Game #2 : Kings @ Jets - 10/4/13 - 3-5L

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Matt Frattin has been invisible the past two games. To be honest he reminds me a lot of Brad Richardson; has speed, can play along the boards and can put the puck in the net from time to time but nothing special. We cant expect much from Clifford when Sutter only gives him 10 minutes of ice time every game; Sutter has some sorta gay crush with some of the players like King, Muzzin, etc.
The fact that he had his best year in scoring (7g & 7a) and played better than King don't mean squat. We have better option in Frattin. And if he doesn't pan out, then hopefully, and I do mean HOPEFULLY, we can give Pearson a chance. If Sutter wants to move Clifford up to 3rd line from time to time, I'm fine with that, but for now, he's a serviceable 4th liner.

I just can't understand how you think Clifford deserves to play on a 2nd line, but you don't think that Nolan should even play on the 4th line. Can't agree with your thinking there.

KingKopitar11*

Sutter is a lucky coach to have a great Team, I believe he's a good coach during games but when it comes to making line up changes and game decisions he's pretty crappy, I do respect the on ice performance he gives during the game but he has some really bad qualities.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Willie had a tough game.

His footspeed is way down. He will pick it up and get it back together. He has to or he will drop down the list.

Overall the only problem I have with tonights game is the lack of hustle and effort in critical areas. We looked big and slow and the Jets looked big and hungry. They got allot of home ice advantage calls but then that is to be expected. They played a good game and so did we for short stretches.

I can tell you that if we can't rise to the occasion for more then short stretches then we are going to have a bumpy start.

The thing to me is this, allot of teams the Jets included have taken a page out of our own handbook and are relying on fresh big legs who are hungry and surrounding them with solid capable vets.

We have to return to being the blueprint and stop relying on our talent. It will come I don't have any doubt at all about it. The question is how long will it take before personal responsibility is brought back to our exceptional team play.

100% no reason to worry at all or to make any drastic changes yet. It is early on and we will pick it back up. If not we will see the kids on the team sooner rather than later which I think would be premature.

Agree with both the bolded. The Jets tonight just wanted it more. The Jets dictated the game tonight. They played fast, they played hard. The Kings were unable to get their cycle game going, unable to maintain possession like they like to. The Kings are a big tough team that need to wear teams down to win the game. They instead allowed the Jets to use their capable skating and passing D to push the play forward, instead of wearing them down and punishing them down like they want to.

The Kings have not looked good early, they need to start dictating the play, grinding and taking it to the opponents. But it is VERY early, and with the skill on this roster I am not at all concerned.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Did you wear your Brown J? I saw a guy in a p&g Brown J on tv. He was sitting next to a couple of other guys wearing old p&g jerseys. One of them were bald or sort of bald. Was that you?

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Sutter is a lucky coach to have a great Team, I believe he's a good coach during games but when it comes to making line up changes and game decisions he's pretty crappy, I do respect the on ice performance he gives during the game but he has some really bad qualities.

The best thing Sutter did was not be Terry Murray. We should be happy to have him though, because he is about average in the league, and that's fine with me

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Did you wear your Brown J? I saw a guy in a p&g Brown J on tv. He was sitting next to a couple of other guys wearing old p&g jerseys. One of them were bald or sort of bald. Was that you?

Nah I'm way up in the upper deck so I doubt it. There was zero Kings fans in my section (my buddy drew the short straw so he went with me, but he was embarrased lol), the season opener makes opposing fans way more rare. I am not balding either :laugh:

Tg, you have an open invitation to attend a game with me, I have an extra ticket for the game in March, so if you or kingsfan or any regular here wants to see the Kings in action in Winnipeg this spring, let me know and I'll hook that up :nod:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
This loss tonight is on Sutter. I just don't get his fascinations of playing Quick 2 days in a row especially after how much he had to work the previous night. Did he not even watch last year? Quick was terrible in B2B games.

As for Mitchell, I think he will be fine. He is still trying to get back to game form and is clearly a step or two behind, but he will regain that as the season goes along. Although, I wouldn't mind to have Ellerby in there tonight to give him a rest.

As for Regehr, man he had a tough night. Looked slow and got beat to the outside on multiple occasions. That penalty he took with about 4 min. to go really killed the team after that.

Frattin... I'm on the fence because there were at times where he looked lost and invisible and then there were times where he was making stuff happen. I'd like to see him play with a lot more physicality because that's why Dl brought him in and he really hasn't shown as much as we'd like him to. I think he is still getting his feet wet and he should be more comfortable as the year goes on. There is a reason why we play 82 games and not 2.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Hey Holden.

Thanks man and if you want to check out a UND game I can get you in no worries. I was in Minny on Wed and tried to make the game in wpg tonight but just couldn't do it. The Jets looked good tonight. Hungry and mean.

On the TV they showed 3 guys wearing Purple and Gold jerseys all sitting together and I got all excited for a minute. I thought HEY I KNOW THAT GUY but I guess not. Did you wear a hat? I think it went left to right A guy in a DB p&g jersey wearing a cap and then a couple of other guys wearing old King jerseys,

Oh well, could have been the hour.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
They got allot of home ice advantage calls but then that is to be expected.

Maybe I'll watch the game, but I was at the game and have to respectfully disagree.

1) Net off moorings incident. Should've been blown down right away. Refs burned valuable PP time in which the Jets could not score.

2) Evander Kane high stick with his glove. It was a shot too, which is allowed. It also ended up with a goal against.

3) Multiple offside calls that weren't called against the Kings

4) At least two offside calls against the Jets that shouldn't have been

I certainly didn't like all the scrums, and kinda surprised there weren't more penalties for those.

I was shocked how much your Kings manhandled us in the first. Noel made the adjustments, the biggest one I noticed was no breakouts up the boards. It could've easily been 3-1 after the first period, but Pavs stood on his head.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Our team worked hard, but not smart. You take 18 shots in the first period and you don't come out of it with a 2 or 3 goal lead and you're gunna lose the game.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Maybe I'll watch the game, but I was at the game and have to respectfully disagree.

1) Net off moorings incident. Should've been blown down right away. Refs burned valuable PP time in which the Jets could not score.

2) Evander Kane high stick with his glove. It was a shot too, which is allowed. It also ended up with a goal against.

3) Multiple offside calls that weren't called against the Kings

4) At least two offside calls against the Jets that shouldn't have been

I certainly didn't like all the scrums, and kinda surprised there weren't more penalties for those.

I was shocked how much your Kings manhandled us in the first. Noel made the adjustments, the biggest one I noticed was no breakouts up the boards. It could've easily been 3-1 after the first period, but Pavs stood on his head.

The time on the mooring thing should have been added to the clock for sure.

The rest I can count three separate times that Jets boarded a King player, twice on Doughty alone and there were of course a couple of times where you guys got away with allot more after the whistle then you should have.

That said, penalties weren't the reason that your Jets beat us tonight. You earned the win and we played very very poorly. It is early and we have some readjusting and digging to do but tonight the Jets won because they were hungrier and better prepared.

I think we would love to have this game back because we did have a good 1st but then you guys were all over us so I am not certain it would have mattered. I have called you guys a playoff team since this offseason and I stand by it, you are going to be a pretty good team this year and a better one the next.

I think we are going back to the finals this year after a few adjustments are made and the last time I felt this was back in 12, even when most of us had lost sight of their faith (for a little bit). It would be great to meet you in the playoffs for sure.

You guys are a good young team and beat us fair and square.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I've been beating this drum since July 5th, 2013 and everyone has always scoffed at the idea. "We have 9 NHL ready defensemen." Okay, this is where you painfully learn that quantity does not equate to quality.

Right now, I see two bonafide top four defensemen on this team in Doughty and Voynov. Two. That's just not going to cut it in the long run. Regehr and Greene are completely redundant players and one of them needs to sit on a nightly basis in favor of some younger, quicker legs.

Mitchell is not replacing Scuderi because Mitchell is not the same player he was in 11/12. Maybe he "gets his game legs" by game 20 something, or maybe not? Maybe this is just the Mitchell we have now. Better than no Mitchell, I guess. But not when your other two defensive stalwarts are Greene and ****ing Regehr.

Two games in, overreaction, yadda yadda. I get it. But for those not acknowledging the current and potential future issues on the blueline really need to open their eyes. We have a very old and slow defense this season.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Cool stuff. I did notice some calls on both sides weren't being called.

I didn't like the after whistle stuff, and that is completely out of character for our team. Expect guys to get reamed out. Noel is very much a "keep it between the whistles" coach.

I hope we make the playoffs too. Playing against LA would be a dandy, two heavy teams that love throwing the body. People were saying the Jets wouldn't be able to handle the size and weight of the western conference, the truth is we're near the top in both height and weight.

One thing that I've always loved about LA is their wicked PK. To me it's the model. Our PK is brutal in comparison. The gap control, aggressiveness, and timing is impeccable.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The time on the mooring thing should have been added to the clock for sure.

The rest I can count three separate times that Jets boarded a King player, twice on Doughty alone and there were of course a couple of times where you guys got away with allot more after the whistle then you should have.

That said, penalties weren't the reason that your Jets beat us tonight. You earned the win and we played very very poorly. It is early and we have some readjusting and digging to do but tonight the Jets won because they were hungrier and better prepared.

I think we would love to have this game back because we did have a good 1st but then you guys were all over us so I am not certain it would have mattered. I have called you guys a playoff team since this offseason and I stand by it, you are going to be a pretty good team this year and a better one the next.

I think we are going back to the finals this year after a few adjustments are made and the last time I felt this was back in 12, even when most of us had lost sight of their faith (for a little bit). It would be great to meet you in the playoffs for sure.

You guys are a good young team and beat us fair and square.

Respectfully disagree--that was simply a referee error in which they didn't catch it / blow it down when appropriate. You see seconds added to faceoffs, goal reviews in which a puck went in the net but play went on, etc., but usually not on something like that (though it's a very unusual situation so I may be wrong--it's definitely been way too long since i reffed!). I think the refs are still a step slow, too...for both sides, I might add.

I still don't see why everyone is riled up. I think we can make some adjustments in the next EIGHTY games. Again, we played back-to-back on the road in loud buildings for their home openers in which quotes from both teams were using this as a measuring stick game. Both teams got insanely up for the Kings who looked pretty flat.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I disagree ritchie.

Yes WM so far is showing that he has a ways to go. Will he even be able to reach where he needs to be? I honestly don't know. I am up in the air on him.

In DD and Voynov we have two elite level top pairing Dmen. Two number ones.

So having DD and VV paired with solid SAH D gives us two top pairing D units. I agree that RR so far isn't looking like he has picked up much over the offseason but again it is just too danged early to throw in the towel.

Muzzin and A Mart are both solid 3rd pairing Dmen with A Mart being more than capable of playing along side of Greene giving us a solid 3rd unit. Muzzin could be relied on to play along side any one of our SAH vets too.

So it comes down to which Vets we can rely on. I say that Greene can still do his job very well and that is be a 3rd pairing SAH Dman who can play with a little grit.

Willie either will or wont be able to regain his form, time will tell and if he does then we are more than golden. If he doesn't then we might have to find a better option. We do have 9 NHL capable on our team and the benefit to that is that we have several exceptional options if needed to remedy any problems we might have.

We can move Regehr or Muzzin for a solid upgrade. I know that the Flames were interested in a Giordano for Muzzin (+/-) deal this summer and with the team that they have they might still be looking to do so this year to name one possibility.

We also have Forbort on the farm who holds allot of value if we need to add to get. My point is that we are deep enough to overcome any problem on D if needed that might come along so I am just not worried about it. Not yet for sure.

Up front well that is where we will either succeed or make a few big changes but we are also very deep at every forward position to where we can easily find what we are looking for from within.

I agree that we will likely need to make adjustments to the team in order to regain our dominant game but we had to do that in 12 as well. I guess that is why I don't agree entirely with what you are saying. Of course we aren't perfectly set up yet but we just played the second game of the season and we will only wait so long before we remedy any serious situations so it is just a matter of time before our current roster picks things up (which I believe is likely) or we make a few adjustments.

No biggie, not yet anyways and imo not really a biggie at all but I can see why some of us can get concerned.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Respectfully disagree--that was simply a referee error in which they didn't catch it / blow it down when appropriate. You see seconds added to faceoffs, goal reviews in which a puck went in the net but play went on, etc., but usually not on something like that (though it's a very unusual situation so I may be wrong--it's definitely been way too long since i reffed!). I think the refs are still a step slow, too...for both sides, I might add.

I still don't see why everyone is riled up. I think we can make some adjustments in the next EIGHTY games. Again, we played back-to-back on the road in loud buildings for their home openers in which quotes from both teams were using this as a measuring stick game. Both teams got insanely up for the Kings who looked pretty flat.

Other than the clock thing we agree completely.

;)

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Well, season's over guys. Any good lottery draft picks on the radar?

KingKopitar11*

Calling Ziggy come in Ziggy.

I'll do my best impersonation, wish me luck.

"Fairweather fans, you're so dramatic it's the first two games. Go be a fan of another team. Some people just don't understand hockey, I've been watching hockey since the Kings were around. You aren't a true fan, Sutter for president"

Accurate?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'll do my best impersonation, wish me luck.

"Fairweather fans, you're so dramatic it's the first two games. Go be a fan of another team. Some people just don't understand hockey, I've been watching hockey since the Kings were around. You aren't a true fan, Sutter for president"

Accurate?

Only imbeciles would blame the bottom six for tonight's loss. Did you guys pay any attention to who was out there when the Jets scored? Oh hey, those weren't bottom six forwards putting the puck in the net for the Jets. What's that? King, Nolan, Fraser, Clifford were the only forwards to finish with an even +/- rating? How is that possible when they're at fault for this loss?

Maybe I should lose a few brain cells and be as fickle as some of you who like to blame these bottom line guys who were on the ice for 10 or less minutes and ignore the fact that everyone in the top 6 was a minus player, oh and that Muzzin guy that seems the need to be protected was a -3. Nope, let's ignore those facts and just blame the usual suspects who aren't doing anything positive or negative.

Perhaps you guys should pay attention to what is going on out there? You might learn something. The easy targets you guys pick on are a small part of a bigger problem. But hey, don't let it stop you lemmings from repeating each other like parrots.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad