at ManU this year.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
It's not 2 games, it's 83 and counting.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If we can't beat a team who have publicly made it known they have no intention of trying to win this season on home ice I just f***ing give up.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
It's not 2 games, it's 83 and counting.
Er... my post was less about Housley and more about the significance of coaching in general at this point. But you do you.

This isn't two great teams fighting for their lives here that need every advantage to win, it's two bad to middling teams shaking the rust off and getting back in the swing of things. If there's a point in the season where strategy/coaching matters least... it's right now. The harder working, more talented, more confident team will win almost every time... something the Sabres could very well be even if Housley is terrible.

Game 7 of a playoff series, or two teams one win away from a wildcard spot? That's a different story.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The Rangers scoring depth can be problematic, but they also have one good defensive player. This should be the game Skinner and Mittelstadt break through, but if the depth lines get boat-raced we're probably in for a really long season.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
ERod on the 4th line is already pissing me off.
I’m hoping he can move off it whenever Larsson returns. That said his line was the best one in the opener. I’d almost rather give them more ice time as a line. Force the other lines to fight to get more ice time.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
If we can't beat a team who have publicly made it known they have no intention of trying to win this season on home ice I just ****ing give up.
The better team wins hockey games what, 65% of the time?

This is such an overreaction

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad